Why are you happy today?

17,529 posts in this topic

I was stupid enough to get up early and sit on the Lidl carpark till they opened... was home at 0830...

Now, the road into and out or the village is blocked!  2 accidents! road closed!!    Thank you snow!!!  

Chill time, me thinks!

Fame at last! I's gonna be blowing my horn on BBC Radio 4... for 5 whole seconds :lol:

(And it all started with me wanting to bug the shit out of my nocturnally noisy neighbours from hell a decade ago. Which I did with some success. :ph34r:)

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Against Barrow??   hardly sommat worth writing home about

It is when you‘re bottom of the league!!! 😂

You‘re scraping the barrow with that comment!

1 minute ago, john g. said:

It is when you‘re bottom of the league!!! 😂

You‘re scraping the barrow with that comment!

That's what I In-Fur-nessed John. :lol: 

A week ago I ordered a hard copy subscription to my regional paper, the Südkurier.  I’ve been able to understand enough to maintain interest and discipline so that each day it’s easier and I’m encouraged in my German learning.  Today I read about a dog in Sachsen-Anhalt who saved two sleeping people in a burning gazebo by barking at the top of his lungs.  ❤️ 🐕 

I am happy that I am flying to Athens tomorrow morning ( though unhappy because I know I will sleep badly because I have to get up at 5 ) to check into an eye hospital to finally ( hopefully ) sort out a long-standing problem.

With a bit of luck, I will no longer be a gorgeous one-eyed man soon but a gorgeous two-eyed man!😂

I might even be able to stop bumping into tree branches soon! I mean, they get in the way!😂👍🏼🙏🏻

My wife signed up for a fitness studio a couple of years ago and was quite happy with it for a while, then the pandemic kicked in. In fact her contract was up for (automatic) renewal and she took her eye off the ball and found herself locked into another year's contract. Simultaneously she had increasing problems with her foot that meant that she genuinely was having difficulty doing anything but the simplest workout or yoga, and got an Attest from the doctor to confirm this...

However sports studios are known to be absolute sticklers for locking people into contracts and for the last 8 months we've had this bizarre situation where they've deducted the monthly fee and I've reversed it; all letters (sent by registered post) were ignored and it looked like this was going to be a long drawn out business with a strong likelihood that she (= we as we have a joint bank account) would end up losing out long term.

We started getting cookie cutter emails asking for payment but infuriatingly with no acknowledgement whatsoever of correspondence or indeed her medical condition - they simply ignored her. In sheer frustration I decided to send a letter not in German but in English stating her (our) frustration and wondering (somewhat sarcastically) if the fact that so many of their trainers were English speakers that they he'd had difficulties understanding German, and then spelled out the chronology and key issues over the 8 months or so this had been going on.

To be honest we had given up hope, but in the first week of 2021 an email came out of the blue - auf Deutsch - that her membership had been cancelled and that there were no further claims. 

So despite the annoyance of having to reverse the direct debit every month, it all worked out in the end. Perhaps the absurdity of the situation helped - the pandemic meant that the studio has been shut since early November anyway.

But we felt it was an unexpectedly good start to the New Year. And I had a whisky or two to celebrate.

Slainte!

Winter is about to start belatedly but this early morning picture is defiant!!

3B45124E-9DDE-4097-9806-BA0C35901DFB.jpeg

Red sky at night, sailors' delight.

Red sky in the morning, sailors' warning.

Once had them in Scunthorpe! Which is pretty far south. My dad fetched us out to admire the night sky but we were too young to be impressed.

There's snow on the ground and I got my TELC Deutsch B2 Certificate! Passed with flying colours too! Got an overall score of 280,5/300 (93.5%)

I was the most scared for talking, as I get terribly nervous talking for marks since my school days. Got 73/75 for that part!

The letter, where I had written without reading properly, and only by pure luck, lightly touched on the points they wanted, I had gotten full marks! I guess, I surprised myself. :)