Why are you happy today?

17,536 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Does it have to be up there in the cold? How about a change for somewhere warmer? 

Back to Brazil!ūüėā

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Switzerland?

:angry: Are you trying to say that Switzerland is part of Germany? The Swiss will not like that. If anything parts of Germany would like to become part of Switzerland. 

https://www.handelszeitung.ch/politik/schwaben-und-bayern-wollen-zur-schweiz-gehoeren-634532

https://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/inhalt.einschweizerung-schwaben-sollen-der-schweiz-beitreten.155fff5f-96ea-40ae-ba75-693447ea635a.html

https://www.nzz.ch/leserdebatte/leserdebatte-soll-baden-wuerttemberg-27-kanton-werden-ld.1310826

And anyway: 

Grosse Kanton¬†steht f√ľr Deutschland.¬†Der Begriff stammt aus der zweiten H√§lfte des 19.¬†Jahrhunderts und nahm damals Bezug auf die starke Einwanderung aus Deutschland.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanton_(Schweiz)#Umgangssprachliche_Verwendung

No I just meant somewhere warmer. Northern Germany is not somewhere I'd want to retire to really.

On 18.12.2020, 07:24:36, AlexTr said:

I already grabbed the stuff for our tiramisu.

And I just found out I will be having homemade gyoza (Japanese potstickers) on Christmas Eve.

Things already look brighter. :)

3 hours ago, Metall said:

And I just found out I will be having homemade gyoza (Japanese potstickers) on Christmas Eve.

Things already look brighter. :)

Mandu! Excellent!

12 hours ago, john g. said:

We have a separate rented holiday home just a few kilometres away. We will keep that for the future. We can’t buy a new place in the Hamburg area till we sell this place. We are ok but not Monaco-style rich.

Corona is the issue. And the entailing (in)flexibility right now. I was in Hamburg in March and had to interrupt discussions with the relevant parties when the Greeks announced they were closing the airports - got back one day before that happened.

Then eg foreigners with their camper vans were stuck on the beach for 4 months and not allowed to even leave the immediate area.

Dogs are always a problem. Down to two of our own but still a problem.

We are also no longer 21...and definitely can’t kip in a mate’s spare room for weeks and months and with two dogs.

But didn't you mention that you are registered in Germany? You have an address here? Why can't you stay there until you get things sorted out?

Actually, I'm quite puzzled that you didn't apply for German or rather dual citizenship when Brexit loomed on the horizon. I'm only a few years older than you but life experience of 74 years in two countries (which just before I was born were enemies) taught me how very quickly laws and situations can change, so I went for dual citizenship as soon as I heard about the referundum. Sorry, John, but all your diddling around until the very last minute is just plain irresponsible. The same applies to your eye problem. What does Nicole say?

41 minutes ago, bramble said:

But didn't you mention that you are registered in Germany? You have an address here? Why can't you stay there until you get things sorted out?

Actually, I'm quite puzzled that you didn't apply for German or rather dual citizenship when Brexit loomed on the horizon. I'm only a few years older than you but life experience of 74 years in two countries (which just before I was born were enemies) taught me how very quickly laws and situations can change, so I went for dual citizenship as soon as I heard about the referundum. Sorry, John, but all your diddling around until the very last minute is just plain irresponsible. The same applies to your eye problem.

Very harsh words. Taking up a second citizenship is a personal choice and definitely not for everyone. It's also not at all necessary to do this in order to remain here and you know it. 

At this stage John merely needs to get in contact with his local foreigners office where he is registered to make sure he is listed with them - this is all I have done for myself as our local office (email and website) said that this is all there is to do at this stage. 

We all have until the end of June 2021 just to simply apply for the residence card. My understanding is that this is now in German law.

The issuing of the card could potentially be later than that. 

If you are a legal resident on 31.12.20 your rights are already secured under the WA and apart from the necessary issuing of the card will be treated largely as EU citizens after the end of the transition period. ;) 

Anything else is just silly fearmongering. Please stop doing this - there are already others who have done this on here for years on a regular basis - it only causes people to become confused and despondent - and it's not nice. :( 

15 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Very harsh words. 

Because I care. He's mentioned about leaving Greece for quite a while now, even started a thread about it. 

17 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Taking up a second citizenship is a personal choice and definitely not for everyone.

There are obvious advantages about having a second citizenship. 

19 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

We all have until the end of June 2021 just to simply apply for the residence card. My understanding is that this is now in German law.

Not actually being here in person might be a problem, though. It would worry me. 

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

Not actually being here in person might be a problem, though. It would worry me. 

Which is why I have already suggested he get back here at some point. He needs to get back by the end of June presumably - unless the procedure can be done by email. But I don't think they will send the card without having seen the person.

38 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Taking up a second citizenship is a personal choice and definitely not for everyone. It's also not at all necessary to do this in order to remain here and you know it. 

However, it may become a problem if you want/need to do country hopping within the EU. Imagine e. g. you want to move from Germany to Greece and back after a few years.

38 minutes ago, jeba said:

However, it may become a problem if you want/need to do country hopping with the EU. Imagine e. g. you want to move from Germany to Greece and back after a few years.

True. Which is why I said it is an entirely personal choice. I'm in a similar situation to John and am physically in Switzerland owing to personal circumstances, but resident in Germany where my rights are secure if I'm resident on 31.12.20 - I don't need to apply for citizenship.

I have options in several other EU and non-EU countries and territories, none of which need citizenship or present other (new) obstacles caused by Brexit.

People seem to forget very quickly that Brexit happened way back in January 2020 and we left with a deal. :rolleyes: 

The transition period was also a chance for anyone who wanted to take the plunge and move countries to secure their rights in a different country, to do just that - including EU citizens who moved to the UK to benefit from the reciprocal agreement

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

...resident in Germany where my rights are supposed to be secure if I'm resident on 31.12.20.

FTFY.

Excuse my cynicism.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

I'm only a few years older than you but life experience of 74 years in two countries (which just before I was born were enemies) taught me how very quickly laws and situations can change, so I went for dual citizenship as soon as I heard about the referundum. 

I'm Irish not British and even though Ireland is a committed member state I decided after the referendum that anything is possible in this crazy world so began the process of naturalisation here. It was essentially put on hold by the ABH because they are snowed under by applications from Brits and us EU citizens have been pushed to the bottom of the pile. That's what I was told by my Sachbearbeiterin. Two years since I handed in my completed paperwork and counting.

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Anything else is just silly fearmongering. Please stop doing this - there are already others who have done this on here for years on a regular basis - it only causes people to become confused and despondent - and it's not nice. 

I have never fearmongered on this site, mostly only offered advice. It's better to be on the safe side than sorry. 

20 minutes ago, bramble said:

It's better to be on the safe side than sorry. 

My understanding is that John is safe as he is registered as a resident in Germany and thus will be on 31.12.20. 

He would only be 'sorry' as you put it if he failed to apply for the card before 30.6.21. ;) 

I think 6 months is ample to get this done, whether it involves coming to Germany at some stage or not - it probably does, if not to apply, but at least to pick up the card, but potentially this could happen only in May or June, oir even later if the application is accepted by email. :) 

32 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

He would only be 'sorry' as you put it if he failed to apply for the card before 30.6.21. ;)

I don't believe that one applies for "a card".

I'm in Schleswig-Holstein (not a million miles from Hamburg) & in March 2019 they sent me (without me requesting) a 4-page "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels / Application for a Residence Permit".

I filled this out & handed it in personally (the building is almost adjacent to my fitness center) & a few days later got a letter stating that I had fristgerecht applied & that until they decided I could stay...

How residence is proven is not described (& IMHO does not need to be) - whether a card, a stamp on the forehead or whatever...

If one ignores such post or is not available to comply with the request to fill out & submit forms then...

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

I don't believe that one applies for "a card".

I'm in Schleswig-Holstein (not a million miles from Hamburg) & in March 2019 they sent me (without me requesting) a 4-page "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels / Application for a Residence Permit".

I filled this out & handed it in personally (the building is almost adjacent to my fitness center) & a few days later got a letter stating that I had fristgerecht applied & that until they decided I could stay...

How residence is proven is not described (& IMHO does not need to be) - whether a card, a stamp on the forehead or whatever...

If one ignores such post or is not available to comply with the request to fill out & submit forms then...

In different areas they have been doing things in different ways. The law was only written this year, after the WA was obtained. So I'm not sure if anything that was done back in 2019 is now relevant. The law on the status of British citizens comes into play on 1.1.21, based on whether the British citizen was a legal resident of Germany on the preceding day i.e. 31.12.20. We haven't even reached that date yet. 

26 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

My understanding is that John is safe as he is registered as a resident in Germany and thus will be on 31.12.20. 

I think 6 months is ample to get this done, whether it involves coming to Germany at some stage or not - it probably does, if not to apply, but at least to pick up the card, but potentially this could happen only in May or June, oir even later if the application is accepted by email. :) 

My understanding is that he has only just recently applied for registration in Greece ...

... although they don't even have an Einwohnermeldeamt there and therefore don't have to register: 

https://www.rechtsanwalt-griechenland.de/blog/der-aufenthalt-in-griechenland/#:~:text=In%20Griechenland%20gibt%20es%20keine,daher%20nicht%20vorgesehen%20und%20m%C3%B6glich.

1.7 Einwohnermeldewesen

In Griechenland gibt es keine Einwohnermeldeämter wie z.B. in Deutschland. Eine Anmeldung zusätzlich zur Aufenthaltserlaubnis ist daher nicht vorgesehen und möglich.
Bei einem längeren Aufenthalt in Griechenland, wie er bei einem Antrag auf die griechische Aufenthaltserlaubnis vorliegt, wird nach deutschen Meldevorschriften in der Regel die Abmeldung beim deutschen Einwohnermeldeamt des letzten Wohnsitzes notwendig.

1.7 Residents' registration office
There are no registration offices in Greece as there are in Germany, for example. Registration in addition to the residence permit is therefore not provided for and possible.
In the case of a longer stay in Greece, as is the case with an application for the Greek residence permit, according to German registration regulations it is usually necessary to deregister at the German residents' registration office of the last place of residence.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

John's move could complicate matters depending on the thoroughness of the famous German bureacracy. This is providing useful information to think about, not fearmongering, by the way. 

25 minutes ago, bramble said:

My understanding is that he has only just recently applied for registration in Greece ...

That may be. But it should not affect the German residence - i.e. it shouldn't be cancelled and thus he retains his residence on 31.12.20 and it continues, qualifying him for the Alt Briten status as per the WA and German law. 

You can be resident in more than one country, particularly if there is little or no communication between them. My partner is. 

De jure you can be resident in no country for any length of time. This can be particularly advantageous for tax purposes.