Why are you happy today?

17,132 posts in this topic

Thanks for the update, John. They're so cute. And in good hands now. :)

On 2/7/2020, 8:33:37, john g. said:

A week or two ago, a couple of puppies were abandoned at our local beach. They came over to our table.

Today, whilst out with one of our dogs at the square, I spotted them and a young Greek asked me in English if I could help grab them and put them in his car so he could rescue them.

" Where are you  taking them?"

" To the rescue centre,Takis," ( our animal rescuer hero here.)

So he took them!

That really made our day.

IMG_2837.jpg

update: and after some serial lying by a local but it has worked out:

https://www.facebook.com/TakisShelterCrete/videos/the-3-puppies-are-again-all-together/2862703773785875/

Thank you, bramble! It is really weird. I helped a guy who approached me put the three puppies into his car and he told me he was going to Takis.

The next day, we found out the puppies were still running around the village. Takis came after a tip off and found the girl puppy bleeding in a ruin ( had probably been hit by  a car ). Some local- who? - informed Takis he would help find the other two..and he did...

Jeez.

In good hands now.

When will Takis have a thousand dogs?

I'm happy because Dad had Day #2 of chemo and radiation - and so far he is in good spirits. I'll be back in Germany in 16 days to be closer to him during this time (5 weeks of treatment just started). 

FuckCancer 

15 hours ago, john g. said:

What an adorable puppy. Thank God someone with a good heart alerted Takis so she could be found and taken care of. 

Still, even if it sounds heartless, I would prefer if her and her brothers births had been prevented by the mother being neutered (or at least supervised by her owners while on heat). Obviously the mother is owned, because the puppies were dumped. God knows how many puppies she has already produced and in future will produce due to the carelessness of her owners. 

2 hours ago, bramble said:

What an adorable puppy. Thank God someone with a good heart alerted Takis so she could be found and taken care of. 

Still, even if it sounds heartless, I would prefer if her and her brothers births had been prevented by the mother being neutered (or at least supervised by her owners while on heat). Obviously the mother is owned, because the puppies were dumped. God knows how many puppies she has already produced and in future will produce due to the carelessness of her owners. 

You are right, bramble. That is why I was so pleased to read this on Takis' site -

When I first thought of making t-shirts I didn't think that so many people will be interested in buying them. The fundraising is finished: 1937 t-shirts sold, 33.000 dollars (~30.000 euro) raised from 42 different countries!!! Thank you so much for the amazing support. All the money will be given to neuter/spay animals that belong to people with low income in my town, to prevent the creation of more strays...Thank you again!!!

3 hours ago, bramble said:

The problem here, bramble, is partially carelessness but also ( and more noticeable ) the lack of awareness amongst the “ nicer “ people and the callousness amongst the “ nasty “ ones.

Our Greek neighbour ( one of the “ nasty” species ) a few years ago noticed Nicole with a new dog and “ kindly offered “ to take the dog to the beach ie to drown it.😟

I kid you not. 

Another example..just around the corner lives a perfectly nice Greek guy. Friendly and the kind of guy who invites all and sundry to a barbeque. Good-looking, nice girlfriend, nice house, good job. Has possibly the most expensive new car around.

Sam: big dog, stays outside in Jorgos´s patio 24 hours a day, come rain or shine, never leaves the patio.

It took ages to convince him to buy Sam a kennel..so he got a cheap plastic kennel and the roof has gone. Storms lately. Where is the roof?

Sam is so friendly and deserves to be inside the house next to the stove fire when it is cold and raining (lots lately ) but no..always outside and with nothing to do.

Sam has pain in his joints.

Sam loves it when one of us turns up with a big, juicy bone for him. It is his only distraction.

Big,  juicy bone: 3 euros.

Twice a week equals 6 euros..and we do it and talk to him. He wags his tail.

Jorgos´s car costs a LOT.

Nuff said.

Attitude here.

So sad. And bloody unnecessary. 

I i  have seen my aunt in law today and having a reasonably good day. That is what made me happy.

Croatian national basketball team just won vs the Netherlands 69 : 59 that made me happy.

Not only will our hotel for our Brussels trip accept our dog, but some acquaintances of ours have basically begged to watch him while we travel. Spoiled for choice.

That and grits are finally back in stock in the American shop, so I am stocking up today. @fraufruit knows how important that is.

Awwwwwww - grits and a dawg.
Image result for beauregard bugleboy images Perhaps grits don't always warrant an 'arf', but they're still pretty good. :) 

The usual reasons!

:lol:

Plus, I am really looking forward to visiting Hamburg next week to get away from the bad weather here!

:P

49d3f7d8-e1ce-49ab-a666-4132bd6dea4a.JPG

I am happy not for me, bur for TTs Franklan...  Have met the guy and had quite a bit of contact with the chap...  Thoroughly decent guy!!

He is about to embark on his new job which is in a totally different direction to what he is used to!

Frank... I wish you every sucsess in your new job and hope that is a prosperous change  for you!

Best... 
Piggy!

3 month discussions with Paypal ended with them paying back

the EUR 200 we'd paid to a clothing retailer.

The retailer sent shoddy goods (bad shape, wrong sizes, awful quality)

and didn't follow our arguments for a refund.

A google search for the retailer showed lots of Paypal forum messages

which suggested that the retailer would fail to accept the package

and thus Paypal could say we hadn't sent it back.

Spoke to PP and they told me that if the package tracker showed we'd tried

to send it back - then that was enough for them. And I shouldn't believe everything 

written in the foren!

Today the account has been credited and the complaint with PP closed.

(They even supplied EUR25 toward the packaging costs)

Sometimes worth just following procedures.

Seems that Germans like procedures...

I am just finishing a week‘s trip to Hamburg and it has been excellent. I even got to have a delightful Indian lunch with my buddy Tor today!

Tor- you still look and talk great! Wonderful to have met you again🙏🏻👍🏼

Amoungst all the bad news about corona in Italy (e.g. that patients older than 60 don't get a treatment anymore) , there is also good news, amoungst other things China promised to send 1000 medical ventilators to Italy.

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_10/coronavirus-mille-respiratori-cina-telefonata-maio-wang-yi-faa5f50a-62b6-11ea-a693-c7191bf8b498.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

I don't speak Italian, I read it in another forum.

Giving a young co-worker a ride to the train station after work so she didn't have to stress out and run to catch her train home. 

Sighted my first bumble bee on my sunny patio this morning. Was so thrilled. :)