Why are you happy today?

17,147 posts in this topic

@BethAnn: I have to finish that sentence however, as sadly it is incomplete.

"...in some parts of the world."

I am not trying to be clever.

no, not really. Almost wherever you live, 2019 was improved over previous years. There are obvious exceptions, like being in a war zone etc, but basically, what the guy says is true.

Unfortunately, the health of the planet is not going the same way.

Why Are You Happy Today?

because I just wanna be - it’s the best way to combat the negativity out there

I'm sitting on a terrace with a glass of white wine in my favourite place on Mallorca with a sunny 16 degrees.

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I'm sitting on a terrace with a glass of white wine in my favourite place on Mallorca with a sunny 16 degrees.

Let's just hope it's °C...

14 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Let's just hope it's °C...

Yes, especially as 16F is below the freezing point for Wine (~22F)!

9 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Yes, especially as 16F is below the freezing point for Wine (~22F)!

Sherbet!

Because I'm meeting a good friend for a walk and talk tonight. Followed by possibly a drink and food. I'm always happy when things involve food :P.

Oh and because of friends and family who don't judge me for my whims and general 'lost'ness' but rather are supportive no matter what my choices are. 

Happy happy because we set up a very fine heavy duty outdoor gas wok cooker!

Chinese food, here we come. ;)

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Crete! We live here, I am LostBetweenCountries!

:P

Really beautiful John. Thanka for sharing. I'm planning to message you at some point about what to see there. Greece just looks and sounds fascinating.

Oh yes, Beth! Feel free to PM or Skype to chat about Greece...or , rather, Crete. We know very little of mainland Greece. We have been here close on 6 years.

It is freezing right now and the houses are not built with good insulation because the REALLY cold and damp weather is only for about 2 or 3 months a year..so they don´t bother.

Basically, if you want a relaxed holiday with warm weather and dipping into the ocean/swimming etc  but not intolerably  hot (unless you like that), May and June or September and October are best.

July and August are HOT .so not everyone´s cup of tea (though mine! ).

Close to us is the southernmost point of Europe...so we get the Sahara sand blown over sometimes and you look at your home from outside and think " it has changed colour! "...hint: it HAS!!!

This time of the year, we tend to get the North/North West winds...meaning damp and stormy.

I´m sitting in the office, radiator on since this morning and only a few feet away...a dog ( the kidnapped puppy Mandy ) is sitting next to it to keep warm. I am bloody freezing!!

But come March...what was all the fuss about? 

Why am I happy today?  About noon I arrived back from my trip to Armenia to visit my son and his family and I suddenly realized, after moving to Konstanz 7 months ago, that I, like John, am living in a beautiful spot.  And it's becoming 'home", that feeling you get when you return and go "it's nice to be home."

Zurich is our hub and we took a beautiful 65 minute train ride from the airport straight to our downtown station here in Konstanz (the SBB is awesome).  It was a sunny day and the snow covered Alps were lovely.  Then we hopped out and spent 15 minutes walking through our charming downtown filled with medieval architecture.  Then we arrived back to our cheerful Wohnung in a 1910 Altbauhaus in our neighborhood called Paradies (yes - I moved to Paradise!).  All of this was/can-be achieved without a car - I hate driving (I know that makes me a strange American 🤪).

We retired here partly to be closer to the kids (flying to Armenia from the midwestern US was so much harder than from Zurich), and also because we are still healthy and fit and eager to see more things, and also because my husband is German, and ... But I am really happy today because it's been a lot of work to move and try and build a new life, and today at least I had that "it's nice to be home" feeling.  On the tougher days, for whatever reason, I'm going to remind myself of that.  😊

Nice one, Beth! At some stage in Hamburg, Nicole and I decided to jump for it and go to live somewhere where other people decide to go on holiday to!

:rolleyes:

But there are downsides (a different thread of mine about leaving Crete or not )..the grass is always greener etc...and , though not yet quite dead, we are thinking more and more about long term health issues ( plus Nicole has her son in Hamburg ).

My daughter is in Amsterdam so Hamburg would be easier to see her/visit her/be visited.

But , there again, I can´t make my life dependent on my daughter´s place of abode and nor should she. She is doing her career thing and travelling...chip off the old block!!!

This was the first time I left Alfie, the dog, with someone else.  He did well and was very happy to see us!  I love my dog, and I love living in such a dog friendly country.  :D

Then Greece..nul points...:angry::angry: but happy to remember it works in Germany. 

My wife reports that the first pair of Canada geese have arrived at the nearby fish ponds after the "Winter" break.

We normally get between 8 & 12 geese in Spring - their dawn patrol which goes past our house is quite loud.

Many of these continue further northwards but one or two pairs remain to nest. 

Last year one pair raised 4 or 5 young despite there being a fox faimily in the neighbourhood..