Why are you happy today?

17,053 posts in this topic

christmas staycation kicked off

today I performed my annual ikea visit and had a surprisingly nice time - very mellow and not too busy at all.  I got the stuff I went for and more (of course).  All of it requires installation so in the next days there will be picture rails (so I can finally display some marvelous paintings that are not so suitable for framing), a curtain TRACK (ffs I've been wanting one for 7 years.  yeah.  finally) + new linen curtains, new kitchen faucet, plus some string lights (festive - for the ficus tree) and amaryllis to keep me optimistic well after christmas

then I went to my favorite fancy food store and just...lost my mind.  I have duck.  I have oysters.  I have wine.  lots of wine.  rillettes and pate and truffel sausage.  Cheese.  More cheese than I usually eat in a month but I've already made a dent in it.  Some of this will be shared with friends but I think I went a weeeeeee bit overboard?  So between installing stuff I'm going to eat.  

now I'm making chicken stock and putzing around in the kitchen and decided to rip off all the crappy "trim" around the counter top so I can just caulk it.  Yeah.  I can foresee that I'm going to destroy my apartment in the next couple of weeks and I CAN'T WAIT to see how it turns out :) 

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

lots of wine.  rillettes and pate and truffel sausage

Dude, if we were closer I would so come and help with the DIY and the fridge contents :)

I am happy because a non-electrician doubling up as an electrician , a lovely Albanian guy we call in when we are flummoxed, sorted out a problem. No internet, no heating, no lighting.. he found out the problem. The radiator was using too much power for the flimsy cheap system and crashed it all down. All down.

(That doesn´t mean a real electrician doesn´t have to come by soon..but it´s Xmas coming up... )

The guy drove 40 kilometres there and back and charged a non-foreigner price..we have known each other for a few years..

He used to start with foreigner prices!

:rolleyes:

It´s not what you know but who..etc.

The usual electrician in the village couldn´t come...cancer and shit.

@lisa13 Being as it's the giving season and all, may I come help with your installations? Pleeeaaaase?

My amaryllis has been putting on a new creative show each day. Today I have 2 full blooms and 2 more coming. I should keep these things year round if I can find them.

Erm...but my apartment is a mess with piles of new stuff and kitchen fully destroyed til the caulk sets and I can put everything back - there's precious little space for one to maneuver let alone two

hehehehe... that's a funny quandry

Daughter is here... Chrimbo prezzies opened and just about everyone was a hit!

Almost makes up for the crap her mum put me through this last week.. 

We sat down and fixed a large, very nice color laser printer!

Can't afford a new one, so Merry Christmas once again. ;)

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Daughter is here... Chrimbo prezzies opened and just about everyone was a hit!

Almost makes up for the crap her mum put me through this last week.. 

Nice one.

I've had a really good Xmas and birthday with my family. I wasn't going to do anything for my birthday but my sister insisted to throw me a party. It was really nice. :)

23 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I've had a really good Xmas and birthday with my family. I wasn't going to do anything for my birthday but my sister insisted to throw me a party. It was really nice. :)

Happy Christmas and Merry Birthday!  My nephew also was born on X-mas day, so we make a point to acknowledge both days for him and double up on gifts.

21 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

Happy Christmas and Merry Birthday!  My nephew also was born on X-mas day, so we make a point to acknowledge both days for him and double up on gifts.

Mine is on boxing day but my brother and niece are on Xmas day. I never suffered for it and I don't think they did either.

Everybody seems to think just because you have an Xmas birthday you don't get two presents but in my experience it's more likely for ppl to make an extra effort to remember your birthday.

Happy Birthday @LeonG!
I know you get criticized for always having a friend with experience in just about anything, but *I* believe you. It's wonderful to have a network like that.

11 hours ago, LeonG said:

Happy Birthday!

From a NYT article by Nicholas Kristof:

The bad things that you fret about are true. But it’s also true that since modern humans emerged about 200,000 years ago, 2019 was probably the year in which children were least likely to die, adults were least likely to be illiterate and people were least likely to suffer excruciating and disfiguring diseases.

Absolutely. 

It is easy to forget, in looking at all that is still unjust in the world, how far we have come.