Why are you happy today?

17,190 posts in this topic

It was a false fire alarm downstairs - radio, time change...

I already had 112 at the phone when our neighbor returned home. She was thankful, the fireman and us were relieved (no brigade necessary). False alarms with no consequences are the best.

40 minutes walk there and back and waiting time but Agapi heard my call..and she came. Don´t know where her kids are. She got fed today.

A thrown away dog and very shy...can´t get her to come really close but anyway...

IMG_2045.jpg

Brought back some of my dad's old records on my last visit to the old hometown. Finally got myself a simple turntable and put those old LPs on.

Smiles and tears in equal amounts.

Kept my Brexit promise to myself and the British people.

Cut off all sources of Brexit news and views since clearly nothing is gonna happen that I won't hear about anyhow.

And I am a German citizen now anyhow so I am actually ready for your stupid Brexit, thanks for the reminder ;-p

I can feel the weight lifting from my shoulders.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

The parcel is expected to be delivered during the day.

squeeeeeeeeee!

I found one of those delivery note things in the postbox on Saturday, with just the word 'Schuppen' on it. We don't really have a shed as such, but a sort of side covered area by the back door and various roofed wood-storage areas. I have looked everywhere I can think of, but can't find a parcel. It's yet another bit of polish pottery dirt cheap off ebay, so no harm is likely to come to it wherever it is, but the hide and seek aspect of this delivery has me currently stumped.

At least it's nothing I actually needed ;)

I had a couple of those - amazon of course

the notice just said "kellar" which was strange as our kellar door is locked.  So I went on an expedition and eventually found the package in the laundry room, tucked in BEHIND the washing machine :)  

another time they left my package on a neighbor's terrace such that they had to literally climb through the hedge to put it there.  No paper notice, but when I checked the delivery status on amazon, there was a photo of the location...but it  just showed the package, and you could only glean that it was outside and not inside.  

robot has landed - I just gave it a cursory inspection to make sure there were no obvious defects and it's really a sexy beast.  beautifully machined and built like a little tank.  I'm happy!  

We actually have no door on the front of the house and you have to go through the gate to the back of the house to enter.  This confuses many people.

Some delivery drivers have just thrown the package over the 2m high fence and walked off!  Not even opened the gate and put it in the yard.  And this has happened even if we are home!

Luckily not often (mostly we have the same delivery drivers and they know), and nothing has been damaged.

OK, kid#4 and I did a log run and found the parcel hiding round a corner on a log pile out of sight and under shelter, so well done postie, good spot. Bit embarrassed that the actual abstell place for such things is currently obscured by the good fridge which moved from our other house, which we can't get in the kitchen because the back door refused to open in May sometime. Perhaps it's time to call Door Guy....

Puppy Mandy had her jabs and general check today at our favourite vet´s and is ready to " kidnap " soon from the undeserving owners!! They have even agreed.

(Yes, permission to publish a picture...Sotiris , the vet, does the same on Facebook! )

IMG_2060.jpg

On 10/16/2019, 8:33:01, Sannerl said:

Because I occasionally answer questions from other readers on her site maangchi.com, Maangchi wrote me an email today offering to send me her new cookbook...

I'm speechless, blushing and happy.

Update: She sent me an email that the book was on its way about a week ago.

It arrived a few minutes ago, I already told her.

Speechless, blushing and happy all over again! Really nice personalized autograph, too.

Postage and shipping (airmail!) are about double the price of the book itself...

"You're my special!" No kidding!

Civil War era Union soldier and lady in crinoline showed up at my work on Halloween. Something about it was very charming, something else made my scalp actually crawl. That kind of shiver you get that says, 'Remeber this?' not just from history lessons or having lived near Bull Run in my youth and having gone to one of those re-enactment battles as a teen but, how very odd it felt to see this uniform on a happy go lucky man somehow and then this woman sweeping by. It was hauntingly charming. Later I found they belong to a Verein near me that dresses up and gathers frequently to try and live out lives from 1830s to 1860s America. I wonder if it might be something fun for me too? 

17 hours ago, cybil said:

Later I found they belong to a Verein near me that dresses up and gathers frequently to try and live out lives from 1830s to 1860s America. I wonder if it might be something fun for me too? 

I've heard of several US reenactment and square dance groups in Germany!

There even was a big event near Munich last summer - including a "powwow", which made me wonder what the Native Americans living in Germany think of that (I wasn't in town to see for myself).

At Jakobidult, we have bought some delicious candied ginger from "Nudelnesterl" - nudelnesterl.de

Sunday, I've ordered a lot (50 Euro worth to get free shipping), it arrived about half an hour ago via UPS - and is even more delicious...

I called them and told them so. The lady I talked to sounds like my favourite cousin, happy laughter included. :)

Sadly, that Auer Dult was the only one for them in the foreseeable future...

I'm happy how well I feel after the latest dental procedure! Much clearer in my mind and more physically fit!

Happiness is no pain.

Vierling's daughters, who'll be 13 and 10 in 2020, write that they can come to California next summer for a visit with me and their aunties & uncles.  So exciting! :)