Why are you happy today?

17,021 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Well, one saving grace is that my travel day was so easy and unproblematic that I arrived relaxed and calm but tired. I cannot believe how easy that travel day was.

I tried not to wiggle around too much in your pocket.

On 13.10.2019, 13:09:26, LukeSkywalker said:

As some of you know my mother passed away in May and I moved in with my dad (84) in Holland to look after him since he can't live by himself. This week my brother came from Mallorca to fetch him and they are now in the plane. I was a bit worried about checking in the burial urn as hand luggage, but the documents were OK and also taking all the medicine supplies went fine since I provided a medicine passport. My dad will now live with my brother and his family and he has his own room completely fitted to his needs. His last remaining sibling lives nearby as well, so we have confidence it is the best solution for him. I will do the last bits in the house and return to Munich beginning of November where I have still 2 months left of my sabbatical.

Only just read this Luke.

What a great family your parents created, and now your Dad gets to reap the great fruit he sowed. Heartwarming. Hope all goes well for them on Mallorca, and thinking of you all as you continue to learn to live without your mother.

Croatia ready to join Schengen!!!

This makes me so happy. Wait time on all borders was usually about an hour if not more. Of course, this won't pertain to entering by sea - we will still have to check in and out with the harbor captain but that doesn't take long. If this goes through, we can take advantage of some great restaurants that are just across the border from our marina in Slovenia.

Woohoo!

Saw a seal in the Kiel fjord.

Have often seen porpoises (Schweinswalen) - even up into the town centre,

but this is the first seal I met in 25yrs.

(Yes, they used to be in the Aquarium on the Kiellinie,

but this was in the open sea... ) 

I am so freaking excited.  I've been wanting to get into making espresso at home as I am a full on coffee dork, but have not yet made the leap to espresso as I am not keen on the maintenance and fiddliness associated with "real" espresso machines, plus I have less than zero counter space.  Yes there have been various smaller, manual espresso makers out there for a while, but most are made partly or entirely of plastic and appear to be just utter crap, so I gave up the search for a long time and didn't even know what was new these days

but!  oh...BUT!  look at this beauty!  

https://www.cafelat.de/CAFELAT-Robot-REGULAR-Retro-Green

I'm all a-titter - it gets excellent reviews for being very forgiving - James Hoffmann even rated the results as "hm!  really good!", which is quite a statement, from him -  and honestly there are few things that can go wrong = no pumps. no heating elements, no electricity involved, it doesn't seem to have thermal problems associated with most manual espresso machines (or at least none that can't be solved very, very simply) - it's pretty much down to the grind and how strong you are, really.  So I ordered one in silver.  VICTORY IS MINE! 

then it got me thinking...I do have a good grinder but...well, you know.  toys :) 

no no.  I do NOT need a new grinder.  Yet.

My daughter's at Gymnasium and is struggling with Maths. It is definitely a weak subject for her. Normally when I sit down to help her we end up arguing and both of us throws Teddy out of the Pram. Today I gave some Maths to do and despite starting off with stropping and moaning she got it done. I'm so happy that she got virtually everything right. There is hope.

wait, wait...she's doing math in a pram?

or is it the teddy bear's pram, and one or the other of you assaults the poor thing while it's minding it's own business, just trying to relax?

or is this some strange British euphemism?

doesn't sound like the bear deserves it no matter how you cut it  :)

but in sincerity, great that she is improving - right on!

An English saying. To throw the Teddy out of the Pram is to throw a mega tantrum like a toddler does when it doesn't get what it wants.

2 minutes ago, French bean said:

An English saying. To throw the Teddy out of the Pram is to throw a mega tantrum like a toddler does when it doesn't get what it wants.

whew! :)  

and good on you for not giving up on her - that is so important!

That idiom was made famous by the former British Labour Party‘s leader Neil Kinnock as far as I remember!

Evening, kommentarlos! I remember the gutter press at the time referring to Kinnock as the Welsh Windbag! I don‘t know if it is a Welsh saying.

I am happy because Fraufruit is happy for Croatia.

On 23. 10. 2019., fraufruit said:

Croatia ready to join Schengen!!!

This makes me so happy. Wait time on all borders was usually about an hour if not more. Of course, this won't pertain to entering by sea - we will still have to check in and out with the harbor captain but that doesn't take long. If this goes through, we can take advantage of some great restaurants that are just across the border from our marina in Slovenia.

Woohoo!

It's been an exciting morning, with wildfires on both sides of the Carquinez Strait, closing  I-80 for five miles in both directions and shutting down the bridges.  Some areas are without electric power until Monday or even Tuesday, though the fires are under control and no longer dangerous.  Down in Oakland, Fuenfling's family is without power, but they don't appear to be in any danger.
Some vehicles burned, some evacuations, little damage to buildings, and no injuries or loss of life.

So, on balance, this goes in the happy thread. :) 
Image result for fires carquinez strait today images

I forget to mention that i am happy because i found orginal  Disney s" Snowwhite on Youtube.

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

but!  oh...BUT!  look at this beauty!  

https://www.cafelat.de/CAFELAT-Robot-REGULAR-Retro-Green

It does look pretty cool.

For all my coffee at home, I use Italian percolators of which I have different sizes/brands. (Well, we also have a large French press, if we need to make more than 2-3 cups) The smallest one for espresso roasts, naturally. I’ve always been happy with it, even if it’s not “real” espresso. Am I missing anything?

What’s a good coffee grinder? Small and easy to clean and not too loud are my requirements. I used to have one years ago when I lived in a shared flat, and I sort of miss it. (Warning: I would probably also use it for spices)

1 hour ago, alderhill said:

It does look pretty cool.

For all my coffee at home, I use Italian percolators of which I have different sizes/brands. (Well, we also have a large French press, if we need to make more than 2-3 cups) The smallest one for espresso roasts, naturally. I’ve always been happy with it, even if it’s not “real” espresso. Am I missing anything?

What’s a good coffee grinder? Small and easy to clean and not too loud are my requirements. I used to have one years ago when I lived in a shared flat, and I sort of miss it. (Warning: I would probably also use it for spices)

mocha pot coffee (I think that's what you're talking about) is great!  But no, it's not espresso.  I currently use a vietnamese coffee filter to make coffee+milk drinks - it actually works well for that as the coffee comes out quite strong, but still not espresso.  It misses a certain something.  and it takes forever to brew so I don't use it as much as I'd like to drink espresso-y things, hence my thrills over finding the robot.  I'm not sure what you mean by "am I missing anything?", so I'll stop there :) 

for grinders I can't really offer much.  I use a Made By Knock Feld2 hand grinder that I got as a pre-order for a stupid low price, and I've been nothing less than thrilled with it, but they are not available anymore afaik.  They do offer other grinders of course - if you're curious you can check them out http://www.madebyknock.com Their model called the aergrind has always received solid reviews and it includes the same burr set that mine does, so I suspect it's pretty good, especially for the price.  You might be able to find it sold in Germany, too - not sure.  

All I know of electric grinders is that I don't want one.  I've never had an urge to even delve into it much as the noise factor is a huge turn off.  The prices on many -- even the ones slated as "entry level" - are eye watering, so I really can't make any recs there

but may I suggest!  If you want a mill for spices, pick up a cheap blade grinder but please don't abuse your coffee with it ;)