Why are you happy today?

16,709 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Oh dear..maybe you were my nurse!

:lol:

Ah, memories..I was about 33 or so and totally healthy (give or take a few joints here and there ) and ended up in hospital in London for a kidney stone operation. Two weeks in that bloody hospital!

Had the op and was totally groggy. One night, I stood up from bed and, erm, peed onto it.

The night nurse looked at me and said: " Mr Gunn!!!". Pissed off and I´m not surprised:P

The things you remember...

Still have the scar and no feeling there.

They do it differently now! Thank God...

Yes John, we used to have a crate of guiness, bottle of sherry and one of brandy delivered to each ward daily. The thinking was-  guiness was like a complete meal for those with no appetite. This was before Ensure and other supplements!

Sherry was to stimulate appetite. Brandy- tots were given to those heading into DTs, and a measure was added to Mist Euphoria. This was a mix containing morphine , brandy - for terminal pain relief.

we have come so far!

Managed to get tickets for the match between Manchester United and A C Milan in August at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Have got three tickets, so myself, my son and son-in-law will spend the day together.

On 30.3.2019, 20:33:25, HEM said:

Got back into the air today - first flights of the season.  Sunshine but not the best visibility.  Some weak thermals...

Sunday sort of similar.  In the afternoon a guy rolled up (with wife & 11-year old kid) with his papers to join the club. 

He has a motorglider license that will need to be reactivated as he hasn't flown for a number of years.  No problem.

Then he asked if someone would take his son up.  Club vice-chairman looked at me & said "take him in the DG-1000".

We held the record for the day: "shortest flight" as we didn't quite get 400m height off the winch launch & the one cloud

I tried to get too was just a bit too far away & I had to head for home.  Bit low on downwind leg but OK.  4 Minutes.

As we got the plane back into the row for launching the club vice-chairman said "try again".

This time we got about 420m height off the launch & I could see a glider circling to the left.  As we released the

winch cable the vario screemed "thermal" so ignore the other plane & grab hold of whats available.  The kid was

OK as I first got the plane up to 500m then 600m when a call came over radio that the undercart was still down.

Oops.  On retracting it the glider climbed even better & we got up to 900m (3000') being the maximum allowed by ATC

(we are close to Hamburg airport).  The kid was still happy with life & so we headed North and then towards Elmshorn.

The visibility was in contrast to previous day fantastic - could see up to the North Sea & in other direction across

all Hamburg.  I let the kid have a go at flying - he could not reach the rudder pedals but had his hands on the stick &

made a decent job of flying reasonably straight.  After about 45 minutes we returned with both kid & papa very happy.

Wife had retreated to their car as despite the sun it was bitterly cold (and even colder up at 3000')..

Even the big boys are listening 👍

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-shell-afpm/citing-climate-differences-shell-walks-away-from-u-s-refining-lobby-idUKKCN1RE0V9?il=0

The review is part of Shell’s drive to increase transparency and show investors it is in line with the 2015 Paris climate agreement’s goals to limit global warming by reducing carbon emissions to a net zero by the end of the century.

After two and a half weeks of sick boy around the house - first week diarrhea/puke then a healthy week followed by a skiing accident when he was flown by helicopter to hospital, My son actually got on crutches to school today. He is more independent now but in the early days he needed everything doing for him - I will not TMI people with what I had to do. 

Today was my first normal doggy walking day with little one.

After a very lengthy mouse hunt last night, this little one seems happy with its peanut butter prize.  Now released back into the neighborhood mouse colony. This is a very useful 'non killing' trap https://www.amazon.de/Avantina-Mausefalle-Lebend-tierfreundliche-Lebendfalle/dp/B078ZZVFVF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=KOA85LWD49AU&keywords=maus+lebendfallen&qid=1554457526&s=gateway&sprefix=Maus+leb%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

IMG_6782.JPG.fff8849ed95036ea03fb86e43d4

I'm happy and grateful to the TT community because today I am attempting to do my first ever VAT return in Germany, by myself and without professional help, using the info here.  (I know a lot about VAT rules anyway, just getting the right numbers in the right boxes).  I'm feeling brave and will persevere ... and will probably see you all later in the vent thread :P

27 minutes ago, emkay said:

After a very lengthy mouse hunt last night, this little one seems happy with its peanut butter prize.  Now released back into the neighborhood mouse colony. This is a very useful 'non killing' trap.

Let's wait what you say after it brings back its entire family 🐭🐭🐭🐭🐭.

1 hour ago, evildudette said:

I'm happy and grateful to the TT community because today I am attempting to do my first ever VAT return in Germany, by myself and without professional help, using the info here.  (I know a lot about VAT rules anyway, just getting the right numbers in the right boxes).  I'm feeling brave and will persevere ... and will probably see you all later in the vent thread :P

After finishing your exercise, I think you deserve a glass of wine. C'mon, it's Friday.

I still have to check a few things as I'm not 100% sure that everything is in the correct box, but the amount Elster tells me I have to pay is the same that I manually calculated. So yay! Vodka it is.  Actually it was a lot less painful than I anticipated.

2 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Just a couple of weeks to go and this will be what I have to look at every day ...

Adl02.jpg.2a13dc17a7128ce3494ed5daf49b24

Wonderful-  a view to find peace, relaxation and time for you.

I was there doing some tidying last week and the only things to drive past were three farmers on their tractors, plus one horse-drawn buggy.

41 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I was there doing some tidying last week and the only things to drive past were three farmers on their tractors, plus one horse-drawn buggy.

Perfection.    Enjoy.   

2 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Just a couple of weeks to go and this will be what I have to look at every day ...

Adl02.jpg.2a13dc17a7128ce3494ed5daf49b24

Malty if anyone deserves that it's you. Enjoy.

A bunch of us oldies cleaned up the beach today! Target: plastic...we filled about 25 large (plastic) bags! Some local Greeks drove by and showed no interest! Hey, if they don´t want to help their tourist industry..their problem. But we use the beach..so ok!

Downside: backache now!!!:lol::lol: