Why are you happy today?

16,890 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Clive2677 said:

In the post today a small parcel arrived containing a cup [..]

That’s made a 72 year youngster feel good. 

Why?

Was it this type of cup?

Schnabeltasse.jpg.0de3a814650ad969676303

5 minutes ago, franklan said:

Why?

Was it this type of cup?

????.  Now, now.  I can still mountain hike 20km.   

Our new adoptee is settling down well...off to a foster family outside Greece in a couple of weeks..it´ll be tough to say goodbye but he deserves a great life! He´s learning Gassegehen really well!

Sandy:

PHOTO-2019-03-28-17-37-30.jpg

I'm happy because I saw lots of bumble bees visiting my blooming Pieris shrubs on my patio while I was tidying up out there in the sunshine today. They're busy collecting nectar all day long.

Bildergebnis für pieris bumble bees

The Erica shrubs in the front garden are also a big hit. 

Bildergebnis für erica bumble bees

I don't really like crows but I am happy that a pair of them built a huge nest in the big chestnut tree in front of my front balcony. They worked hard for 4 days. I now have my binoculars on the balcony and next week the people working at the Arbeitsgericht will think that I'm spying on them.

I wish I could post photos here.

46 minutes ago, bramble said:

I'm happy because I saw lots of bumble bees visiting my blooming Pieris shrubs on my patio while I was tidying up out there in the sunshine today. They're busy collecting nectar all day long.

Bildergebnis für pieris bumble bees

The Erica shrubs in the front garden are also a big hit. 

Bildergebnis für erica bumble bees

yes!  the bees even called my attention to the fact that my siberian bluberry is blooming for the first time in 4 years.  I put it in a lousy location, no sun to speak of, and so far it's been pretty but not reaching full potential.

maybe this year I'll get a few berries!

Got back into the air today - first flights of the season.  Sunshine but not the best visibility.  Some weak thermals.

The first objective of the season is to get 3 flights done as one of the requirements to fly passengers is 3 flights in previous 90 days.

But there is no requirement on the launch method.  I did 3 flights in my own sailplane - first two self-launching & the third on the winch so that I would not have to fly a passenger with a launch method I hadn't done for several months! 

Anyhow - I put my plane into its trailer & was chatting to colleagues when some elderly guy wearing a red Warnvest appeared on a bike.
Asked if it was possible to have a flight (we were starting to pack up). 

The instructors said "you have the 3 flights so you fly him".  Thus I got the task to fly him in our big DG-1000S sailplane.

He'd never flown before but was a yachtsman.  Being late afternoon there were no thermals & the air was pretty smooth.

The old boy was able to identify each town/village in the area & so another visitor went away happy.

Our massive drought and my ambulation difficulties made it impossible to water shrubs last year, and some of them suffered massively. To my delight today, I see the lilac is budding!

18 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Our massive drought and my ambulation difficulties made it impossible to water shrubs last year, and some of them suffered massively. To my delight today, I see the lilac is budding!

Ah , the colour and smell of lilac! Enjoy, sorry to hear ambulatory issues.

On March 27, 2019 at 11:13:41 AM, franklan said:

Why?

Was it this type of cup?

Ah- memories of geriatric rotation as a student nurse!!!

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Ah , the colour and smell of lilac! Enjoy, sorry to hear ambulatory issues.

Thanks for your consideration, @RedMidge. :) I'm doing better now. :):)  And our massive rains this spring have helped some of the plants come back.  :):):)  

1 minute ago, katheliz said:

Thanks for your consideration, @RedMidge. :) I'm doing better now.  :):) 

Frailties of age can really be frustrating. I love your picture-- inside we never age!

2 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Ah- memories of geriatric rotation as a student nurse!!!

Oh dear..maybe you were my nurse!

:lol:

Ah, memories..I was about 33 or so and totally healthy (give or take a few joints here and there ) and ended up in hospital in London for a kidney stone operation. Two weeks in that bloody hospital!

Had the op and was totally groggy. One night, I stood up from bed and, erm, peed onto it.

The night nurse looked at me and said: " Mr Gunn!!!". Pissed off and I´m not surprised:P

The things you remember...

Still have the scar and no feeling there.

They do it differently now! Thank God...

"I was totally healthy"..."kidney stones"

sorry sweetie but the former does not jive with the latter ;)

I had a lap surgery in January - tiny incisions - and one of them is still numb.  Sadly, it goes this way sometimes.  Luckily I didn't have any problems finding the cat box

Just now, katheliz said:

Katheliz - where in USA are you? 

I THOUGHT I was healthy, dear Lisa! I had just come back back from Haiti and the Dominican Republic and suddenly had red urine whilst peeing.  I remember the doc showing his young followees my x-ray or whatever  it was and saying: " Mr Gunn, what are you doing on the 14th of February? I have to cut you open "..

True story...

This was at the time AIDS was in the news and, ok, I had been a naughty boy in Haiti.anyway, I ended up in hospital. And two weeks there. And it was painful. 

In those days in London (or at least, amongst my friends ), you smoked a lot of joints. And it was allowed to drink beer (my mum brought me a crate of Guinness to the hospital ). 

Memory: at that time, they were just bringing in the scanning thingies and I was chosen by some young nurses to be a guinea pig because I was skinny! I liked being the centre of attention with the young ladies. I was in a ward with a bunch of older men...

Got released two weeks later and picked up by a French friend in his car and he drove me home. We rolled a joint..I bent over on the floor and opened up the wound..so back to hospital!! Bloody hell!

But it worked out ok.

Mind you, I was not good psychologically and had to postpone my MA dissertation work. My Professor was nice about it. Pretty dumb dissertation anyway!!!

:P

2 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Katheliz - where in USA are you? 

I live in the beautiful SF Bay Area, near the Carquinez Straits.  This is our stark but magnificent new bridge on opening day in 2002.  It's named after Al Zampa, a local working stiff who worked construction on three of the bridges that span the waters near SF - Golden Gate, Bay Bridge, and Richmond-San Rafael.
5c9fd33b11ceb_AlZampaBridge.jpg.075e7970

nono - no judgement @john g.!  It was just startling and incongruous, those two statements back to back :)

you can drink beer in the hospital here too, I guess unless your doc has strictly forbidden it, but I'm not sure who would enforce that.   They seem to always sell beer in the little krankenhaus imbiss-es (at least when I've gone looking).  But with kidney issues...ooof.  not a good idea

kidney stones are terrible.  I had two cats suffer with them, and they were *clearly* suffering, one to the point I had to let him go as it was fairly unrecoverable.  And you of all people probably know how cats rarely show pain or even discomfort.  I'm almost certain that kidney stones will bring anyone to their knees.