Mac Ghiolla Dé - Irish pub in Bornheim, Frankfurt

21 posts in this topic

Went here for a liquid break during a rainy walk around Bornheim.

It's a nice little place with all the usual acroutrements that go with an Irish pub abroad. Plenty of timber, mirrors, tat on shelves, etc, etc. See the chaps over at the Irish Pub Company if you're thinking of opening your own.

Friendly barman was from Cork and was quick with the drinks and made time for a little chat too. Good bloke.

Didn't try the food but the usual suspects appeared to be on offer, Irish breakfasts, burgers, pies, etc. Saw a couple of meals going out and the portions looked good. See their website for full menu details.

I was only there during the afternoon but I definitely get the feeling that it's a busy place at night. Well worth a visit.

post-11390-1156167612.jpg post-11390-1156167618.jpg

Mac Ghiolla Dé

Mac Ghiolla Dé Irish Pub

Berger Straße 255

60385 Frankfurt am Main

Phone: +49 69 94597060

"Mac Ghiolla Dé is an old Irish surname which translates in English to "Son of the servant of God". English forms of the name are Benson and Gildea."

This is a very popular place with the foreign Bornheim contingent from work, for evening drinks, midday meals and saturday morning breakfasts. The food is excellent, in a homely kind of way. I particularly recommend the cottage pie. Service is friendly, and English speaking. The only problem I had with it was during the World Cup, when one of the German waitresses came around after Rooney had been sent off against Portugal, when the English fans were in shock and staring opened mouthed at the big screen. She came by laughing and saying "bye bye England, Deutschland gehen nach Berlin! hahaha!" This was pretty tactless, but I don't think she's a regular ;).

We had the Irish fry-up breakfast there a week ago and really enjoyed it. White pudding and lovely bacon -- must be the kind all the UK and Irish people pine for because it wasn't the stripey US kind I like at Leib und Seele in Munich. Quite different, but gooooood. German hubby didn't like it though so I ate his. He thought it was too fatty.

The doors were open the other day when I came home from gym - but looked like there was just work going on or something.

Last thing I knew was from a sign posted up on the door there on Good Friday saying it had closed and would be opening under new management.

I walked past here yesterday and they are undergoing a large re-furb. they are gonna open under completely new management and it will be called Irish Pub Bornheim. they will also offer a fish and chip takeaway service! :) shouldn't be too long till it opens

can only really be better than the Mac Ghiolla incarnation, in the old days about 5-6 years ago the Macgowans pub used to rock there, always packed on the weekends and probs one of the best Halloween parties I have ever been to...

whilst I remember, does anyone know what the deal is with the Molly Malones irish pub on Rotlintstrasse in Nordend? think they seem to have closed down also but haven't wandered past for a while...

they will also offer a fish and chip takeaway service!

can only really be better than the Mac Ghiolla incarnation, in the old days about 5-6 years ago the Macgowans pub used to rock there, always packed on the weekends and probs one of the best Halloween parties I have ever been to...

They always offered fish and chip takeaway service when it was Macgowans too! Yes LB you are right about 6 years ago it used to rock there. No doubt we were probably in there at the same time boozing it up! My first year or two in Frankfurt I lived about 5 doors down from that place which was not good for my liver! Perhaps we should go there on mass when it opens to get a cool crowd in there again.

whilst I remember, does anyone know what the deal is with the Molly Malones irish pub on Rotlintstrasse in Nordend? think they seem to have closed down also but haven't wandered past for a while...

Kes lives next door to it doesn't she? Maybe we can ask her

yeah we should check it out once it opens again, could be a cool new place in Bernem for the posse to visit! used to really like it there in the old days

you are right PM, Kes lives right next door to Molly Malones. will ask her to check on her way past...

Yep, read the notice on the door, said "opening soon", as long as it's in time for GAA season then will be ok Anyone know who is running it?

do you mean the Macghiolla or Molly Malones?

The quiz was really cool ... gutted when we went there and it was closed.

Is there a pub quiz anywhere else in Frankfurt / Wiesbaden?

Gruß, Lis

well the Macghiolla is now back open again and is simply called the Irish Pub Bornheim. not much has changed really, food is still good, refurbed inside, seems like a decent enough place.

went there on sat night for a bit and watched the football there last night

Is there a pub quiz anywhere else in Frankfurt / Wiesbaden?

Fox and Hounds on a Sunday night maybe still going? Not been there for, well, more than a few years I'd say!

There also used to be one at the Zeil MacGowans on a Sunday night. Used to frequent it with Charltonfan if any of you are old enough to remember him :P I did go there about two years ago and this one was still running.

just to update this thread - have been to the Irish Pub in Bornheim quite a few times recently and they have built up a fairly decent set of regulars and it is actually always pretty busy in the evenings. The food is decent and the pub quiz on thurs nights is also quite good (music round is a killer tho!)

I wouldn't say it is a place to spend the whole evening but if you are in the area then it is always good for a few drinks and it is quite a decent spot to watch the footy if it is a midweek or sunday game. For saturday games/rugby world cup I would say it has to be O Reillys for the atmosphere tbh tho.

The Macgowans on the end of Zeil nr Konstablerwache is a good shout if you want somewhere a bit quieter and more relaxed. Really friendly in there, they have two LCD screens for sports and I have got to say that the food is top notch there. Defo the best 'irish pub' food in Frankfurt IMHO