Dresden - various general info and advice

57 posts in this topic

Back in Dresden tomorrow night, might do Luisenstr or Amalienstr but also might be boring and do the Augustiner again.

@Dave,

Where or what is Amalien Str?

I believe there is a pub quiz on the first thurs of the month in the Irish Fiddler...

@Dave,

Where or what is Amalien Str?

I believe there is a pub quiz on the first thurs of the month in the Irish Fiddler...

I've probably spelt it wrong it's the street that T-bones Luisenstr, Amalenstr maybe?

Buggered if I remember but a pub quiz in the Fidler might be ok as it's not far from my hotel.

Do many attend? Cos last time I was in there with a mate we were on our lonesome.

I think maybe you mean Alaun Strasse...

with regard to pub quiz, i have no idea on the numbers that attend...

Whilst I feel sorry for Dresden about the so-called museum "heist", it's hard to watch the police video (link below) and think of anything less like Oceans 11. A big torch and a single axe (not exactly precision aimed either) seemed sufficient to deal with all eventualities. It isn't going to get Hollywood interested is it? 

https://youtu.be/fQPWr1j0NvM 

If I had to protect something of value, I'd do just that.  If I were a thief, one thing I'd do is turn off the lights...another might be: break the glass.

To be fair, they set fire to an electrical distributor nearby which took out the lights and alarm. That's a bit more planning than just a torch and an axe. And then they were fast. In and out in 5 min flat; and they would have know that the security guards will call the police but not intervene themselves, apparently that's standard operating procedure when encountering someone with an axe.

I'm going to go with (semi)insider job with that one.

Strange operating procedure. A phone call is not enough to stop thieves of that calibre. I'm sure that the police will investigate in all directions incl. (former) security guards working there.

I know the press are saying that the robbers were in and out in 5 minutes, I think they had more time, unbelievably shoddy security, cut the power get in through a window !! when they stole the large gold coin in Berlin at least they needed to use a long ladder before swanning off with the loot, on a sack truck.

The window had a metal grid as protection, so it was not that easy.  For the theft of the ca. 100 kilo gold coin, 3 men are held in custody. The coin is probably melted.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Strange operating procedure. A phone call is not enough to stop thieves of that calibre. I'm sure that the police will investigate in all directions incl. (former) security guards working there.

It's not strange. They are not meant to risk their lives. In the end it's just stuff. As soon as you deal with *armed* robbers you call the police and don't play hero. Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility that they were in on it...

15 hours ago, dstanners said:

A big torch and a single axe (not exactly precision aimed either) seemed sufficient to deal with all eventualities. It isn't going to get Hollywood interested is it? 

https://youtu.be/fQPWr1j0NvM 

It is laminated security glass as you can see. (S)He has to swing the axe several times and rather peels it off like really tough plastic packaging. Of course, there should have been lights and alarm going too.

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

One would think that extra security would be sent in in the case of any power outage close to such a museum.

I think it all happened too quickly...

It's been weeks now, and the only timeline I have found for the morning of the crime is on CNN.  Dresden's two papers never put out anything so detailed (that I saw, anyhow).  

CNN reported the security guards called police at 4:49 am but a car wasn't dispatched until 5 minutes later.  

5 minutes to say "robbery in progress at the Green Vault" ??    It's only a few hundred yards between the city/state police HQ and the museum.  If the dispatcher had reacted faster...

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/green-vault-dresden-heist-live-grm-intl/index.html  

timeline.jpg

aerial 3.jpg

(I made it b&w and added white space to get file size below .24 MB)

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

"Immeasurable and incalculable value" = priceless.

How could one insure such things?

How about start with tighter security measures comprised of several layers that doesn't have the holes and flaws like the ineffective security that allowed them to be stolen in the first place?

No security is 100% fail proof, the way this crime was described looks like it was done with ease by climbing through a window.