Dresden - various general info and advice

57 posts in this topic

Excellent tips all! Am up there next week and haven't been in Dresden since ooooo '95, so will interesting to see the changes.

Things that changed since '95:

- Frauenkirche

- Neumarkt

- Grünes Gewölbe

- Prager Straße

- Hauptbahnhof

- Synagoge

- Panometer (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panometer_Dresden)

Saxon Switzerland is very beautiful (and quiet) right now. Lots of snow.

Was in Neustadt last night, still deader than the grave.

Btw, that bloody synagogue makes the Pompidou centre look beautiful, jesus, what were they thinking? :blink:

Ok so you will be in Strehlen. Walks in the Grosser Garten. walk through the park and visit the VW glaesernemanufaktur transparent factory. Not sure if there will be much production going though :unsure:

If you wish to visit the Gruenes Gewolbe (Historisches) , go early in the morning and they have a certain amount of tickets for that day. Otherwise it is booked out months in advance. That is well worth the visit if you can make it there

Oh and coffee and cake in the Cosel Palais (behind the Frauenkirche). Make sure you get a seat in the Meissen Room, one drinks your coffee from Meissen porcelain and the cakes are to die for :o

Hello all

Currently living in the south (BW) and have seem some jobs up there in Dresden.

I hear great things about the friendliness of the people and the nitelife(from dresdenites).

However after some research on the new east (jobs, stats, populatioons etc etc), and dresden in particular

and with the help of some speigel articles; the low down seems to be that a lot of young people (and a lot more female than male)

are leaving the east to come to the west. better money etc.

what are your thought on this.

I have a odd idea in my head of sedated nitelife and pubs with about 3 girls sorounded by 30 desperate lads.

For me the social aspect is just as (if not more) important than a good job.

Deccie et al, I'll post up some feedback hopefully tomorrow on the hits (Grünes Gewölbe, Planwirtschaft) and the misses (bloody awful Mexican place, the hidden fruit in the Meissenzimmer cake shop chocolate cake - extremely hateful).

As for

pubs with about 3 girls sorounded by 30 desperate lads

do you mean too many dicks on the dancefloor?

@ Katrina

Short answer...Yes. please do go on and address my concerns:-)

I don't know what concerns you have, or what planet are you living on or where are you getting your information from.

If your main concern is to be on a dance floor surrounded by 30 men, then i suggest you stay in Southern Germany.

bluedave:

What places do you normally go to in Neustadt? Try Madness on Louissenstrasse, or Hebedas. These places are normally busy most

of the time.

Sorry jonnymayo, am sure others that live there can better answer your question - I was merely a tourist.

OK, the Frauenkirche (go outside onto the viewing platform for 6€), Sempe-Oper and Grünes Gewölbe were all certainly worth the look - the jewel room being a particular highlight. The Zwinger is pretty in good weather too.

Deccie's cake shop is the Cosel Palais - yes you do get the Meissen cups and plates BUT there was raspberry jam hidden inside my chocolate cake rendering it yukky, so minus points for that.

Indeed there is an Augustiner (although Plus supermarkets sell Staropramen beer in the area by the crate - yum), there's also a Ontario: Canadian Steakhouse which should make some of you grin.

Altmarkt-Galerie will make those seeking malls happy (and most stores are open until 9pm weekdays there).

Homage is a meals-like-granny-used-to-make restaurant, complete with period fixtures and fittings. Try the cheese and mince soup (seriously).

Another bar/café/restaurant worth a look would be the Planwirtschaft - very DDR-themed, the home appliances decorating the walls are good fun.

The hostel above Planwirtschaft Louise 20 is apparently comfortable, but we were in the Four Points.

One place to avoid would be the Espitas - dreadful food, dreadful service, just dreadful.

Now can someone explain the huge pipes everywhere?

So Katrina you have experienced Espitas. That restaurant would get my vote for the worst in Germany and not only in Dresden. The worst food, the worst service ever.

p.s. Sorry about the raspberry jam, <_<

The truffle bit of the cake was however LOVELY as were the staff.

How the heck is Espitas still open? It is an icon of deutsches Servicewüste.

Whatever is not a polite term for my boyfriend. ;)

He told me that it actually used to be pretty ok - it certainly isn't now.

I don't know what concerns you have, or what planet are you living on or where are you getting your information from.

See my original question a few posts up.

But i reckon you mite have mistaken my post (or perhaps i didn't explain right),

Just ment: the end result of my background check was to think that quite a lot of 18-30 age group had moved

west due to better job possibilities.

Obviously not living there I was just looking for some feedback from people up there.

Just ment: the end result of my background check was to think that quite a lot of 18-30 age group had moved

west due to better job possibilities.

Obviously not living there I was just looking for some feedback from people up there.

There is a huge st.udent population living in Dresden, both technical and in the arts.

Also compared to most other places in the East Dresden has a lot of high tech industry. Contrary to what you are saying there are a lot of people from the "west" living in Dresden.