Dresden - various general info and advice

53 posts in this topic

I am moving to Dresden soon and i can't speak any German and i don't know anyone there. Is there anyone here who can help? What is the average salary in Dresden ?

don't forget that people in the old east learned Russian at school up until 1989 (at least)

so you won't find as many folk, specially older folk, over there who speak fluent English as you do over here

Hi all,

I have just moved to Dresden and apart from the immediate (Neustadt and I dont know much abut that area to be honest) area I have no idea about the place.

What is there for a native english speaker (who can, if needed string the odd sentence together in german) to do?

I have spent quite a while living in Berlin and due to working strange shifts did not really get to have much of a life there and became a call centre potatoe so to speak. Can anyone give me info on any of the following areas?

1). The best nightspots in the town.

2). As said above, after a few years sitting on my behind answering the phone I need to get out and exercise. I would be interested in taking up kung fu again (long time since I did that). Does anyone know any good clubs?

3). I have read and heard (however nothing specific etc) that there are some not so good areas in Dresden for the non-local so to speak. Is this true/which areas? (I guess this would rule out and answers for 1 and 2 that that are any dodgy areas).

Thanks in advance,

David.

Hey! Welcome to Dresden! Compared to Berlin it will probably be a little boring for you. But as you did not have a lot of free time over there it might not be THAT bad for you. I'm sure there are people on here who will be a better help than me but I'll give it a try:

1. nightspots... It really depends on what kind of music you like and the type of people you'd like to be around. In Neustadt you have all kinds of bars and clubs. You just have to look around a bit and find one you like. I have always liked Jim Beams (the atmosphere, they show sports events on tv etc.) even though some people on here do not ;) I'd say, look around and find out! LOL

2. I have no clue... If you speak a little German, just google Kung Fu. I know there are places in Dresden.

3. Well, parts of Gorbitz and Prohlis are not the best areas but I wouldn't say it is dangerous.

Just get settled a bit and I am sure there will be more questions coming up!

1. It depends what your looking for. If you want to avoid meeting Germans then you can try the Irish Fiddler or the Shamrock. More of an expat feel.

2. Kung Fu, Go to a Dynamo Dresden football match shout some anti German slogans and then you can practice your kung fu as much as you like.

3. I would not live in Gorbitz if my life depended on it.

Welcome to Dresden.

the Taekwon-Do Akademie on Koenigbruecker Strasse 35. do Kung fu in Shaolin-Style

I have no idea if they speak English.

Regarding going out, it really depends what you are into.

Howdy all and thansk for the info.

@Malikos, if i wanted that kind of practace I would just pop back over the north east of England, go to a Sunderland vs Newcastle match and sit in the Sunderland end wearing a Newcastle football strip. I would then get an all expenses paid funeral.

@Deccie, thanks for the tip, I live in neustadt so if they do kung fu it would be pretty handy for me :-)

So, next question. Appologies if this has already been answered, I have no net access yet at home so have to post while at work.

Anybody know any good langauge schools? (as I said, I am sure this has been answered elsewhere).

David.

In terms of holiganism, i wouldn't exactly put the Newcastle fans at the same level as the Dynamo Dresden fans.

Recently the Leeds Utd vs Dynamo Dresden (pre season friendly) match was called off in fear that the Leeds utd fans would be splattered.

Hey ALL,

How are you feeling here in Dresden? I have been living here for four months. My husband took a job here, so why we are here, but for me is a little boring. I have a son, he goes to the kindergarden. So I do nothing in a daytime. I start to German courses since 17 December. I would like to have some job here...

Hi - am planning to move (and work) in Dresden in May, teaching English.

Have read entries below and am wondering about work opportunities (including teaching English but also in the hospitality industry) and generally about life in Dresden from people living and working there.

Thanks,

Matt

I have just arrived in Dresden from Sydney, Australia. I would appreciate any advice on finding work and meeting people from other native English speaking countries.

Topics merged by admin

Dalkien- There are a group of teachers from the Dresden International School who have drinks at the Shamrock on Fridays. (Some are even Aussies, and Figis) Please come and introduce yourself!

Welcome to Dresden, Dalkien! Look under events and meet-ups for English club meetings every Wednesday in Neustadt. Looking forward to meeting you. Maybe tonight? See you.

Your best chance of finding work if you have no specific other qualifications or work experience is to try teaching English. Applying to Inlingua and Berlitz is probably the best place for starting out (although not the best places to work) and later you will find the mulititude of other language schools in Dresden.

Thanx for the advice & info. I am a qualified accountant, but unfortunately do not speak German at all really. I have 2 job interviews on Monday with Lingus and English at work. Can anyone help me with what pay I should be asking for. It seems that the first question asked is "how much do you expect to earn" if we give you a job. Also if anyone has any useful info on these companies would be good. Please PM me.

I will start venturing out to social events in the next weeks - so yes I also look forward to meeting some other expats etc.

It's an old thread, but it saves me from opening a new thread.

Do any locals have tips of things to see and do in central Dresden during the daytime?

I'm going to be in Dresden for a couple of days next week as my gent has a business trip, so I'm a hanger-on basically.

Be interested in cafés, sights, day spas, thermen and the like.

Thanks!

Will you have transport when you are here? is so I recommend Toscana world in Bas Schandau, about 40 mins drive form Dresden.

If not then are you into Culture? A fab new exhibition has just opened at the Gemaelde Alte Meister Galerie: Ideals. Yearning and Reality. Or any of the museums in the Zwinger,

Cafes: Go to anywhere in the Neustadt:Schokoloadenbar Alaun Str 68 ( cannot find a web site, or Wohnzimmer exactly accross the road from that.

Where in DD will you be staying. It is extremely easy to get around the city by Tram.

A tip: if you intend going to a lot of the State museums: buy an anual Ticket for 30 Euro:

Annual ticket

(does not provide access to the Historic Green Vault)

The annual ticket is valid for twelve months from the day of purchase. It provides access to all museums and special exhibitions of the Dresden State Art Collections. The annual ticket is only valid with a picture ID and is not transferable.

It is available at all museums at a price of 30.00 Euros.

A bargain if you do intend.

Also cinema if thats your thing

Movies in Original language in Dresden

Bad Schandau is only 26 minutes from Dresden Hbf if you take the right train. 46 min. on slow train. Toscana is not a big walk from the train, of course weather is a factor in enjoying the walk.