Residence and employment visas for Germany

88 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am non-EU international student, and I have a freelance work permit, and a mini job. I finished uni in June, and I was going to apply for a freelance visa. But yesterday my supervisor told me that my MAsterarbeit was "full of formatting flaws", and I have to rewrite it. Long story short, I have to register again at uni. So my question is, can I still apply and obtain my freelance Aufenthalterlaubnis while being registered at uni? ( I have finished all exams), I have my steuernummer, and freelance insurance, and my own registered flat. 

Hi,

Im a Colombian holding a residence permit from Spain and I was wondering if because I have this permit is possible for me just to go to Berlin and trying to get a job or do I need a visa to look for job first in order to go to Germany? As tourist a dont need a visa to be in the country but since I want to get a job I dont know how the work permit works

34 minutes ago, Alejandrastapper said:

Hi,

Im a Colombian holding a residence permit from Spain and I was wondering if because I have this permit is possible for me just to go to Berlin and trying to get a job

If this isn't a Blue Card EU and you haven't worked in Spain for 18 months already, the answer is 'no'.

34 minutes ago, Alejandrastapper said:

or do I need a visa to look for job first in order to go to Germany? As tourist a dont need a visa to be in the country but since I want to get a job I dont know how the work permit works

That depends. What kind of training do you have, what do you do for a living? Did you study, if yes, what? How high will your prospective income be? 

And: How good is your German; why do you think Berlin ist the place for you to go?

Hi everybody, I've been watching this forum for a bit and would like some thoughts on my plan to move from the US to Germany within the next two years.

I am about to start a masters at a good school in the US to be an expert on energy/renewables and economics, and am seeing plenty of relevant jobs in Germany. My goal would eventually be to become a citizen there and give up American citizenship. From my research over the decade since I last spent several months in the EU, my specialized degree and experience should make me a better candidate for qualifying for a visa with or without a job offer. Is that correct? If not, would it be better to stay put in the US till I get a letter of intent?

You want to come to Germany as a graduate without relevant job experience and German language skills?

I grew up taking German in school and have heard about the citizenship process from EU citizens in extended family a lot over the years but most of them are no longer with us. I will be studying German on my own everyday for the next two years, as well as adding work experience on top of the several years I already have. Since the EU, especially Germany, is investing much more heavily in renewables in the US will that work in my favor?

43 minutes ago, dsto said:

I am about to start a masters at a good school in the US to be an expert on energy/renewables and economics

A degree gives you a basis from where you can gain experience. It will not make you an automatic expert.

From my research over the decade since I last spent several months in the EU, my specialized degree and experience should make me a better candidate for qualifying for a visa with or without a job offer. Is that correct?

Not really.

If not, would it be better to stay put in the US till I get a letter of intent?

You need to rethink your plan.

19 minutes ago, dsto said:

I grew up taking German in school and have heard about the citizenship process from EU citizens in extended family a lot over the years but most of them are no longer with us..

The citizenship process is irrelevant at the moment. You first need to figure out how you'll find a skilled job.

I will be studying German on my own everyday for the next two years

If you work diligently, you might reach B1/B2 on your own, however, that won't be sufficient for a job in your field that requires German. 

as well as adding work experience on top of the several years I already have.

Pre-degree experience won't count for much in Germany. 

Since the EU, especially Germany, is investing much more heavily in renewables in the US will that work in my favor?

No.

I know many foreign students who studied Environmental Resource Planning in Germany and who were not able to find a job here.

Your plan is based on many incorrect assumptions.

Thanks for your response. I regularly see job ads for energy trading/data-science that don't require knowing fluent German but prefer fluent English. Guess we'll see what happens!