Residence and employment visas for Germany

88 posts in this topic

As there always have been questions what type of documents/visas are needed for travelling from country A to country B, but being a national of country C and having a residency in country D, noone has to puzzle anymore what he/she needs.

Just a click away is the: IATA - Travel Centre

Type in some information of your trip and you get to know what visa requirements you have to meet.

(1) Contact the relevant embassy or immigration office

Particularly for UK-peeps, I cannot recommend the UK consulate in Düsseldorf enough. My experience has been that they are extremely friendly and helpful people and often better informed about German law than various German Behörde (I have been in the situation a couple of times where Ive had to get a German Beamter to ring the Bavarian courts to confirm what the consulate told me).

In dealing with the Ausländerbehörde its well worth being able to speak German and being prepared to shout very loudly at them if they try to play silly buggers. After a few hours dealing with Turkish Grandmothers in broken German they tend to get into a "foreigners are morons" groove - Its worth shaking them out of it again.

andy M

Things have changed in the consulate / embassy scene: Hamburg has now closed and Berlin is responsible for most of Northern Germany.

There are TWO locations in Berlin: the old one on Clayallee and one next to the Brandenburg gate. Read the websites so you know which one applies to you, or else prepare for a long bus ride... (knowing smile: happened last week)

I will simply add my own personal and recent two cents experience....

My husband was born and raised a German citizen. He moved to the U.S. in 1990 and became a U.S. citizen in 1998 - we met in 2000 and were married soon after. Fed up with corporate America, we "thought" that we could move to back to his hometown in Germany and get jobs. Boy - were we mistaken! I had read all of the various posts on here, and while forewarned - I naively thought our situation would be different because of his former status. NEGATIVE. We were told plain and simple that any and all jobs will go to German citizens first - E.U. citizens second - and only then citizens of other countries will be considered. So - even with any job contracts / offers from a company - it would be up to the bureaucractic representative to determine if the U.S. citizen was "worth" the job - or if there were any German or E.U. citizens that could / would do the same job, no matter what the difference in prior experience. Unless you have an actual job contract "in-hand" you will be wasting your time and money to come over here and try - because otherwise you spinning your wheels at the mercy of the German government.

He moved to the U.S. in 1990 and became a U.S. citizen in 1998

Too bad he didn't wait until 2000 and apply for a Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

I am an Australian citizen,

I have been here for 9 months on a wrok and travel visa, I have a job a residance and my girlfriend lives here. I don't want to go home (In march). I have the "work permit" visa form in my hand, I have talked to my boss about filling in the form with me. I only make 200 euros per month, but my rent is very cheap, It is very possible for me to live off this money, I am worried that It won't look like enough money to the visa office.

I am also just a cook, not trained-

Does anyone have any information that could help? The guy at my local Auslanderbehörde is not very helpful.

Hello,

I am rejected by Germany.

They wrote something but didn't understand. It is related with that gem. § 31 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 AufenthV

Do you know what is it and why did they reject me?

DO you think I have a chance to get it if I apply one more?

They wrote something but didn't understand. It is related with that gem. § 31 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 AufenthV

Your spouse died but you didn't live together in Germany, or he/she died but didn't have a valid German permit?

§31 Aufenthaltsgesetz:

§ 31

Eigenständiges Aufenthaltsrecht der Ehegatten

(1) Die Aufenthaltserlaubnis des Ehegatten wird im Falle der Aufhebung der ehelichen Lebensgemeinschaft als eigenständiges, vom Zweck des Familiennachzugs unabhängiges Aufenthaltsrecht für ein Jahr verlängert, wenn

1. die eheliche Lebensgemeinschaft seit mindestens drei Jahren rechtmäßig im Bundesgebiet bestanden hat oder
2. der Ausländer gestorben ist, während die eheliche Lebensgemeinschaft im Bundesgebiet bestand
und der Ausländer bis dahin im Besitz einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis, Niederlassungserlaubnis oder Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG war, es sei denn, er konnte die Verlängerung aus von ihm nicht zu vertretenden Gründen nicht rechtzeitig beantragen.

Sorry, my bad, that was § 31 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 AufentV, not AufentG.

In that case, the Ausländerbehörde simply didn't want to allow you to also work self-employed here.

"Erwerbstätigkeit" encompasses the permission to be self-employed and/or an employee, while "Beschäftigung" is about being only an employee.

Sorry, my bad, that was § 31 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 AufentV, not AufentG.

In that case, the Ausländerbehörde simply didn't want to allow you to also work self-employed here.

"Erwerbstätigkeit" encompasses the permission to be self-employed and/or an employee, while "Beschäftigung" is about being only an employee.

Thats is quite unfair and silly.

Just because they didnt want, now I have a "rejection" from one shengen state at my records. I will object to. Already wrote a letter.

Yes, how unfair and silly of Germany to impose checks on uncontrolled immigration. Surely no other industrialized "western" nations do this. Germany is clearly out of line and you are entirely correct to write them a strongly-worded letter.

You might want to consider getting a lawyer as well. Perhaps an appeal to the United Nations would also be in order.

Good luck to you.

Yes, how unfair and silly of Germany to impose checks on uncontrolled immigration. Surely no other industrialized "western" nations do this. Germany is clearly out of line and you are entirely correct to write them a strongly-worded letter.You might want to consider getting a lawyer as well. Perhaps an appeal to the United Nations would also be in order.Good luck to you.

I already wrote and brought it to embassy. If the result will be positive then everything will be fine, but if it will be negative, as you said, I won't stop. I will hire a lawyer and I am sure I will be found right at the court.

No way. I don't have anyone in Germany.

Then what are you doing in Germany? For what type of permit did you apply?

I am sure I will be found right at the court.

Why are you so convinced that you are right?

Then what are you doing in Germany? For what type of permit did you apply?Why are you so convinced that you are right?

I do not go there for sake of money or for sake of staying Germany. I just go there as a talented employee with reasonable little salary and only for career purposes. In any case my salary won't be enough for Frankfurt and I will get money from my home so it is only for career and linguistic purposes for me. Every document they requested I brought, everything is official, the company which invited me is a world wide well-known company.

Also I don't intend to stay in Germany for lots of years. My home is better near sea. :)

First of all, you should read the wiki (especially the part about the Vorrangprüfung).

In any case my salary won't be enough for Frankfurt and I will get money from my home so it is only for career and linguistic purposes for me.

Furthermore, if the salary is not enough to cover your living expenses, the ABH is not allowed to even issue you a permit even if you pass the Vorrangprüfung (see §5 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 AufenthG).