Car rental in Germany

93 posts in this topic

I hope this saves someone a lot of money.

No, just causes a lot of confusion because you are completely wrong. Hopefully a moderator will remove your waste-of-space contribution.

Ooh, old thread, but didn't want to start a new one just for this question:

It seems that, in Germany, rental companies often charge you to take the car over a border? Is this enforced, or will they waive it at the counter in general? Asking in order to calculate the best price. It seems that only Avis doesn't charge. Any experience?

Hi kaffeemitmilch.  Twice this year I have hired a car from Sixt and driven to the UK via Luxembourg, Belgium and France.  Sixt knew what I was planning to do.  No extra charges.

Well de just rented one and I had asked.They said no there were no charges. Maybe depending on country you plan to go?

Oh good to know.

I called Avis, and they said no charges -  they just needed to know beforehand. Hertz said 25 or so, and they said Dollar and Thrifty (both Hertz companies that share the same rental premises) charge 45... and Enterprise is 50. I just think that a major company charging for crossing a border in Europe, with land borders up the wazoo, is odd, as they didn't when I was in Holland, or even in the US.

Wherearewegoingto: from which company did you rent?

Anyway, I think I'll take my own car in the end. I just thought renting a nice new car for the weekend to go to Switzerland would be fun, and maybe an automatic so my mother could help me drive. I've lost my initiative now, though...

I wanted to rent a car to drive from Paris to Trier and the price went up almost $1000 as soon as I got to the payment page.  And yet when I ordered the same car from Paris and then 10 days in Germany and back to Paris it went down to below $400. And that is with the paid insurance.  Could it be because I ordered i this time from the USA?  I never had this problem when I ordered from Germany. But, my VPN was set for Austria even though I am currently in Los Angeles.

I think it's dearer if you pick up in one country and drop off in another.

14 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

I think it's dearer if you pick up in one country and drop off in another.

Yes exactly.

19 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

It seems that, in Germany, rental companies often charge you to take the car over a border?...

I think that people are applying a different idea to what you mean with cross border.  If you pick-up and drop-off in the same location then it should not be a big problem, there might be a small fee for taking it abroad but often not.  But if you want to go one way then you might find issues.

Look at it from the rental company perspective.  If you drive from Germany to (for example) Spain one way, then they need to get that car back to Germany.  The Spanish authorities won't like that they rent cars not registered in that country.  So then they need to find somebody willing to drive it back.

For one or two rentals it might be OK, but for too many it is an issue.

When we rented vehicles in New Zealand for example when we wanted to drop it off on the South Island after hiring on the North Island then the fee increased massively.  And they told us that if they allowed it, then they would end up with all their vehicles on the South Island as all the tourists would do this and they have to transport them back.  So we had to drop off the car, take our luggage onto the passenger ferry, and pick up a new one on the other side.

I believe that they did allow this for camper vans, but it was why you could rent for about 30 - 40% cheaper if you done the journey from South -> North Island

I rented from Buchbinder in October, pick up Munich airport, drop off Frankfurt airport. I told them I'd be visiting Austria and France and there was no extra charge. I got a lovely car in a higher class than I had booked, but decided to pay extra for an automatic. In the end I changed the drop off back to Munich. All very easy.

22 hours ago, niland said:

Europcar will charge around 19€ as cross border fee.

Are you sure you paid cross border fee and not accident insurance (towing, repair costs)?

I rented this September and they told me I was only covered in Germany, so I paid for this one. Otherwise, no costs. That was Europcar in Memmingen airport.

The only challenge when taking a German-based rental car out of the country is that you need a country-specific vignette to legally drive the car in Austria or Switzerland.  Most rental cars available here don't automatically come with them.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

The only challenge when taking a German-based rental car out of the country is that you need a country-specific vignette to legally drive the car in Austria or Switzerland.  Most rental cars available here don't automatically come with them.

For the autobahns, not the minor roads.

We took one back to the UK a couple of years ago, and the ADAC (it was a breakdown replacement vehicle - we broke down on the way to the ferry) were really silly about it, and said that because we are Brits, how would they know we were going to return and bring the vehicle back. Oh duh. I think it was Sixt who went with it in the end.

On 11/22/2019, 12:44:35, kaffeemitmilch said:

Oh good to know.

I called Avis, and they said no charges -  they just needed to know beforehand. Hertz said 25 or so, and they said Dollar and Thrifty (both Hertz companies that share the same rental premises) charge 45... and Enterprise is 50. I just think that a major company charging for crossing a border in Europe, with land borders up the wazoo, is odd, as they didn't when I was in Holland, or even in the US.

A car rental company charging inflated amounts of money for normal ordinary things one does with a car... who'd a-thunk it??

Last time we rented a car, we planned cross-border travel, but just didn't tell them. We rented the car in a Swiss border town (because it automatically has the vignette), then drove to northern Italy. They didn't ask where we were going, and when we picked up the car, the guy spoke no English or German, only Italian. *Shrug* I know we could have had insurance problems, but we were in a border area anyway. I don't remember seeing anything about charges in the fine print (which I did quickly read over) 

Most recently got charged 62€ after returning a car, because there were supposedly "streaks" on the car. We returned the car late morning after several hours of heavy rain, and the car then sat in heavy rain for who knows how long till they looked it over. Even if there were "streaks" (there weren't, I onced-over the car we had been gentle with, and it was spotless), how would it be our fault, and how does it cost 62€, consider they would typically was the car regardless. And we had already got the priciest insurance/coverage package, just in case. Figure that one out! 

2 minutes ago, alderhill said:

We rented the car in a Swiss border town (because it automatically has the vignette), then drove to northern Italy.

Are there not problems for a EU citizen to drive a swiss registered hire car into the EU?  Or has that changed?  

12 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Are there not problems for a EU citizen to drive a swiss registered hire car into the EU?  Or has that changed?  

I'm not an EU citizen, but uh... I dunno. They didn't ask, we didn't mention it. (We couldn't have anyway, we had reserved online, but there was no common language at the desk pick-up in the Italian part of Switzerland -- I was genuinely surprised by that)

The main worries, as I understand it, are car theft and insurance coverage.