Car rental in Germany

93 posts in this topic

No chance. They only offer Golfs. I hope they have more than one.

Prices look good however, event taking into account extras like cleaning.. :)

I want to rent a car next week for a week over X-mas to go skiing, but can't find a decent rate anywhere. I need winter tyres and some rental companies charge an (unverschaemt) 15 Euros a day for them.

The best overall rate I could find (with a discount voucher) is around 360 Euros for a compact size - far more than I'd like to pay.

Does anyone know of any companies that will charge less than that? Or better still, does anyone here work for a car rental company, who could get a good rate for me? Or anyone have any discount vouchers they would give me. I would be willing to give anyone who can get me a substantial saving a free night of food and drink at The Arc...

Maybe some kind TTer who is heading back home for the festive season would let you use their car.. for a small fee, of course..?

Anyone? :)

If you joined Stattauto Muenchen you could get a compact car , with winter tires and even ski racks if you want, for one week for about 120 Euros. The catch is that it would cost you 20 cents per kilometer, (this includes gas , insurance etc.) It would probably cost around 300 Euros but that would include gas. Good luck!

http://www.stattauto-muenchen.de/

Just read about Stattauto and you can't hire a car for a week after registration. Too late for me, unfortunately.

Any other suggestions???

One suggestion is to NOT go with Budget. Man, I meant to write a thread about this. They do not offer winter tyres at all, even for 15 euros a day. I was hiring a car about 3 weeks ago now when we had all that snow, I called and said I needed winter tyres on my 2 month old reservation (I had a good price) and the rude prick on the phone says "We don't have winter tyres". I said "How am I meant to drive in this fecking snow without winter tyres" and he says "Well, it would be crazy, you must pay 750 euros if you crash though".

I'm still going to write this thread about them, but either way, don't go with them.

As for the 15 euros a day, its an incredible rip off but I had to pay it - the all want it. I went through Sixt like 3 days before I wanted to rent and it was only 340 euros for a week including winter tyres, insurance, everything which I don't think is too bad at such short notice. The car looked ghey (ford focus that looks like a family wagon) but man, it had some guts and was huge on the inside. No complaints at all.

I wonder if you rented without the winter tyres would you still get the car with winter tyres. I reckon you might.

Couldn't you just rent a car with normal tyres and rent a set of snow chains from the ADAC, I don't think you have to be a member.

Couldn't you just rent a car with normal tyres and rent a set of snow chains from the ADAC

ADAC don't rent chains any more, at least not in the normal sense. You can buy them from €41.95, but they return your money (less €3 per day for members, €5 per day for non-members) so long as you return them in original packing, unused.

Ah, didn't know that, still cheaper than 15 Euros a day for winter tyres and you could use them next year or flog 'em on E-Bay! :)

Yeh, but you can't drive normally with snow chains, they are crap.. if you're going up a steep hill that is icey then they are good.. otherwise winter tyres are the business..

Oh I don't dispute that, but you would only use them in an emergency. But thinking more about it, I believe that after 1st January it will be illegal to drive in bad conditions without winter tyres so the rental firm would be renting you an "illegal" car. I reckon there's a good chance that it will have winter tyres on as you already suggested.

I am going to give a secret away since I will not be renting a car any further since I owe one now.

When booking a car, especially at Europcar, and I would recommend them since they seem to have the best selection of cars and prices, especially for the weekend special, ask for the following:

If going away for the weekend from Fri to Mon, phone Europcar on the Thursday before you leave and ask for a Golf Automatic. It is their compact class.

You will always be upgraded one or two vehicle classes simply because of calling late, and because they never have an automatic Golf available.

I have done this a minimum of 20 times in the last year and have yet to see a Golf! Usually anything from a 407 to a brand new Passat.

Best deal in town!

I agree with Hutcho, BUDGET suck! I have a mini-lease (ending very soon thank God) and have vowed to never ever use them again. They are rude, clueless, coniving, and staff contradict each other. I got tricked (long story) into extending the mini-lease and when I went to exchange the car for one with winter tyres (having reserved it 3 weeks beforehand) was told there were no cars with it. The fact that i was going snowboarding on the weekend and also driving to Bodensee did not phase them. So, we went boarding and had to drive in 1st gear down the mtn pissing everyone off. Only after I chucked a mental at them did they exchange the car for one with winter tyres ... which doubled the monthly price of the monthly rental. Now looking at buying a car ...

I booked a car - an aforementioned Automatic Golf from Europcar for €316 for the week including winter tyres.

What was strange was that this rate was lower than with a discount voucher. Stranger still is that I checked out the normal prices for all Europcar hire places in Munich. The rate I got was at Neuperlach - the next lowest rate was around €390. So the lesson here is to always check out all the rental stations in Munich before accepting a price.

I'm picking the car up on Thursday and I'll let you know if I get an upgrade!!

I'll be glad when laws on 1 Jan come into force forcing cars to have winter tyres. Then at least I won't have to worry about them being a hidden cost!!

Another hidden cost: I think they expect you to return the car washed. That's another 6-8 EUR.

Also, it may be worth going into the office and haggling. I haven't tried it in Germany (land of no-competition), but in the U.S., I go to the counter next to the one where I have a reservation and offer them to beat the reservation I already have.

Another hidden cost: I think they expect you to return the car washed. That's another 6-8 EUR.

Last time I hired a car it was from Europcar to go to the F1, the car got completely covered in dust inside and out as I had to park in a field, not a peep from the folks at Europcar about it, infact they didn't even check the car at all, this could be due to the fact that I returned it ridiculusly late at their 24hr joint and handed my keys back to the half sleeping bird watching the TV behind the counter.

Agree with Spuzzum about being upgraded, I have never once got the car I've ordered from Europcar, always have been upgraded to something swisher. Problem with that tho is that usually your upgrade comes with a bigger engine and you end up spending snot loads more on petroleum distillate.

I can highly reccommend Enterprise (www.enterprise.com). They have several locations around Munich, have a weekend rate of 9.99 Euro per day (unlimited kms) and every 5th weekend rental is free. They won't let you travel to Eastern Europe, but Austria, Switzerland and Northern Italy are fine.

Plus, the people there are always really great and friendly... a rarity in this country.

One bad thing though, they charge 7 Euro per day for winter tires. :angry:

Im still waiting to get a specific info about exactly how my company are going to deal with the new rules.

Will let you know as I imagine all car hire companies will do something very similar.

However I am certain you will still have to pay extra for the winter tyres. At the end of the day the car hire company will be wanting to recover the cost of A. having to purchase winter tyres and B. having to change the tyres on all the cars.

My colleague just told me about a report she saw on TV about the new rules and car hire companies and said something about that as long as the hire car has all weather tyres it is ok. However in the event of an accident, if the car needed winter tyres in those conditions but didnt have them it is the renter and not the hire company who is at fault for not having the winter tyres..."it is the renters responsibility to ensure that the vehicle has the necessary tyres for the conditions they will be driving in"

Dont quote me on that though, just what my colleague tells me.

Anyway, as soon as I find out something concrete from my company I will post it here so at least we all have an idea of how it will be.