Car rental in Germany

93 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience renting a car in Germany? Obviously I can look up Sixt and such myself, but perhaps someone has already done the research of where's cheapest?

Be careful when you rent cars over the internet, especially with sixt as often the price doesnt include insurance. But you can get some nice cars with them.

Try holidayautos.de (tel 01805 179192) They are like a travel agent but for car rental only. You still get your car with a known company such as National or Europcar, hertz etc but is often cheaper. The price with Holiday Autos includes all insurances and they even pay the damage excess should you have an accident. All rental companies charge you 500 euro plus for damage but HA pay that for you.

Ok, yes, I work for a car rental company. I work for National/Alamo and sit in the offices of Holiday Autos. (I actually get a better deal from holiday autos, even though I dont work for them, than I do from my own company! - go figure!?)

If you want, tell me the dates, time, location and car type and I will check the prices with them for you.

Have a dig around for the posting about carsharing companies, they usually work out cheaper than rental.

I've also seen stickers for this company: www.navicar.de on cars around town. They seem very cheap if you book a bit in advance, as cheap as €9 a day, but have not actually rented from them yet.

Have rented cars a lot in the past, with work, and would say that Hertz are the all round best. Their prices are usually legit (i.e. you end up paying what you are quoted) and the default rental package includes everything you need (theft insurance etc.). I am relucatant to recommend though, as the last time I went back home, they fucked me around incredibly (and not in a good way) with some stupid Christmastime rules about Irish drivers.

Anyway hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the advice folks. I forgot to mention it's for my parents for when they come in May.

But so you know, after having checked out several options and sent them the links given (along with any necessary explanations of the German), Dad found the best prices through his AMA (Cdn. auto assoc.) and Hertz. They have a Passat/Mondeo for one week that costs them around 212 Euros.

We're thinking about renting a car to drive to Hamburg for a few days over Christmas and I've been assigned research duties. I haven't the foggiest where to begin or what to expect. If anyone has recommendations or experiences to share I'd be more than grateful.

Hi!, I´ve rented a Daewoo Kalos last week end in the airport for 36 euro (with out km limit). The company its called National.

Bye

I also rented from the airport with Europcar. They have special deals at the weekend (and longer periods I think) and the rates are pretty darn cheap.

You have to collect and drop off at the airport though. Its all on their website (www.europcar.de) which can be a little erratic to use

Yeah its Alamo/national I work for and we have special offer at the mo in germany for the daewoo matiz for 10euro per day and the daewoo kalos for 12 euro per day. thats insured and with unlimited miles. No restriction on whether you pick up at airport or city office.

(www.national.de)

But I have access to Holiday autos system too (car rental broker) who deal with Alamo/national, hertz, europcar, budget and some others and often work out cheaper that booking directly. (I personally get a better rate from them that I do my own company!) Also they often provide extra insurance included in rate and also have special deals with the rental companies for things like free winter tyres etc. (www.holidayautos.de)

Right, after shamefully promoting both companies I am going to stop before I get in real trouble! :)

Oh, and on the german web sites a PKW is the cars ;)

Bex, how much would a medium sized car cost me for Dec 31 thru Jan 2, i.e. picking it up on the eve of Dec 31 (if that's even possible) and returning it early AM Jan 2 or even late-ish PM Jan 2? You could PM your answer if you felt posting it would be further shameless PR! Cheers.

Its a well known fact that many rental car companies restrict travel to certain countries like the Czech Republic or Italy.

Can anyone give me a specific car rental company and car model combination that can go to the Czech Republic? I know Opel compacts with Sixt can go, but I need something to fit 4 people. Something like a ford or opel combi.

thanks!

Anyone have specific rental advice for a Eastern European road trip? Are there any companies that won't rent for that kind of trip?

I went to Prague with an Opel Vectra wagon (with GPS) 2 weeks ago from Europcar. They also had the best price. I tried to get a car for Eastern Europe through Holiday cars. I specified this information when booking online. A lady from Holiday Car's headquarters in Amsterdam called me to inform me that their contract with car rental companies forbids them from allowing the renter to go the Eastern Europe with their vehicles (holiday cars contracts you through sixt, avis, hertz at a chap rate).

So - with Europcar you should go!

Advice with Europcar (as suggested by europcar when I called them): Book your car class online to get a good rate. Then call them with your reservation number (they speak english) and they will alter the reservation to a car that you can bring to the East. They allow the VW Passat, the Skoda Octavia, and the Opel Vectra. The rates drop if the car category of the car goes down - so don't be worried about them ripping you off.

Sixt allow you to go to the East, but they don't permit certain cars. Specifically I noticed that Porsches must stay in Germany or Austria for example.

If anyone wants the Europcar number, for future reference

Please dial (0049) - 89 973 50 20 to get in contact with Europcar at Munich airport.