88 posts in this topic

Options:

1) Russian

2) French

3) Chinese

4) Arabic

5) Italian

6) Spanish

(not fancying it too much, but understand up to 60% of it when spoken, same is valid for Italian and French)

Help! I cannot decide... I think I still have a capacity for about 2 extra languages in my memory bin, and would like to start them asap... but I cannot decide.

Which of the above you think sells better on the labor market in the next 50 years?

@ hockeywidow

Why? Because they are so many,... the Chinese?

@Dostoevsky

Well, I have Hungarian, Romanian and English tuned up to approximately the same levels - but all I know for my field of study is actually... all of it in English.

Then I have German, which is getting better and better every single day - I am not worried about it.

But I want something new now... and cannot decide!

Italian! Wouldn't be so difficult as you already know Romanian, and Italy is close to Munich.

Maybe one should pick Hoch-Chinese in that case... to prevent all confusions from the very beginning.. :lol:

If you want to give Chinese a try, be prepared for LOTS of frustration. After years of trying, I'm still not able to talk to taxi-drivers or waitresses... I'm already happy if they understand me when I ask "Where's the toilet, please?"...

No, no Arabic... true... I don't want to become a spy... I just want good decent environmentally friendly work and tasks... anywhere in the world.

c#

How difficult is learning a language compared to learning a programming language?

How difficult is learning a language compared to learning a programming language?

Not quite infinitely harder, but close.

Or to put it another way, there are about 50 keywords in Java, fewer still in C. Now open your dictionary...

She had probably just run out of ideas for starting a new thread.

If she was half-way serious about it, by now she would have acquired at least basic skills in one of the European languages on her list.

But Tom, Julia Is a very clever girl.

But Katz, Tom is one of the most clever and nice boys whom I've ever seen. I can understand his oral Chinese in the most cases. :rolleyes: The only problem might be that the Chinese taxi drivers don't hold the same Diplom-certificates as their German counterparts...(quoted from a German friend who studied Germanistik.)