Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Munich is Europe's best airport

38 posts in this topic

Munich is Europe’s best airport ... for the second year in a row.

Repeated top marks for comfort, services offered and friendliness: just like last year, Terminal 2 ranks right at the top in terms of popularity with the passengers. This is confirmed by the results of the “World Airport Award

post-16-1154327957.jpg

How the hell can Copenhagen be number 10? I've been there loads of times - the airport is small, cramped, poorly laid out and the BA lounge is rubbish too.

Shocking.

I must say though that I prefer Munich T2 to Changi any day.

Copenhagen airports- good shopping!

huh? We are talking about Copenhagen in Denmark here, right? The shopping is better down Brick Lane market than at that airport!

Agree. Copenhagen Airport (where I was last week) is terrible for shopping. I always buy what I need in town before I fly back to Germany.

I've been to 6/10 on that list and must say that Kansai is the best. But that's probably just because it is relatively new and big, plus they had free wireless all over the place when I was there.

About Copenhagen airport, it's nothing special, but I wouldn't call it *small*, @Lassie you did walk the entire length of the terminals? There are plenty of decent shops, I got last minute birthday/christmas presents many times here. Agree with the BA lounge though, personally I never bothered most times and just went and got some decent food and a beer outside.

I've been to 5 of them, and Singapore is the best out of those. I don't know why people rave about Munich airport, I think its pretty boring.. Dubai is another excellent airport which is clearly better than Munich..

Boring? Well, I don't actually expect my airport to provide me with action and excitement.

Munich airport is clean, reasonably well laid out, with cheap food and beer available, unlike the prices charged by most airports for their captive audiences. What more do you want?

About Copenhagen airport, it's nothing special, but I wouldn't call it *small*, @Lassie you did walk the entire length of the terminals? .

yep - with the delays both BA and SAS have during winter between London and C'hagen I've had the chance to explore pretty much the whole place - and it's not very good. Arlanda in Stockholm is better.

Airports should not be boring, there should be things to do that are interesting. It was brilliant when Lufthansa had all those free fussball tables to play on (at Munich airport) while you were waiting for your (delayed) flight. Made the 1.5 hour wait go in no time :D I don't know if they are still there, haven't flown Lufthansa for a while now.

I would like to add that excluding the Hon lounge at Frankfurt (and that was a lucky one off), the lounge at Basel airport is probably the best I've been in. Good food, fully stocked and attended bars (2 of them) where they will make proper cocktails for you, loads of big TVs that you have full power over, loungers, meeting rooms, big comfy armchairs. Really a very good lounge.

Only been to the top 3 on that list. Hong Kong was fun, Changi is nothing memorable, and Munich is OK. Think it depends what you are looking for from an airport. I like being able to drink wiessbier at Munich, but for shopping, I think its absolutely rubbish. Heathrow all the way on that front for me, but only because the things I like to buy are English cheese, Ribena, and fish and chips.

Boring? Well, I don't actually expect my airport to provide me with action and excitement.

Munich airport is clean, reasonably well laid out, with cheap food and beer available, unlike the prices charged by most airports for their captive audiences. What more do you want?

I'd agree with this, however have you been to Changi or Dubai? In Changi for example, there are lounges everywhere with big screen TV's on loads of different channels. In the same room, you have free mobile phone chargers and free super high speed wifi internet. The shopping there is good as well. I could sit in that airport for 8 hours no problems.

Three things I like about Munich airport:

1. Terminal 2 has good shopping even beyond the security check station. And whoever decided to put an Esprit store right next to arrivals gets my thanks! I always hope whatever flight I'm meeting will be about 20 minutes late.

2. AirBraeu's terrace. Not so much the restaurant itself, though.

3. Edeka in Terminal 1. It's fab to have a nice supermarket where you can run in and get fresh milk, veg, bread, whatever on the way home when you fly in on a Sunday after some time away.

Munich airport is clean, reasonably well laid out

disagree ... try going to the gents upon arrival in terminal 1 ... 3 urinals & a couple of cubicles in a cramped cupboard for an aircraft full of passengers is pretty poor. and if your sitting at the back of the aircraft, those loos are pretty messy by the time you get to them!

airside shopping in munich is also crap, at least in terminal 1.

big plus for munich (again terminal 1) is that it probably has the quickest baggage turnaround time compared to any airport I've ever flown to.