Skype - free phone calls via the Internet

132 posts in this topic

I just wish they had canadian skypein numbers.. the rumours were spread long ago about them but they never released them.. :/

does anyone else very often get messages from complete randoms?

ive just had

djouba: hello

schotte: who are you?

djouba: i am ballack from algeria. and you?

i find this happens quite a lot. very strange.

you dont think its michael ballack do you? havent seen him in ages come to think of it.

Then you must select :- Only receive messages from names on my contact list. That will stop it. Also disable " Skype me. "

Hey guys -- I have to admit in advance that my client is ooVoo. That said, ooVoo is a really cool free audio, text, and video conferencing software that's free and pretty cool for a number of reasons and you should check it out -- the software and the system doesn't yet have any SkypeIn or SkypeOut but it is much better-sounding will less bandwith; also, you can get up to five other people onto the video chat all at once -- and unlike other tools, having multiple people on your video call doesn't "cost" more bandwidth. Finally, I am one of the cool people who can hook you up with the Mac version as well -- still in beta.

I think Skype is awesome, I bought a shitty, cheap headset and even with that the connections is clear, as good as my land line. Just sometimes when I call Egypt I get a bit of a delay in the connection but other than that I'm totally happy with skype.

Yesterday Skype announced some competitive plans. Now they offer unlimited phone calls to many destinations with a monthly subscription. Full details here.

The downside is, one has to use Skype specific hardware and not a conventional SIP device.

5 Dollars a month is quite a lot for a single country. If it included calls in Germany as well then it would be OK. I think there are better deals around.

For 4.54 EUR per month, you get a total of 10,000 minutes to 20 European countries.

For 4.54 EUR per month, you get a total of 10,000 minutes to 20 European countries.

Expensive, then eh? From Deutsche Telekom a similar deal (called CountryFlat) costs €3.94/month, and includes unlimited calls to 25 countries, including North America. No special equipment or need to have a PC on all the time to make and receive calls.

Did everyone but me already know about the screen sharing function in skype? Very useful for anyone with parents who need help with their computers sometimes. Like Remote Desktop except you can't take over their mouse or keyboard, you can just see what they have and tell them what to click. Quality's not great, but it's really easy to use.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/screensharing/