Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Areas of Frankfurt with parks and green open space

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

We are leaving Munich after 7 years and moving to Frankfurt soon. We have a 1 year old daughter and a dog. We were wondering if you could help us with advice as to where in Frankfurt, or outside of Frankfurt, we should concentrate our search for a place to live.

Important to us is to be near a park area for walks with the dog and to be close to some nice schools for our daugther. Where we live in Munich is a 5 minute walk to the main park and we love it. We hardly use our car and bike or walk to downtown, the park, or to my wife's work where she teaches Pilates.

Any advice on an area which allows us to walk/or bike quickly to a park area would be much appreciated. We still like to go out to dinners and the occassional bar night, but not all the time. We would also consider a place outside of Frankfurt if central Frankfurt is reachable by train or by car within a reasonable time.

Thank you all!

Try Bad Soden, nice big park there, nice area, takes about 20-25 minutes to city centre on S-Bahn.

Also has a good few bars and restaurants.

Frankfurt doesn't seem to have that many parks or green areas - although Grüneburg Park in Westend is nice and some areas of Sachsenhausen border on countryside.

Bad Homburg, just outside FFM, is nice - good U and S-Bahn service. Bit of a more expensive area though...

@rmerrick,

I lived in the Westend* (tree lined roads) and loved it - it was next to Grueneburg Park and was literally 5/10min walk into the city centre. Many people think it is to quiet/boring but who needs too many bars and restaurants when you can walk to them in 5mins. It was within walking distance for drunken returns to my apartment at 5 in the morning………Others complain too that there are too many bankers living there.

You have to remember that ffm is a lot smaller than Munich - so you can get around quicker and out into the countryside faster.

Sachsenhausen is considered, I think, as the young family area. In Sachsenhausen people use the river for jogging and walking their dogs which is close if you are to the North. If you are to the south there is a woods and countryside not too far away. There are lots of Bars and restaurants in Sachsenhausen..

Frankfurt central/central are all good areas except for round the Train station and south of it. The poorer dodgey areas are on the outskirts of the city. Bornheim is loved by many for being Bohemian (arty, young, funky and gay) that is north of konstablerwache...There is a park there but some do complain (a few of my friends) that there are too many Turks in the summer barbequing all the time...

I know nothing of the posh areas/villages/towns outside…..

PS. They are regenerating the river and building a lot of luxury apartments there (not far from hanoverlandstrasse where the clubs and bars are). If you like that kind of thing it is worth a shout...especially as you get river views and have quick access to run/jog/walk the dog along the river. Not my cuppa of tea - however.

* There are a few restaurants not bars but they are more local clientel or family frequented places...

I would suggest Westend, around Gruneberg Park, or Nordend.

On a street map, around either the Palmengarten, or between EschersheimerLandstr and Eckenheimerlandstr. On the tube map, around Bockenheimer Warte (U6/U7) or between Grunenbergweg (U1/2/3) and Glaubergstr (U5)

South Of Frankfurt in Dreich, There is a swimming lake, which also as trails that go out into the Forest. There is also the Forrest around Schwannheim. There are lots of forest walkways in the south/, south/west of Frankfurt.

Another place is at the end of the US in Oberursel-Hohemark. It drops you off at the base of the Taunus Forest/Mountains.

Thank you all for the input!...and thanks for the details Stanford...we will definitely look at Westend. We are going to drive up tomorrow and spend two or three nights looking around.

All the best and thanks again!

Here are a list of parks:

http://www.inyourpocket.com/germany/frankf...=55740&chid=153

One that is missing is Niddapark - I think the largest. Residential areas Hausen, Bockenheim, Ginnheim, Heddernheim and Praunheim are on the border of this park.

And you have the great beer garden Wäldches here.

(that is if you do not mind seeing the Telekom tower all the time)

And from http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/tour...ests/index.html

Frankfurt is one of Germany's most wooded urban areas. The city forest was once part of the vast Imperial Forest. In 1372, the city purchased these woods from Kaiser Karl IV. Today, Frankfurt City Forest comprises close to 5,000 hectares, making it the largest communal city forest in Germany. A 450-kilometre-long network of paths offers walkers, runners, cyclists and hikers ample opportunity for getting out and about!

There are some very nice houses/flats overlooking the Ostpark in Bornheim not far from where I live. Ok the park might not be the biggest or best in Frankfurt but I think the houses around there are all very lovely with gardens etc.