Atta Kim's photography

31 posts in this topic

I just read a really cool article about Atta Kim, a photographer who uses long exposure times in his work. Here is his photo of intersection of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street which he exposed for 8 hours. Makes ya think, doesn't it :D?

post-414-1152881985_thumb.jpg

Source

The NYTimes explains it a bit better:

Every day, hundreds of tourists snap photographs of a crowd- and car-jammed Times Square. The average picture takes — what? — 15 seconds to shoot? The same picture of the same place takes the Korean photographer Atta Kim eight hours. And his Times Square ends up with only an eerie trace of a human presence, like a deserted movie set.

I guess people come and go, ultimately fading away while the scenery still stands. Although as we know, even buildings, scenery and our environments are just as mortal as we are.

hmmmm...guess the people got bored and left!

I can take that with me canon 3 MP comes out just the same and people say it will be better if i had a 8 mp camera!

well, if he took a photo of my office for 8 hours my butt would at least be visible (if my fingers weren't)

Fascinating photo though.

well, if he took a photo of my office for 8 hours my butt would at least be visible

take you that long to expose your butt eh? :D

I opened this thread thinking it had to be T&A and I get traffic ?FFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

You need those pictures in digital when you want to combine them. Basically you need a camera that offers different options of taking a photo. Different exposure, lenses, etc. Traditionally that's what pro cameras offer, non-digital still have an advantage over digitial, as far as I remember.

take you that long to expose your butt eh?

:P No, that's how little it moves off this (little) chair, ahem.

For Munich it won't be a problem - this city is never really awake .

@ER

Why dat?

In a nutshell, all the little ants scurrying about with their daily lives leave leave next to no imprint even within the span of only 8 hours.

I think that's the beauty of it, that what he captures there is LIFE. Life is what happens when you are scurrying about, rather than the tangible things and kodak moments. It's those inbetween moments that mean something, like sitting in the sun and watching people walk by.

This seems very strange:

Not a single red light in 8 hours on the larger overhead traffic signal?

Likewise, 8 hours of only red on the smaller ones?

Usually, these long exposure times require you to keep your finger on the button - I wonder how he got around that one?