What are you listening to right now?

7,739 posts in this topic

Oh, hoops! Then me, too! LOVE it still!!!! I am fast approaching the age where my musical tastes from that decade  (the 70s) correspond to my age!!!

Hoops: in 1970-1971, I was in Bonn and ended up sharing a pad with Mike from Birmingham,. who was 5 years older than me and could cook and stuff like that. One month, we both got paid (we worked at the same factory )...he gave me some money to go out shopping and I came back with a cassette recorder and and an Emerson, Lake and Palmer cassette!!! No food!

I was 18.

The Tarkus album!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU

Funny old world, Red!  I bought a cassette recorder in England to get ready for my world journey at the age of 20. I told my Dad I was going to South America the next day and his words were: " then take the receipt for the cassette recorder with you in case the Customs ask you."

Got up next morning,,no one at home and I left home. Got to Bonn to see if a friend was at home. No one answered the door so I left my bags at the door ( cassette recorder exposed on top ) and went across the street to use the phone. " Erich, are you there.?"

He was.

But when I got back across the road, a boy from next door had already nicked my cassette recorder. I rang their door but the mother said ´her boy wouldn´t do stuff like that.

I still remember vividly.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Cassette recorders/ players !!!!!! Mine travelled with me everywhere, every country!

gifted mix tapes were the best.  

yes, these days you can make a playlist for someone, but the sheer time investment to create a mix tape *just for that person* made it extra special.  damn.

59 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

gifted mix tapes were the best.  

yes, these days you can make a playlist for someone, but the sheer time investment to create a mix tape *just for that person* made it extra special.  damn.

I agree. 

I loved my homemade cassette tape of Reinhard Mey from my friend in Jena. I still have the tape, thought not sure if I have a cassette recorder that works to play it again.

On 22.9.2019, 14:29:18, Lavender Rain said:

My colleague and friend introduced me to Peter Bence's videos.

This gem, I aspire to play my piano this way.

Very nice :)

I also love artists who play the piano and sing! My favourite... Tori Amos!

You don't have to believe in religion to like this music.

Meh, sometimes I think people as old as I am (or older, but who's to say?) know these things. Then again, I could likely tell you less than nothing about British folk from that era.

Today had breakfast in bed with my amazing husband, my best friend of 25 years.

Looking back, this album was so instrumental in changing the direction of music.  Very underrated band Jethro Tull.

An absolute classic track with a brilliant guitar solo.

I don't know why I always listen to this song when folks are acting a fool.