Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Munich Kocherlball @ Chinese Tower

17 posts in this topic

post-16-1152692121.jpg
The Kocherlball is on again this weekend.

It's an old Munich tradition. In the 19th century, on Sunday mornings when the weather was nice, servants, cooks, errand boys, nannies etc. would meet at the Chinese Tower and go dancing. Afterwards they would go back to work.

In 1904 this Munich tradition was banned due to the “lack of morals“. There may be some doubt as to whether morals have been reinstated, but the Kocherlball has been: since 1989.

In the meantime this has become so popular that up to 12,000 people gather at the Chinese Towers in the early hours of the morning.

Only for very early birds or late night owls: The music starts at 6 am, but the best tables are gone way before 5 am.

No entry fee, beer served in the morning, an excuse to wear tracht yet again.

Organized by: Städtisches Kulturreferat Volkskultur

Lots of photos at: Kocherlball - ganz-muenchen.de

I did this a couple of years ago, and had a great time. Some SERIOUS dancing and really traditional tracht.

Best to go by 7 am, or it gets too crowded.

Plan on going again this year.

I would like to go to this - anyone else want to join me. Let me know.

Babs

A friend told me that you had to have table reservation - is this true, or if you get there early enough (by 5am as DDbug suggeted in first post) is that ok? I like going to the chinese tower as they actually have cider there (albight pricey, but they have it) and since I cant drink beer (gluten allergy (malt in the beer), will be a nice change from having to go to Irish pubs to drink :)

You don't have to make a reservation, you have to get there early though. There are reserved tables and they also come with table service and the usual to expect matching higher prices.

A friend told me that you had to have table reservation - is this true, or if you get there early enough (by 5am as DDbug suggeted in first post) is that ok?

Maybe the tables of the Chinese Tower Restaurant are reserved or a couple of tables for the organisers butit is generally first come first serve. Get there for 5, the last tables go by 6.

this makes a nightmare of my diray, I've a party the night before, Strassenfest later in Neuhausen and a gentlemen's excuse me perhaps later on. I'll never fit it all in. :rolleyes:

Last year there were many tables available at eight in the morning, but then maybe everything was over (eventhough people were dressed up and celebrating until two in the afternoon).

What a great morning. Was so much fun and am looking forward to doing it again next year :)

Took this really cute picture of a truely bayerischer Junge

post-673-1153084693.jpg