Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tips for Memphis - Tennessee

14 posts in this topic

I am going on a business trip to Memphis in some days. As I also will have some free time, I am wondering what else may be interesting to see there other than Elivs' legacy. Any recommendations? Do you know maybe where I can get hold of a City Guide for Memphis? I love modern art.

Thanks!

if you get bored in Memphis, you might consider taking a trip to Nashville. The last time I was there (~4 yrs ago) I was impressed with how they had cleaned-up and re-vitalised the downtown bar district - quite a good music scene going on there (well, at least i hope it is still going on).

Memphis would not be my city of choice in Tennessee (since I grew up in Nashville, I'm biased). Anyway, since you are stuck with Memphis, try Beale Street for an abundance of blues and jazz clubs, Graceland for Elvis (I've never been since I care not for Mr. Presley), Rendevous for great dry-rub ribs, Sun Studio (for the birthplace of Rock 'N' Roll - so they claim), a ride on the Memphis Queen (I'm pretty sure they do evening tours), visit the Peabody Hotel and see the march of the ducks(check their website for details if you don't already know what I'm talking about... www.peabodymemphis.com), hmmmmm...that's all I remember at the moment. I'm sure you will find plenty of other options if you visit their tourism site or any travel site for that matter. Though I still have to say Nashville is the best, if you have time, it's well worth the drive and I can give you plenty of insider tips having lived their for 24 years and still have family in the area.

If you go to Beale Street at night, walk down to the New Dixie Theatre. Outside of it a guy named Richard Johnston plays some fantastic music. One man band, but nothing like you've ever seen or heard before. He's so popular the theatre has a stand selling drinks outside.

woof.

I spent about 4 weeks there once. Follow ajohnson´s advice above. I used to hang out at the Flying Saucer.

Enjoy the ribs and the river.

If you have time you should watch the movie Mystery Train. As far as I remember it takes place in Memphis and it's a pretty weird but cool movie.

EDIT: Just checked and it does take place in Memphis.

Beale Street

Graceland

Rendevous

Gridley's (better than Corky's)

Sun Studio

Memphis Queen

Peabody Hotel

Mud Island

Memphis Zoo

National Civil Rights Museum

Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum

Blues City Cafe

Cozy Corner

Go out to Millington and see where I lived

http://www.hogsfly.com/ and Rendevous are the same place :)

Just thought I would add that - I didnt realize until after it was too late to edit that it had a different web address name than the actual restaurant.