Japanfest 2006 @ Japanese Teehaus - English Garden

27 posts in this topic

post-16-1151947359.jpg
Japanfest 2006 will be on 16th July from 13:00 to 18:00 at the Japanese Teehaus in the English Garden (beside the Haus der Kunst).

Performances will include singing by a Japanese women's choir, japanese drumming, and dancing by children from the Japanese Institute.

There will also be exhibitions and presentations about Bonsai, Ikebana, Japanese Swords, Manga, Anime and various other things.

Like last year there will be demonstrations of Japanese martial arts such as Aikido, Judo and Ninjitsu.

Topic about last year's fest: Japanfest 2005.

You can download an information sheet (only in German unfortunately) here (PDF, 772KB).

Id recommend to go early this year. I popped by last year around 3pm and it was mad packed, couldnt get near a lot of the booths. What I did see was really interesting and I enjoyed seeing the goth/punk german kids dressed up like japanese school girls. :D

yeah and they ran out of certain food items too.

One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons: a couple in the theater audience, she says to him:

"Just which part of Noh don't you understand?"

This was great last year!

Yeah those freaky teenies all Lolita Goth'd up!

I bumped into Sin and Papa Geno + families, that was fun too :) I can prey on willing Japanese victims whose politeness will betray them when being tortured by my 'Japanese' hahaha.

Edit: Spuds - that link doesn't work to the programme.

Is there going to be Taiko? I love Taiko! I am interested in taking a class to learn it, but haven't found one here. Does anyone know of any?

Is there going to be Taiko?

There will be a performance of japanese drums, but the programme doesn't say if it will be Taiko drumming.

The Gothic schoolgirls were awesome, so was the Jiu-Jitsu performance. I will post pics when they are downloaded.

I liked it too. But I didn't bump into anyone of you. Maybe I was expecting you to wear badges.

Yeah it was fun. The Cosplay (costume/play) wasn't as impressive this year though. I picked up a business card for a Japanese sweet shop in Munich- I didn't know one existed! I really liked how those women were calling out to you welcoming you as they do in Japan :) I really wanted to buy something so I could call out 'arigato gozaimas taaa' in that ugly Tokyo accent, but alas, it was not to be :)

Here's a nice Cosplay pic I ripped from the net:

post-750-1153128313_thumb.jpg

I picked up a business card for a Japanese sweet shop in Munich- I didn't know one existed!

That sounds interesting. Would you mind posting (or PMing) the details? Thanks!

It was hard to find something about this bakery/cafe online; they don't seem to have a website, however this Japanese site has photos of the place: Photos.

Tanpopo Konditorei und Stehcafe

(Kanako Okada-Ohm)

Erzgiessereistrasse 32

80335 Muenchen

Mon-Thurs 9.30am - 6pm

Fri 9.30am -5pm

Phone: 089 52055757

*Everything homemade

*Bakery courses on offer

*Orders possible

Near Stiglmaierplatz (between Dachauerstr and Nymphenburgerstr) or Tram 20/21.