German women and femininity

123 posts in this topic

I have converted many. It iso easy to get the colour wrong.

7 minutes ago, Tap said:

Jamie Lee Curtis, short, grey and amazing

She certainly does look amazing! And seemingly, she’s always been true to herself.

I love my short sorta curly hair. Wash, apply leave in conditioner, then mess it up with my fingers and let it dry.

I had quite long hair into my 30's. 

I am ancient and my once really thick hair is thinner but not much grey.  If it gets the chance it goes golden in the sun.  This year not so much.  My aunt had red blond hair into her late 70s.  I guess it is just genes.  I really like silver hair. 

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Envy is the real reason!

For me the real reason is that long hair incapacitates the vacuum robot.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Daughter's long hair constantly blocks the drain in the bath & the wash basin..

I put a cheap plasic sieve thingy over the plughole. Works well. Even with my short fine hair it's surprising how much comes out over a couple of washes.

3 hours ago, HEM said:

My daughter moults more than the dog!

1 hour ago, bramble said:

You can also buy an Abflusssieb, which is what I use in the bathroom.

We have one for the bath and a filter for the shower but try getting a teenager to use it.

3 hours ago, bramble said:

You can also buy an Abflusssieb, which is what I use in the bathroom.

5 hours ago, HEM said:

1 hour ago, French bean said:

My daughter moults more than the dog!

We have one for the bath and a filter for the shower but try getting a teenager to use it.

We just leave it in the bath and sink all the time. (Abflusssieb)

Unless someone takes a bath then we remove it to use the plug. Works a treat. Just remove the hair after a shower.

I can recommend this if needed

https://www.drano.de/de-de/products/drano-power-gel

Works a treat. Use it very little now we have an Abflussieb in the bath and sink. It also catches sock fuzzle which can cause blockages too.

Back on topic :)

I found it really hard to find a decent hair dresser too. Quite often they try to impose their taste upon you, what they think looks best which may not neccessarily suit you. Especially if you have bangs/a fringe.

I noticed too, that many German women do not want to wear make up, and when I spoke to them, many felt that it was because they did not see why they should make the effort to please others...:wacko::blink:

I think people should feel free to do what makes them happy and what makes them feel good. I find it sad if people think that a woman who wants to wear make up or have long hair is just doing it to please others? Seriously, some just like wearing make up or having long hair. It has nothing to do with others. Live and let live I say.

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

...they try to impose their taste upon you, what they think looks best...

I have a sneaky feeling it s more a case of giving you one of the two cuts they can (sort of) do. Sorry to sound so jaundiced but it really is a challenge to find someone who actually can cut hair. I have a lady back home, don t have to tell her anything, come out like a starlette, cut lasts months. So they do exist. But are so few and far between. I wondered if people here have learnt from YouTube. 

Anna and optimista!❤️

As a mere male accompanying Nicole to her hairdresser's ( where I get my beard trimmed and have a pedicure and manicure on the side  and STILL normally have time left over to check emails etc😂), I agree with BOTH of you!

The hairdresser Sonia ( about 50 ) and her two young assistants always want to impose what THEY think looks best on Nicole. Or what they know!

Nicole just says : " I've known my hair for 65 years!"😄

And: " NO! That is NOT what I want! I want xyz "

( I keep out of it!!)

And then it all works out- all are happy and laugh and we all hug and " jassou, Nicole, jassou, Mr John " and my wallet weighs less!😂

Greeks: animals- they make me ill in that regard.

Personal interaction: I feel so comfortable. Laid back, not so stiff as it will be back in Hamburg soon. 

Yeah, I know, generalisation. Just the way my heart flows, rightly or wrongly.

And Greeks who go to live in Germany go there to work and make a living because it isn't Greece and Germans come to Greece to retire or semi-retire because it isn't Germany.

Sort of like our situation in a way...

Disaster! The salon my hairdresser worked in has just shut down. It took a few goes to find one who understood that after a certain age one doesn't automatically want a style à la Queen/Margaret Thatcher. They'd do an okayish cut and then start backcombing .. aaarrrgh! I've been with this one for 20 years and we've worked our way through various bobs and I now sport a pixy cut, think Judi Dench, with my own silvery grey colour! 

Be yourselves, everyone!

I have an amazing hairdresser in Hamburg, for guys and gals. My hair has only been touched by him in the past 6 years. I went last week from long hair (down to the middle of my back) to a short bob - it looks amazing. If anyone in/around Hamburg is interested, PM me for his details!

On 10/2/2021, 3:43:10, RedMidge said:

Don't you hate it when hairdressers say " Oh Short hair will suit you at your age"? I stay strong  and keep it  at least past chin to shoulder.

I have  a friend whose hair is really short- she says  she cannot seem to stop them!

On 10/2/2021, 3:33:25, emkay said:

I didn’t know how best to describe hair length though I definitely don’t have a beard :D! My mother, step mother and mother in law have all told me that I should have shorter hair at my age….more decent! Why though? 

And that's exactly what I've been musing on - there seems to be some sort of cultural thing in modern Western society that woman no longer of childbearing age should cut their hair off!! (The infamous "menopause bob" :D )
It's almost as if it were a sign of "don't bother with me, I'm infertile and no longer worthy of being beautiful".

Well, this Bad Girl is gonna rock her long red hair (regardless if real or not :) ) right to the end! "More decent" my foot!!

36 minutes ago, Metall said:

And that's exactly what I've been musing on - there seems to be some sort of cultural thing in modern Western society that woman no longer of childbearing age should cut their hair off!! (The infamous "menopause bob" :D )
It's almost as if it were a sign of "don't bother with me, I'm infertile and no longer worthy of being beautiful".

Well, this Bad Girl is gonna rock her long red hair (regardless if real or not :) ) right to the end! "More decent" my foot!!

Definitely keep rocking long red hair! My cousin, a teacher, was recently hounded out of her job by a new head teacher. He generally felt that she didn’t look age appropriate and particularly her ‘blöde rote Haare‘. She is naturally red though her grey roots were coloured accordingly.  Thankfully, this awful situation turned into a blessing. She’s now changed her whole life and moved away from Germany…and, kept her lovely long red hair!