Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fantasy Filmfest 2006

23 posts in this topic

post-750-1151520065.jpg
The Fantasy Filmfest 2006 will be held on various dates throughout July and August. The exact dates are different for each city. For Munich it is 18th to 26th July.

The Fantasy Filmfest website has a list of all participating cinemas as the title of each film on offer. A programme will be uploaded onto the site soon.

In Munich, tickets go on sale for early birds on Tuesday, 4th July from 4pm-8pm at Cinema München, Nymphenburgerstrasse. The two participating cinemas are Cinema and CityKino.

Here's a direct link to the festival films.

The films this year range from South Korean to American, Danish to Japanese, Belgian to Venezuelan. Usually the films are shown in the original language with subtitles (in English IIRC), but this information will be published with the programme.

A few sequels are going to be shown this year, e.g. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Azumi 2. From the pictures on the website, it looks like there's the usual mix of film genres; horror, martial arts, fantasy, anime and sci fi as well as a film called 'Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror'!

A fan website dedicated to the Fantasy Filmfest already has reviews of some of the films as well as other information and a discussion board, albeit in German.

MÜNCHEN 18-26 July

STUTTGART 19 – 26 July

NÜRNBERG 26 July – 02 August

FRANKFURT 26 July – 02 August

KÖLN 02 – 09 August

BOCHUM 02 – 09 August

HAMBURG 09 – 16 August

BERLIN 09 – 16 August

I'll post more when info is available.

Enjoy!

The programme will be uploaded onto the website www.fantasyfilmfest.com this weekend in advance of the 'early bird' ticket sales in Munich on Tuesday (see post 1).

The programme in printed form will be available from the Munich Cinema (and I presume City) as of 7th July.

There is a season ticket but I can't find the info on the official website. Rumours are it costs around €140 but this is not definite.

More about the season ticket:

A season ticket is available to purchase, however only 60 per city are on sale, for the price of EUR 175 (not 140 as suggested before). You can order them by sending a cheque (or transfer the money) and a passport photo to the Fantasy Filmfest team (see website). A written confirmation will be sent to you, but reservations aren't possible - first come, first served.

The deadline is Friday 30th June if you want one, as long as there are some left (send a mail beforehand).

The ticket will be given out 2 hrs before the opening film.

The programmes for the first 2 cities (Munich and Stuttgart) are now online in .pdf

You might have to click on 'refresh' when you load that page so you can see the info.

More information regarding the tickets and cinemas in Munich:

CINEMA

Nymphenburgerstr. 31

Tel. 089-55 52 55

CITY

Sonnenstr. 12

Tel. 089-59 19 83

Ticket Sales

CINEMA - as of 10th July till 17th July between 6pm and 9pm. From 18th july until the end of the film festival: Box office opens 30 minutes before the start of the first film of the day.

NB See the 'early bird' ticket sales in post 1 too.

CITY - only being sold on the day of the film, not in advance; 30 mins before the start of the first film of the day which the film's being shown (i.e. same day sales only)

However: CITY tickets can be bought in advance from CINEMA (at the latest 1 day before).

Prices

Single tickets CINEMA & CITY, Mon–Fri 13:00 + 15:00 € 7,-

Nippon Classics Special € 7,-

Single tickets - CINEMA films after 5pm and on weekends € 8,50

Single tickets - CITY films after 5pm and on weekends € 8

It depends on what your tastes are. I've read through all of the film summaries today (ouch, my eyes) and have ticked 23 films which I want to watch. I'm a big Asian film fan, especially South Korean and Japanese. I

've also picked a few funny ones incl. one about teenage vampyres...

There are a couple of films with big stars in them like 'The Ice Harvest' (John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton) or 'The Night Listener' with Robin Williams, Toni Collette and Sandra Oh, or 'A Scanner Darkly' with Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr., Winona Ryder and Woody Harrelson.

There's not that much anime this year actually, but there is 1 puppet film which looks interesting; 'Disaster!' has been compared to South Park, and Motley Crue and Nicki Sixx are doing the voices for it.

What kind of films do you like watching?

I went to the FFF in 2004.  I liked Oldboy, Butterfly Effect, Kontroll, and Tale of two Sisters.  But this year I just cannot films I am interested in, maybe because I find it hard to find out about the films.  I won't be here when FFF takes place, but some recommendations would be nice anyway.

Oh, I've just noticed that there are descriptions on that website for all the films..

Yeah - click on programme, then on the film title on the right hand side. There's a tiny summary in English and a longer one in German. I have Oldboy on DVD - there are loads of Korean films this time round too, so look under the Asian films, maybe there'll be something for you.

I read a bit on that site.  I liked some films, but usually the IMDB review was not so good.  Well, I am looking forward to reading peoples reviews on f3a.net. 

BTW, do you know the asiafilmfest?  http://www.asiafilmfest.de/index2.htm (German only), they've shown some films that are to be shown at the FFF; I hope it's going to be again this year.

Old Boy is one of the few movies I can watch again and again, and there is still something new to discover.

Any idea how to tell if the subtitles are in English? Last year I went to two at the festival, only to find them in their original language with German subtitles.

Thanks

Yes; it says on the website. Click on the film title under 'Programme' on the right-hand side for the summary, and under the film title it'll say something like:

Japan 2005, ca 100 min, japanische OmeU

i.e. in Japanese with English subtitles

(Japanese Original mit englischen Untertiteln).

It tells you at the top of each film synopsis what language it is in and the subtiltles if any.

Mind you, this isn't always accurate as I went to one film which stated Original (French) with English subtitles but turned out to have German subs. Even checked again when we got home to make sure we weren't mistaken.

Just double-check when you buy the ticket in that case. Hopefully the info will be up-to-date/correct then!

Remember, the tickets are on sale for early birds NOW till 6pm. Guess where I'm off to? Bye...

Ticket for sale!

1 ticket on sale for SPL (row 12, seat 9) on Thursday, 20th July 9.30pm at Cinema, Stiglmaierplatz.

EUR 8.50 - pls PM me or post here if interested.

SHA PO LANG (SPL)

Hongkong / China 2005, ca 93 min, Cantonese / Mandarin Original with English and Chinese subtitles - European Premiere.

A most complex confrontation between cop Chan and viscious triad leader Wong Po, as well as undercover Ma Kwan and mob killer Jack leads to a glamourous showdown finish in Wilson Yip’s urban noir bloodshed thriller… The throw-back to the hey-days of HK action cinema of the late 80s opens like INTERNAL AFFAIRS, but soon heads towards the jam-packed style of Ringo Lams CITY ON FIRE.

“A terrific, brawny push to revive Hong Kong mano-a-mano fighting in a police thriller, SPL is an all-star smackdown that will get fans salivating. (...) a must-see item on screen.

The ticket is still for sale, even willing to sell it at a reduced price. The Cinema won't exchange it even though they fucked up when selling it to me (I asked for the showing on 22nd, they sold me the ticket for the 20th). They will neither exchange it for the showing on the 22nd nor refund me the money. They said 'you should have checked the ticket' - which is a load of crap since I bought 17 tickets, no way would anyone check them all. Besides, it's their job to get it right, not mine to check it. Anyway, whatever, it's only a film. EUR 8.50 or nearest offer.