Are people with tattoos stupid?

246 posts in this topic

If it's really about showing off one's unique personality via "body art', why does one seldom see a landscape, or the Mona Lisa or something artistic instead of the same old unicorns & rainbows, grim reaper/sculls, crosses, snakes, panthers and rock band imagery everyone seems to (clearly drunkenly) choose out of the same catalog the way chinese people choose the decor for take-out restaurants?

An ex of mine had the Vitruvian Man between his shoulderblades. It was stunning. I regret not taking a picture of it, actually, because it was gorgeous, shaded like the original and in the same colour red.

Dangerous epidurals aside, how does a mother of a pre-teen girl explain what her motivation was to have a Panama City License Plate scrawled across her lower back ("mommy liked to look extra slutty for Spring Break!")?

Fail.

Are people with tattoos stupid?

I was thinking about this today at the lake. Lots of tattoos to see at the lake. 9 out of 10 tats looked like the result of a stupid drunken weekend. However, that "one" obviously put thought into the body art and didn't go with the same old stupid shit and the results showed.

Before you get stupid here and attack me, just think about your neighbor's Christmas decorations. How many actually put thought into it and how many just throw up ... ?

good point. The problem for me is that the eye-searingly tasteless type of tattoos are in such a majority while those of artistic value are extremely rare. For me, a perfect skin is a quantum leap more sexy than any piercing or tattoo, even an artistic one.

The fact that all the stars are complete suggests that she's lying her ass off about waking up mid-tattoo and leaping away from the marauder with the ink gun.

Besides that, she did ask for three stars and they're in the shape of a 3 ...

Buyer's remorse, epic stupidity, not to be taken as a representative example of people with tattoos. The stupidity starts with tattooing her face. With stars. Then forgetting that all artists not working freehand trace the design onto your face and confirm it with you beforehand, and there's no way that those straight lines were done freehand. Then deciding she didn't like them after all. Then blaming the artist's inability to speak either of her languages for her own stupidity - are there no artists who do speak the same language as you? Then forgetting that he had a witness to the whole transaction.

He's stupid too for not specifying he doesn't tattoo faces. Very few people do, and he doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who requires a two week cooling off period between making the appointment and gettng the tattoo.

I think the cooling off period is a great idea, when I got mine done, I went to the place and he did a temporary tatoo exactly like the one I was getting, showed me how it worked, did an ink free test to see if the pain was ok and explained all the tatoo care to me, then gave me an appointment in two weeks.

i cant speak for everyone, but I love my tatoo, even after 12 years, it's just part of me and part of an episode of my life which is important to me. Stupid to get one, no more so than commemorative jewelery such as wedding rings, regrettable, absolutely not.

The girl above on the other hand is a numpty.

I do know some people who will tattoo faces, but you are not going to be able to just walk in off the street and have it done. Its going to involve a long cooling off period, lots of discussions, working through the designs. I very much doubt that they would tattoo someone on the face for their first tattoo. Its a big commitment (As is any ink) and you do have to think through the implications. Its telling that most people with extensive facial tattoos work in the body art industry.

My tattoos are a guide to who I am. I've got everything from a small cross on my wrist to a full backpiece that cost me the best part of £500. They're all different quality, different times, different motivations. If I was choosing now would I have those pieces done? Not neccessarily. Do I regret them? Not a bit. They make me who I am. People often say "Wont you regret them? You can't change them." But the permanence is the attraction rather than a negative feature. We all change and age but those tattoos will be with me till I die. I can cut my hair, I can put on a suit, and get a respectable job but I will still have this complex and artistic biography of who I am and where I've been.

It might help that about 70% of the people I know (Over a wide range of social backgrounds and professions) have tattoos, so it doesn't seem as unusual to me.

I have avoided getting a tattoo after seeing all of the old people in FL with tattoos... Not only do tattoos fade but when you get old your skin starts to sag... so then you have a tattoo that is not only faded but sagging... I have enough stuff to maintain without adding tattoo recolouring

I saw a woman yesterday with a beautiful tattoo on her upper arm and I don't think it will go out of style although it will fade and get saggy... she is going to have to keep getting it injected with ink to keep it looking beautiful

when you are old, you are not sexy anymore anyway - so why bother thinking about that???

i find tattoo´s (good ones, professional done) very attractive - on male or female!

and jobwise -> we are not living in the middle ages!

i know people with different jobs (office work, interior designer, it, social work/teacher) who have no problems with finding work - AND they are very intelligent! :rolleyes:

when you are old, you are not sexy anymore anyway

So what you are trying to say is that if you lhave a face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle then who cares? :P

...there's no way that those straight lines were done freehand...

Perhaps he just tattooed over her zits.

So what you are trying to say is that if you lhave a face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle then who cares?

yep! :D

and when you are young and gorgeous, you can look as smart as mr. kiedis or mr. rollins! :P

post-949-1245336236.jpg

post-949-1245336176.jpg

I knew a beautiful mid-west blonde at college named Susan. Seriously, she was beautiful literally from head to toe...meaning even her feet were cute. But, not the brightest bulb. She got the idea to get a black widow tattooed around one of her toes. The artist did a good job, I'd thought.

Well, one day at a party, another one of my friends named Sam (who's a master at perception of odd things) kept staring at Susan's foot. After noticing this, Susan got insecure and asked why Sam was staring at her feet. Even I had thought Sam might have had a slight fetish by the way he was looking at them. He stammered at first but then finally told her the reason:

"See the red symbol in the middle of the spider?"

"Yeah. It's a Black Widow. They all have that."

"Well...it's not on their backs like the tattoo makes it look like. It's actually on their bellies."

"So?"

"So your tattoo makes it look like the spider got crushed in between your toes and died belly up."

Needless to say, Susan was pissed. The moral of this story is, if you're going to get something permanent on your body, know WTH you're putting there.

Could of just said it was an Aussie Black Widow...

post-10663-1245337078.jpg

I've got to say that after watching a fair few episodes of 'Miami Ink' and whatever other Tattoo Parlour reality TV shows, my attitudes to tattooes has softened, and I wouldn't mind getting one. (Or maybe I'm just incredibly susceptible to bad TV and a few tear-jerking stories).

It's basically what hermannyorks described - if one has suffered a great trial or gone through a very extreme experience, I think there's something great in getting a well-placed, thought-out piece of body art to mark your physical self in a reflection of something that has marked you as a person. Does that make sense?

I always find it amusing that so many people who have tattoos spend so much time trying to cover them up after the event. Surely the whole point is to let everyone know you have it no?

I mean, you have it done because you like it. You also by clothes and shit because you like them (well, birds do anyway) and you do not try your hardest to hide those away from view.

I always find it amusing that so many people who have tattoos spend so much time trying to cover them up after the event. Surely the whole point is to let everyone know you have it no?

Some don't. I know I don't. But I also know that there is a time and a place. Someone might buy a very expensive figure hugging dress that they love, but it wouldn't be appropriate for a board meeting. In the same way I love my tattoos, but know if I'm in a meeting with my projects stakeholders its politic to cover them up.

Someone might buy a very expensive figure hugging dress that they love, but it wouldn't be appropriate for a board meeting.

Blimey. I want to attend your board meetings. The ones I have attending have not had anyone attending who I would want to see in such attire

I love my tattoo, my little bird, 15 years later, still loving it!

Still contemplating getting a small maple leaf on my left foot. Just been looking for the right leaf design (i want it sort of artsy).

Am I stupid, maybe in somethings, but I have thought about this a long time and can live with the consequences.

The most interesting people are those who dare to live the life less ordinary, right?. The most interesting people don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks, they just do their thing. When I am frail and old and my meals are mushy, I should think it a delightful blessing to have my wrinkly old blue-rinse bridge partner lift her floral frock, stretch back her belly rolls, and expound upon the folly of her AC/DC tattoo. Such a prospect is, to me, infinitely more appealing than sitting through some old fart's necktie collection show and tell.

Not to say that people with tattoos are more interesting than those who would never get one for fear of... There are stupid people everywhere. The world is rife with them, and no tattoo nor suit and tie will change that.

Some people start off stupid and get smart. You know, after years of running after the big bucks, some 'white collar' folk reach an epiphany and throw it all in to wear a Dhotī, grow veges and do good deeds in their local community. Equally, some wander the earth for years, directionless and misguided, only to finally settle down to a steady job and a mortgage. There are many varieties in the stupid to smart category. Many in this category have tattoos.

But, there are also people who start off smart and get stupid. The stay on top of it, protect assets, calculated risk takers. The necktie and office affair collectors. The 'us and them' straight liners. The ones with more answers than questions, until their answers slowly send them to their big fish in small pond graves. The ordinary. The drones. None in this category have tattoos.

Are people with tattoos stupid? Quite likely. Stupidity odds are high, everywhere. But, better a tattoo and stupid than smart and nauseatingly toe the line dull.