Are people with tattoos stupid?

268 posts in this topic

A guy I used to work with was having a lot of emotional trouble dealing with his divorce and not being able to see his kids very often. His kids were too young to understand and said something along the lines of him being a bad father. So… to prove his dedication as a father, he got a huge tattoo with his kids’ names on it. When he found out that he spelled his daughter’s name wrong, it really made him feel like a bad father.

Dan

Some of pictures from Lavender Rain were ridiculous.

Thanks for saying this. Funny you say it because when I posted those pics I tried several times to spell the word ridiculous to say just that and forgot how to spell it and was too lazy to look it up.

"I'm actually a research academic. It's almost the same thing"

As a nun or a hooker???

Both, at different times, in equal measure. Pimp my research, and then cloister works in progress in case someone who publishes faster than I do sees it and fails to cite it.

I'm cringing at the guy who spelled his daughter's name wrong.

But the way I see it is that people do weird stuff to their bodies all the time. There's that subset of middle aged German ladies who all use that cheap-ass brassy red hair dye. Some people eat and drink themselves into being shaped like the Fat Controller. Some people tan till they look like crocodile skin handbags. I think they all look shit, but it's not my business to tell them so and I don't. I imagine that if many of them happened to see me from the back with my shirt off they'd find my tattoos unattractive. That's fine; I didn't put them in places that are normally hidden so the general population can see them and think how cool and edgy I am. I would just prefer it if the courtesy of keeping one's mouth shut when it comes to unsolicited out-loud judgements was reciprocal. Think what you want but shut the fuck up, is how I'd put it.

" Some people eat and drink themselves into being shaped like the Fat Controller."

Well, that'll be the Yanks then, eh? :D

Oi! I'm looking forward to the distant day when I visit the US and am hailed as slender!

I couldn't agree with llees any better.

I've got tattoos, but they are all in places which are coverable. My previous job was working for lawyers. I kept my tattoos covered all the time. They weren't covered because I was trying to "hide" them, but out of respect.

I will continue to get tattoos as they are something that I enjoy. :)

I've thought about getting one, but honestly I've never found anything I'd want on my body for the rest of my life. I think tats look cheap and low class. Thats just my opinion, to each his/her own but I'd bet that most regret that decision. I find the ones women get just above their ass really ugly but again, that's just my opinion and opinions are like assholes... everybody's got one.

On a much more funny note, a gf of mine had "Dave" tattooed in amongst a heart on her left tit and then asked me if I was going to do something similar for her, no fucking way said I. :lol:

good job not being a lemming, bluedave! People think tats are so cool and unusual... but since EVERYbody here has one, yet I don't, I guess that makes me cool and unusual. ;) I have enough freckles... who needs tats? Then again, a dot-to-dot of the freckles could be nice. :rolleyes:

Tattoos have been so popular now for so long that I noticed that I thought they were beginning to look a bit passe. I don't know if they're stupid, but I'm not a fan.

I don't want one, (any more). Guess I never found a motive that I'd want on me for the rest of my life but I'm not opposed to anyone else who thinks that they needs one or twenty.

I'll never forget one of the recruits who I went through basic training with, got his first pay packet and that same evening blew the lot on one, he was broke for the next week, and he repeated the process every week.

The best tattoo that I ever saw was a black panther climbing up this guys calf like it was a tree, the detail was amazing, and where the claws had broken the skin there was a visible wound that was bleeding. It was the only tattoo that this bloke had, and he was very proud of it.

The less tasteful tattoos of love or/and hate on knuckles or mum and dad, or even partners names look daft, regardless if home made or done by a professional tattoo artist.

As tattoos and piercings have sort of found each other and become cult(ish) or make a statement about the wearer, and the intimate piercings can be fun...

Tony

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment. I wish I could take it back or edit it but I can't so I'm making an apology to anyone who might have been insulted at my off the cuff remarks regarding tats. I'm sorry.

I have always wanted a smiley face on my big toe, so that when I am laying on that morgue table, and they check my toe tag, I will still be able to get a laugh.

Like most things in life, they look good if you're hot. If not, they just look ridiculous.

If you must draw attention to yourself, make sure you're worth looking at. :P

These days, tattoos are so commonplace that you probabaly draw more attention if you don't have one. I had always wanted a tattoo since I was a kid but I never could decide on what or where. Some 11 years ago, sitting on a train from London to Amsterdam with a bad hangover, a blue and yellow fish came and sat on my foot. When I got to Amsterdam, I looked for fish pics and found one close enough and got it stuck on there. I absolutely never look at it anymore but I don't regret it. Sometimes people will remark that I have a fish on my foot, as if I didn't know. I do not think getting the tattoo has made me any more stupid than I was before.

I've thought about getting one, but honestly I've never found anything I'd want on my body for the rest of my life. I think tats look cheap and low class. Thats just my opinion, to each his/her own but I'd bet that most regret that decision. I find the ones women get just above their ass really ugly but again, that's just my opinion and opinions are like assholes... everybody's got one.

You think they look cheap and low class but have considered getting one? I'm confused.

Like I think I said, I like all of mine, the later two more than the first. None of them was cheap, all of them were carefully planned, I'm happy with them and I'm considering another. I genuinely do not care if other people like them or not, although it often amuses me because people will tell me how much they dislike tattoos not realising I have them. Which is where my general idea of, Think what you want but shut the fuck comes into play. Not everyone shares the same aesthetic. I don't tell women who look like tanned handbags that they should buy a burqa if they intend to go outside again because it is simply none of my business. I don't see why it's acceptable not to extend that courtesy to people with tattoos.