Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

and going to a country with no money or job just sounds like fun to me

Ahhh youth. Did that stuff myself several times in my early 20's.

As a general question, that 12-15GBP per hour, is that with or without qualifications? As I need a summer job from July onwards and I live near London :D none of the agency sites seem to give info on what you need to have. any info would be brilliant!

H

@Buter Helen,

Without - there are ways to get in...for such jobs...excel, powerpoint and secretarial skills are good enough...and then dressing like a city type...

There are also DTP jobs which pay from 12 to 15 per hour inc. £24 for night and Sunday shifts which is an excellent way to live in london ...yeah work three/four shift a week and earn £24/35k (I did it when i was a student)... If you need any info about how and what - just PM me and I'll give Tips based on my experience...

For secretarial temping at around £12-£15 ph you'll need typing speed approx. 60wpm, experience with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, organisational ability for scheduling and travel, and common sense (what they never write as a requirement but probably the most important).

Word up on the water is that they are startin' a new riverbus service and a bit desparate for crews. Git yerself down Westminster Pier and ask if they need any on-board bar staff. ;)

oh I'm getting so excited! 3 more weeks and no more spoilt brats!

and I have an interveiw at allys angels when I move :) no it's not as dodgy as it sounds!

We lived in Kew for a couple of years and thought I'd add my knowledge of the area (prob not as extensive as others). Richmond has not only the German school and the bakery (get there EARLY on a saturday) but also in warm weather there's Stein's beer Garden along the river (just past Richmond bridge). On the right day it's a fantastic place.

Also, Oliver's in Kew is GREAT. A little pricey, but excellent produce and other goodies. They have this really good frozen vegetarian snitzel that mr. siggie still talks about. We also used Abel and Cole for a while for veg home delivery, which was useful but got a bit tedious after a while. Purple sprouting broccoli was a novelty the first 20 times or so.

There's a great restaurant in Kew as well called Rara. It's tibetan food, and their daal is fantastic. Oh i'm dreaming of it right now.

i am so very jealous of anyone moving there. We left to get away from high prices and long commutes, but now that I'm away I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Oh yes, and don't forget to visit Kew Gardens. It's really amazing.

Good luck!

For secretarial temping at around £12-£15 ph you'll need typing speed approx. 60wpm, experience with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, organisational ability for scheduling and travel, and common sense (what they never write as a requirement but probably the most important).

Just to add to Hams...Pretty looking also helps!!! In the City you can easily earn £25k perm as a juniour secretary and £40k if you are experienced enough or pretty enough to land a big-wig as your boss.

You should have seen it when I started doing secretarial work in 1988 before I joined the RAF and then after. I would get sourced for jobs and the first day when I turned up there would be a gulp..."a six foot black guy coming to answer my phone and do mi typing."

Luckily...after I typed their shitty letters and correspondence fast as a fly (I type 80 words per minute).and did some mean Powerpoint presentations, answered the phone in my posh English despite coming from Manchester...I was able to win them over. Even a few bosses plucked up the courage to ask me to make them a cup of coffee!!!

Those were the days...A black male secretary...I even did audio typing which I hated..but never sat on any one's lap "Shame"..

Of course you are spot on Stanford, but being a member of the Law Society, it wouldn't be the done thing my mentioning/supporting such blatent aspects of favouritism and lack of fair play when it comes to recruitment. ;)

@Hams did not know you were a lawyer...

I would have shouted out about my legal secretarial skills...including not sitting on my lawyers lap!!!

But having a big strapping man such as yourself sitting on my lap would have made the day so much more pleasant. :D

Well... word of advice: If you go to Kingston Market, and there's a fish stall, and an old lady is complaining about nothing, and this fuckin' monster of an idiot comes up, grabs a fish and swallows it raw and whole head first, and the old lady runs off screaming... don't panic, that'll just be me Uncle Gel on a wind-up. He's always doing that.

Me mum was born in the Jewish hospital at Hampton Court. Me mum's mum was a stitcher at AC Cars in Thames Ditton on the Cobra leather seat covers. Me great-grandfather used to own Town End Pier (upstream from the bridge), and if you see The Yarmouth Belle going up and down (now owned by Mickey Turk), me great-grandfather brought her for 250 quid in 1946 and steered her back from Yarmouth around the coast. Me great-grandfather, grand-father, father and uncle have all been skippers of her, another great-uncle and uncle were engineers aboard her, and me little brother used to be a hand aboard her a few years ago. I think the family used to own about 8 pubs and hotels around the area. The Gloucester Arms is gone, and now the NCP Car Park at The Bittoms. But, I think The Railway Tavern and The Great Western are still there, and The White Hart at Hampton Wick. @JE, You know The Alma Arms over by The Dittons? Is it still there?

I could go on all day.

Hey Sin, in the 80s there used to be a pub near Kingston station called the Three Fishes, or the Griffin? or something. Do you know it?

Anyway the pub was knocked down around 1989. I think the Three Fishes was a kind of unofficial name for it, deriving from the nameboard hanging outside. It was a studen rock-music hangout, used to have a weird kind of stoned out DJ who sat in the corner playing deafeningly loud rock music all night long. People went there to listen to the music (no way you could talk, you had to shout to order at the bar). I used to go there occasionally in the uni vacations (I come from down that way - Ewell & Sutton in fact).

Hi there,

Does anyone know a website where I could check flat rent prices and offers in London? :)

Thanks ! ;)

Thanks for the links! :)

Does anyone know what's the maximum percentage of one's monthly income that can be spent on paying the rent in London?? :)

Cheers! :rolleyes:

i think you mean to say: what is a typical range of the percentage of one's salary that people pay for rent in London.

I studied in London. I knew a lot of students that were living 3 or 4 together in a studio apartment. The average person I talked to was paying around 1500GPB a month for rent. I paid 1200GPB for a shitty studio and on top of that it cost me around 50GPB a WEEK in the winter to heat it. London has a ridiculously high cost of living. When people earn between 15,000 and 20,000 pounds it is impossible to live in London and get ahead. There are a lot of crappy, run down apartments (like the one I had) that are rented to new foreigners because it is so difficlut to get an apartment there. Most of the time an Estate Agent is required, and they charge about 400GPB. Then you must have an active bank account (which is another cart and pony show) and a letter from an employer and references, ect ect.

@Maelstorm

There are different markets in London for property!!!

Zone 1/2:

This market is dominated by Rich People, Students and Forreigner who are desperate to live in central London. The Rich People win! Also Zone 1/2 tends to have one or two of the richest places in the UK in it (i.e. West - Chelsea/Kennsington/Battersea/BaysWater). Renting an apartment on your own is super expensive so some of these Foreigners and student sometime opt for the scuzzy market of Bedsits/Studios £100 to £200 per week (so they can stay in these areas) ..they tend to be of low quality and expensive per square meter. But you can get to live in Chelsea if you wish! But zone1/2 also has some cheaper areas like East (Bethnal Green/Hackney), then you can still be in zone 1/2 but would pay less or getting a bigger room.

Zone 3 to 4:

If you want an easier life and better quality of apartment then you step out of Zone1/2. It is less expensive than zone1/2 and has more houses. Therefore you can get rooms in a house share for easily around (£85 to £150). The price of a single flat will be a lot less expensive than zone1/2 but still too much for the average young professional/traveller/student.

Zone 5 to 6:

This is were you money goes further but you are then away from the bright lights of London and will have a commuttee of an hour or so.

The general trick in London is that getting a place on your own is too expensive for most young professionals/students/travellers so you continue sharing (even when you are in your late 20s or early 30s) which sucks in some ways after enjoying your own apartment in Germany but on the other hand see it like the US Sitcom Friends (i.e. a way to bond with new people and get to know different cultures close at hand).

So my advice is do you research and don't believe the hype about London being rediculously expensive - it's not a city but a collection of villages with different profiles. The trick is to find the village that suits your price range and style...

Good Luck