Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

damn right to the expensive thing! Everything is more expensive in London. As a lot of people have pointed out already. As a student I wouldn't choose London, however there are loads of really cool cities in the UK which have just as much to offer, such as Manchester or even somewhere where you could get seasonal work? say in the summer head off to Cornwall? depends on how long you are staying.

Will you have a working visa to travel? how does that work?

Noo! You don't ever wanna live in cornwall, my friend from uni lives there. He says theres nothing to do and everything is too far apart. The Penzance police station is apparently open 9-5 :lol:

@gemini,

Want some really, really bad news?

Sin is a Kingstonian, and there are tons and tons of Sin relatives all over Kingston, Surbition, Teddington, Hampton, Hampton Wick, Richmond, Hampton Court, Thames Ditton, Chessington, Tolworth, Worcester Park, New Malden, Etc., Etc., Etc.

If you smell Marmite, be very, very afraid. ;)

Seriously though, if you ever get a chance, pop down to Tough's Boatyard and let me know if Doug and Gwen Tough are still alive. Tell them the eldest grandson of Dunkirk Harry sent you. They'll know what you're talking about. Also, get over to Kingston Market and drink in the roughest waterman's pub, The Druids Head. It has the oldest wooden spiral staircase in the UK, and used to be owned by my great-grandfather and then by my great-aunt. Fabulous place. My grandfather's ghost is said to haunt it. Blimey! There are probably a zillion things I could turn you on to around Kingston, especially if you like mucking about on the water.

London is a *fab* place, I loved living there.

it's not cheap, but I don't think that Dublin is much cheaper these days, is it?

anyway, if you're short of cash you could try Leeds - it's the new Manchester, or so i'm told

or Bristol, mebbe

You have picked a pretty good area Gemini. That is pretty much my old patch. I went to school in Hampton, and lived in the area until 3 years ago if you want any insider tips!

Sin is not 100% correct. Kingston nightlife is to be avoided at all costs - student and scumbags basically. But I do miss WagaMamas in Kingston for cheap fast Japanese.

Hardly bad news...You are one of the reasons I enjoy TT, so I guess I made a good choice in where I am living. I will be surrounded by Sinners ;)

We are 5 min. walk off the footbridge in Teddington.

Really liked the areas around Kingston, but not so much the shopping areas of downtown and wanted to be on the West side of the Thames.

Will do the check out of the mentioned spots, and when you come to visit your relatives, would love to share a pint with you and Ms. Sin, Mr. Gemini and soon to be little Gem

I love ghosts :ph34r:

p.s. you can leave the marmite at home!

These are the pucker places on Sin's list:

Richmond

Teddington

Thames Ditton

Hampton Court

These are the grotty ones:

Chessington

Tolworth

Worcester Park

Kingston

And these are in the middle:

Surbiton

Hampton

Hampton Wick

New Malden

and of course from the blue footbridge in Teddington you can cross over to Ham - where I also used to live.

Thanks J.E. I would welcome any and all tips reagrding where to go to eat and drink and play in Teddington and the close by areas.

Really getting excited for the move.

Walked all over Ham, and there were some really nice areas, and the German ´School, which of course the hubby liked. And apparently a German backeri, butcher and Kindergarten

If you hang out in The Anglers (almost your local) then of course you get plenty of TV stars because Teddington Studios are in that road.

The modern brown wood boozer/bar in the middle of the high street (only about 5 years old so forgotten the name) is the place to hang out - you will figure out which one first time you walk past at the weekend.

German bakery is good, and of course also a mini-meeting-centre for meeting other squareheads, but located in the grimmest part of town. Teddington has an excellent selection of curry houses as well.

Nice to hear that I'm supposedly "IN".

First, Dublin is now expensive (so I hear from my Irish friends)

Second, as for places to live...it is more about what you want..…..

London is a collection of tribes and villages where the ultimate style tribes via for coolness...the fun of London is working out which style tribe floats your boat.

Do you want to be walking distance or a cheap cab ride away from the cool pubs and bars around Hoxton. Hanging out with the 20 something graduates and media students….drinking beer in Hoxton square on a lovely summers day whilst showing of your new cool skinny jeans….. If so consider south Hackney or Bethnal Green areas.

Or do you want clubs and bars with a urban edge that spills over to a menacing mix of cultural delights (inc. a chance to be mugged)…..fcuk what did I write there….well anyhow if so consider Brixton…..the place where Speed garage and jungle use to be king……

If you like cheese on a night out …..or to hang out with 20 something students and graduate who miss the Student University bar….yeah the bar where music has to be in the Charts – in particular the Top 40 for it to be considered worthy of a visit to the dance floor… Music that is to drink to, to sing to, to snog too…then Clapham junction and that area is your thang….. yeah back to the days of counting how many guys or girls you can snog in one night!!!1

If you consider yourself ultra-trendy….with a cultural mix…then head down to Nottinghill gate….there you will meet your Jemmies and James hanging out in some ethnic pub…drinking away daddy’s trust fund…..Yeah the group that do not shorten their names….it’s Alexander not Alex…William not Bill…..or even Will...

Urban Hip - if not Urban hip wannabes...…Mind you there will be a few Winstons and Sharmas as well since Nottinghill is a heady mix of class and coolness……

Camden is your grunge ball….It even has a rock pub/club too boot (so if you like goth and dark eye liner defo put it into the mix). The place where a market excels on selling second hand pap/clothes to the masses. Do watch out for the drunks hanging around the Train station….they love to ask for money - so they can buy “Food

Hardly bad news...You are one of the reasons I enjoy TT, so I guess I made a good choice in where I am living. I will be surrounded by Sinners

Well... word of advice: If you go to Kingston Market, and there's a fish stall, and an old lady is complaining about nothing, and this fuckin' monster of an idiot comes up, grabs a fish and swallows it raw and whole head first, and the old lady runs off screaming... don't panic, that'll just be me Uncle Gel on a wind-up. He's always doing that. ;)

Me mum was born in the Jewish hospital at Hampton Court. Me mum's mum was a stitcher at AC Cars in Thames Ditton on the Cobra leather seat covers. Me great-grandfather used to own Town End Pier (upstream from the bridge), and if you see The Yarmouth Belle going up and down (now owned by Mickey Turk), me great-grandfather brought her for 250 quid in 1946 and steered her back from Yarmouth around the coast. Me great-grandfather, grand-father, father and uncle have all been skippers of her, another great-uncle and uncle were engineers aboard her, and me little brother used to be a hand aboard her a few years ago. I think the family used to own about 8 pubs and hotels around the area. The Gloucester Arms is gone, and now the NCP Car Park at The Bittoms. But, I think The Railway Tavern and The Great Western are still there, and The White Hart at Hampton Wick. @JE, You know The Alma Arms over by The Dittons? Is it still there?

I could go on all day.

If you hang out in The Anglers (almost your local)

Oh shit JE. Now I'm gettin' bloody 'omesick. :(

@Sin. I used to own the only estate agent in Weston Green - called Fredericks after my grandfather. So the Alma Arms was just over the road. It changed hands and was renamed MARNEYS VILLAGE INN. It also became painfully cliquey - even worse than the Jimbo/Keydeck crowd on this forum.

Walk in there and they look at you like you just shat on the floor. I went once with the in-laws, we were talking kraut, but I could hear exactly what the rude fuckers were saying in English. Tossers boozer now.

Hey Sin, when I was about 15, my mate lived round the corner from The Royal Oak so it became our regular most nights and we knew the owners of course etc. I rocked up at lunchtime once when I was 17 in my school uniform for a quick pint and a new barmaid asked if I was "over 18". I told her not to be so rude or I would report her to the boss, and to hurry up and pour my beer. Then I suddenly realised I was actually still not 18 :)

post-544-1165849727.jpg

Yea I know the Anglers...though I haven't been in yet.

See Stanford is the man in the know. Great summary of the areas.

So what does that make a 30 something Teddingtonite? I'll tell you myself...someone who spent 30 years in NYC and did the "in" scene, the "out" scene the biker bar scene in the meat packing district and most other "scenes". And who now could give a shit about my coolness factor, and just wants to enjoy a few good beers (or a half decent wine), food, friends and to not be too far from a walk in the park. My witching hour is now 1 am, and I hate waking up with a hangover.

In other words...I am throughly middle aged :lol:

Oh and even in my prime I couldn't have worn skinny jeans!

thanks for all the info! my mate wants to work somewhere in hammersmith I think but im not to fussed myself...and going to a country with no money or job just sounds like fun to me :D

@Cabbageairy,

Not sure what your back ground is but the City (Investment Banks) loves Ozzies and New Zealanders (you have a reputation of working hard...not doubt to save so you can travel around Europe on Ryan Air and Easy jet cheap flights)... Really London is the best stop over place for travellers...willing to work for a few bucks before going off travelling...

For temp work and you can earn easily £12 to £15 per hour doing admin types jobs (inc. Secretarial work)...so give it a thought that is if you don't mind working with city types and wearing business gear...(I do love a chick/girl/lady/women in a business gear!!!)...

London is one of the easiest place to find work...join a few agencies...pick up some of the Ozzie free magazines..check out your local restaurants or pubs...and off you go...

There is no "scene" in Teddington - unless perhaps you join the local amateur dramatics society.

Not sure if Rick Parfitt still lives just by The Anglers?

There is no "scene" in Teddington - unless perhaps you join the local amateur dramatics society.

Of course there are sports in Teddington: Rowing. Kayaking. Drowning.