Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

OK, just looked up where Frimley actually is. If you want a nice, historical, classy town (and there are precious few of those in Britain), an hour from London, 45 minutes from Frimley and 20 minutes to the sea, you need to go live in Winchester. Lovely place.

STB - Thanks so much for the info. I will look into Winchester.

My husband will be commuting TO Frimley, and I will most likely be commuting INTO London for work/courses/arts. I would happily do an hour if we found the right area to live in.

Somewhere around Richmond might make more sense as it's between Frimley and central London, but well, Winchester's still really nice! Nice countryside close by as well for walking and cycling.

sorry your having to go and live in or near to london. good luck

I worked in the West End for 2 years.

We Moved out from where I worked and the first property we could afford in a reasonable area we bought.

It was the best thing we ever did. I had very little traveling. There are more green areas in London than any other proper city in the world. The bars, Restaurants, theatres and music are the Best in the world.

When we came to move we made so much money on the sale it set us up for the future.

If you are renting I would live as near to work as you can afford.

Its very busy and crowded and 2 years was about right for us, but boy did we have a great time.

I would do it if you can.

sorry your having to go and live in or near to london. good luck

Well it is by choice :) We are still young enough to want to explore different parts of the world, before we settle down more permantly. A 3 year stint in the U.K. will hopefully be fascinating and fun.

hutcho I stand by what I said namely "on 55k you will be a bit more comfortable but by no means the king of mambo." what that means is: looking in from the outside 55k sterling looks like loadsamoney. in London it is not.

a one-bed in sw1 will set you back between 250 and 300 a week plus council tax 55 a month. that is 40% to half of your 3k gone

then comes transport at 18.50 a week. bills 100 a month. couple of mobile calls, couple of pints. couple of meals out at never under 30quid a pop, and floops. all gone...

and then if you add my coke habit of course...

Think you got your Council tax figure wrong, will be looking at 75 a month, and do agree he will only be a bit comfortable. Hope you don't get a place where you have to pay ground rent and Service charge on top of your Council tax as well, and then you got Gas, Water and electricity bills to pay as well which tend to be high. :angry:

The bars, Restaurants, theatres and music are the Best in the world.

You're forgetting New York.

The Lakeside Country Club in Frimley Green is where they hold the Darts championship each New year. If you get any corporate seats take them up, it's a blast!

hum darts :huh: I would have never put that on my list of must see activities, but hell I am up for most new experiences. I am already secretly fascinated by watching snooker and the broom and ice game whose name escapes me now.

Anyone with info about cities/towns surrounding the Richmond area and down towards Frimley, you imput would be most appreciated...we leave to look in 24 hours!

I am from NYC...I will let you all know in a year or so. ;)

Actually, I am to old and disinterested in the "club" scene, and far more interested in the arts, history, culture and good food...quite different than my interests in my 20's, so guess I would not be a good judge in that respect.

I have never been to New York and I say London is better. :P

But seriously, London has one vital ingredient that is very important to me that NY doesn't have: History. As in "Charles Dickens used to sit in this pub" (Lamb & Flag, Covent Garden).

JN

I've lived in both London and New York and I stand by what I said. :)

hum darts I would have never put that on my list of must see activities, but hell I am up for most new experiences. I am already secretly fascinated by watching snooker and the broom and ice game whose name escapes me now.

Anyone with info about cities/towns surrounding the Richmond area and down towards Frimley, you imput would be most appreciated...we leave to look in 24 hours!

darts is great to watch. check out BBC1 over new years!

Guildford is a decent place to live and quite a few friends have moved there out of London when buying their first home - good transport connections and quite a nice city in all. That'd be my recommendation down that way.

Richmond is lovely but expensive, Kingston upon Thames is nice with decent shopping. Surbition is underrated and good value. Walton upon Thames is alright as is Thames Ditton. Hampton is also nice, but quite expensive I think.

Chertsey is a dump. Aldershot is a garrison town.

Weybridge is one of the richest towns in the UK along with the likes of Sunningdale and Virginia Water.

Good luck!

What's Stoke Newington like? I'm moving there in September, was told it was "real" London and full of Hasidic Jews (don't really see how black clothed Jewish men make London real, but rock on), is all of east London slightly dodgy or just the Phil Mitchell-like part?

More Turks than Jews, the Jews live in the Stamford Hill area which is not far from Stoke Newington. watch out for the Kurds and Turks fights.

I am from NYC...I will let you all know in a year or so.

Actually, I am to old and disinterested in the "club" scene, and far more interested in the arts, history, culture and good food...quite different than my interests in my 20's, so guess I would not be a good judge in that respect.

There's a poetry and Arts night once a month in Stratford, can't remember the name of the place right now.

Having lived in Richmond I would definitely make that my choice in the area. That said, Richmond upon Thames is the most expensive borough in London, so you get what you pay for, and don't expect it to be cheap. The beauty of the area, and the village atmosphere, make up for the excruciating pain in your wallet, especially the closeness of Richmond Park.

A good point from a transport perspective are that Richmond station is at the end of the district line, so you will always be guaranteed a seat during rush hour (oh the joys of a seat), and also that you have the faster option of catching express national rail trains directly to Waterloo.

Was never a big fan of Kingston apart from the shopping, otherwise it felt characterless and a bit rough around the edges.

Kew or St. Margarets are probably worth a look also, if you have decided that the Richmond style is your bag.

Richmond is also home to many expat Germans: the "Deutsche Schule London" is there and so Richmond attracts its fair share of German banker-types who choose it for a base on their London posting if they move their family with them.