Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

@Jimbo

I might agree with you on the household income, if you have someone else to support but he was talking about his salary alone being 40-55k.. that is a pretty reasonable salary really..

@K1w1

I like Stoke Newington. Some friends of mine used to live there so was often out and about in the neck of the woods. If the Yucatan Pub (121 Stoke Newington Road) is still there then that was always great for a lock in. Often there until 3am. Couple of really good kebab shops there and a corner shop over the road that is open and sells beer 24 hours a day.

There are also some really nice pubs and restaurants up on Church Street (think that's the name of the road). All in all a good area. Occasional nutters and a few fights here and there but can always be avoided. It's a case of aggro attracts aggro. Stay mellow and no problemss.

As far as I know they still have the Stoke Newington festival at Clissold Park and all round Stoke Newington. Always used to be a good laugh.

Oh and avoid Clapton - it's evil.

hutcho I stand by what I said namely "on 55k you will be a bit more comfortable but by no means the king of mambo." what that means is: looking in from the outside 55k sterling looks like loadsamoney. in London it is not.

a one-bed in sw1 will set you back between 250 and 300 a week plus council tax 55 a month. that is 40% to half of your 3k gone

then comes transport at 18.50 a week. bills 100 a month. couple of mobile calls, couple of pints. couple of meals out at never under 30quid a pop, and floops. all gone...

and then if you add my coke habit of course...

Picking up on this topic, if I were to compare a London salary to my own, I would (according to this thread)

1) convert it to €€s

2) divide by 1.5 for the cost-of-living difference

So let's say that the London salary that I want to compare to my own is £55,000. £55,00 is approx. €80,000. Then €80,000/1.5 is approx €53,000.

Did I get that right? I know that the taxes are also a bit different, but I'm not sure by what percentage I should bump the € salary up by. Any ideas?

if you earn 55k yoyos here, you would want to earn about 55k ye olde engerlish pounds in london to be able to maintain the same lifestyle.

hope that helps.

"no one can save money in London if they make less than 60,000."

Or spend half their lives commuting. Hence the rather busy trains.

Well actually it's cause my company was advertising for a position similar to mine, but located in London instead of Munich. I'm trying to compare the advertised wage to my wage, to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Of course I can't compare the wage directly because of the currency and the cost-of-living adjustment.

Hello everybody!

Having finished university in July I am now sunny_me M.A. :) and a new stage in my life will begin! After careful consideration I have made a decision about what to do– and believe me it has been a very hard decision –I will leave this perfect life here in Munich behind and move to a city where I don’t really know anybody but which I truly love – London!!!

I hope to find a decent job there and a nice safe (!) place to live! I am aware of the fact that the cost of living will be a lot higher and I will probably have to struggle - at least in the beginning as I don’t expect my entry salary being very high – but I will give it a go!

I have read up on all the London related threads here on TT and of course done a lot of research on the net but I would still be happy about any recommendations about how to make it a good start over there. So any tips about how (and where!!!) to best find a room (nice, safe location, reasonably priced haha), a job (I would like to start my career in Public Affairs (Political consultancies), etc. will be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Topics merged by admin

I think the 'where to live in London' question has been done to death - certainly in the last six months. I would look at what people say on those threads for that.

Regarding political lobbying have a look at the Association of Professional Political Consultants. They are the trade body of lobbyists and political consultants in the UK.

thanks for the link! I know the site, and it's a very helpful one indeed.

what about "how to best find a room" - I suppose I just need to look at websites like the gumtree etc.?!

what about "how to best find a room" - I suppose I just need to look at websites like the gumtree etc.?!

With the gumtree you'll be likely to end living with our friends from the Antipodes or South Africa. Not necessarily a bad thing, but be aware!

Also check out Loot which is the main place for rental flats and share flats to be listed.

As Lassie says, the gumtree and Loot are great sources...probably the best if you are looking for a flat share.

I would highly recommend trying to get a job in Westminster if you have never worked there. A bit of experience in an MP's office would certainly help you get a job in lobbying or political consulting. Check out this link: http://www.w4mp.org/. You can find MP jobs as well as think tank type jobs. Forewarning- the pay in the HOC is pretty shit compared to living expenses in London, but it is possible to work a pub job and/or stick it out for 6 months so you can move on to something bigger and better.

I noticed there is an opening in Andrew Mitchell's office. I actually interviewed with him. He was very nice and according a friend who used to work in his office, he is great to work for.

Also stumbled across this: http://www.capitaras.co.uk/JobSearch/Engin...xact&client=HOC

The Civil Service is also a great opportunity but I've heard it can be difficult to get a foot depending on your educational background.

Good luck!

[good advice]

The Civil Service is also a great opportunity but I've heard it can be difficult to get a foot depending on your educational background.

The civil service is so PC it is unbelievable - all they care about is what your education is, experience and can you do the job. Where you went to school, uni etc matters no longer. It's all about quality.

Another place to look might be the German embassy - I've met the ex-ambassador (Matusek) a couple of times and seemed like a nice chap I'm sure his successor is alright too - would be interesting work if there are any rolls going German Embassy

microbar on lavender hill in clapham if you need bavarian beer/helles/weissbier...

I'm from London origally but have moved about a bit so here my 2p worth as i see its not been covered yet

when looking for a place the best place to find cheap places to rent is Loot newspaper ( www.loot.com )

the post codes in London in general start from the middle and work there way out except for the EC1-4s which is the city

postcodes with a few fuck up in between like SE2 is way out in the middle of nowhere and W3 W5 being way out west

the postcodes closer to the city and W1 will be more pricey to live in but you will be close to where the work is

also when phoning for a place to rent if the phone number starts with 0207 number chances are that the place will be with in the north/south circular road area

the north south circular road is the inner ring that makes up a sort of border which divides inner London with the suburbs

i hope this may help you with moving to London any more help you need just PM me

Oh yeh, and don't go south of the river, that is a rule I alway stuck by since actually going south of the river

Oh no, we need to go south of the river :o

I have just finished reading the thread and all the advice. I had previously posted that we were moving to the Windsor area, but now the office is being moved to Frimley, down the M3. All the reasearch I did is now moot, and we leave in 2 days to look at neighborhoods.

I am a native NYer, so not overwhelmed by big cities. I am 38, married and preggers and both professionals. I have read everything about Richmond, which sounds like it fits our needs, and that will be our starting point from which we go South from.

So My question is how far south can we go, and still get into London within 45 min? What towns as you go south have any "city" feel. I don't mind a small city feel after 6 years in Munich, but I do not want to feel like a suburbanite :rolleyes:

We were looking at the areas around Kingston upon Thames, CHERTSEY; sUNBURY; TWICKENHAM; ETC.

I really appreciate any advice. Jumbo your advice has been really helpful in the past.

Cheers,

Gemini

So My question is how far south can we go, and still get into London within 45 min?

Pretty much all the way to the coast; even Brighton is only an hour from London. Use the rail enquiries to check travel times. But are you trying to get to London or to Frimley?