Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

@JohnnyD,

That was what I was going to write that my wife and her mother (she lives in Berlin) mention the tube or travelling around...the anti-social looking types that are too many in number. It maybe them being snobby but that's what I hear.

What I was meaning is the I do not agree with the thought that one will not go near the East because there are "different" looking folk there. I was stating from my experiecne and trying to say that I feel very comfortable living in Berlin and in East berlin at that. I feel much safer here than in any Uk city I have lived in and that includes London.

Off course there are no go areas in Berlin, equally in any large metropolis (or small even too...) and yeah I agree there are more skins in berlin, but also a much larger population, my point was that skins are not only assigned to the old East.

Overall in my opinion I find London less safe than any german city I have visited or lived in.

I come from London but have been living in Germany for six months. Trust me, London is horribly expensive - I would say overall it is 30% more expensive than Germany. Accommodation is very expensive and so is food shopping and eating out. Some things are more expensive here like eletricity/gas etc., but overall Germany is 30% cheaper than the U.K., particuarly London. Public transport is also very expensive in London.

Don't want to be too negative, but feel I should tell you that Brits expect long working hours without paid overtime.

For me, the quality of life is far superior in Germany. Also the trains work here, they don't in London!!

Hope the above helps.

Has anyone used a motorcycle or scooter extensively within London? Is it feasible both for going to work and other errands? Is parking strictly enforced, or can you pretty much park your bike anywhere? Thanks.

My Husband had one when we lived there. It helped a lot as London traffic is notoriously bad during peak hours . Make sure you lock it up, his was stolen from outside our house. If you park in London you must adhere closely to the parking regs, Fines are high for parking infringements. It's also much cheaper in petrol costs than running a car and public transport.