Life in London and tips for moving there

266 posts in this topic

@Jimbo

That is true if you are male, tall and tough looking and not considered an easy target then you will see less bother - I myself dont have any problems but I find the level of violence there an eye opener when I go back and visit.

I never saw anchor bolts for chaining your bike up outside your house or in your garage advertised in Germany. In the UK they seem to sell like hot cakes.

Did you notice here the offices dont even have alarm systems. When I worked in Canada one office had its doors crowbarred off the hinges and the computers stolen and thats with an alarm and bars on the window.

It is different over here.

its likely different in Bavaria to Berlin though too

Did you notice here the offices dont even have alarm systems

ours has

Did you notice here the offices dont even have alarm systems. When I worked in Canada one office had its doors crowbarred off the hinges and the computers stolen and thats with an alarm and bars on the window.

Canadians will eat anything though.

The exception is for KTM motorbikes. No-one nicks them even in the UK 'cos they know that the owners are such rock solid 'kin hard badboys that if they get caught their testicles will be Pâté.

Oi! I resemble that remark. Careful Jimbo, I might have to sick my daughter on you if you keep that up. Literally.

Last time I visited London I read a story of a fight between teenage kids outside my old school. Fair enough when I went there fights where not uncommon and a good laugh may I add. The only difference with this fight was that one of the kids put an axe into the skull of the other kid. The kid died obviously.

Oi! I resemble that remark. Careful Jimbo, I might have to sick my daughter on you if you keep that up. Literally.

I'll call the Embassy and say I gave that signature under duress and she'll become a nationless child, destined to wander from border to border and never find a home.

I have to say though, whilst I accept the assertions that London is not as safe as Munich (and few cities in Europe are), I have only once been the victim of crime in London, after I stupidly continued to park a GTi in a car park in North London that I knew had a problem with stereos being nicked. Unsurprisingly mine got nicked. Beyond that I've never had a problem, and whilst, statistically, I'm more likely to in London than in Munich, painting this town as though everybody should live in fear of crime, any kind of crime, simply isn't correct. Only one person I know has been burgled (having left a downstairs window open overnight by mistake). My Dad's BMW got broken into (in the same car park as my GTi), and that's about it. Probably wouldn't have happened in Munich, but I don't quite feel the need to carry a pistol with me just yet.

Ok Jimbo, so apart from a personal friend being burgled, your car being burgled and your Dad's car being burgled - you have never heard of any crime in London?

I think the difference between London and Munich is this: in London, you're considered fortunate if you've been burgled only once. In Munich, it is considered unfortunate to be burgled.

Ok Jimbo, so apart from a personal friend being burgled, your car being burgled and your Dad's car being burgled - you have never heard of any crime in London?

28 years, 2 minor crimes, one on a medium scale. Quick - phone Holmes of the Yard.

my wife always says that there are too many abgefuckter leute "fucked up people" in Berlin considering that you like London, some would say that Berlin is the nearest to a London like city that Germany has!!!???

Berlin isn't Germany just as much London isn't the UK.

As usual I agree with you Stanford...

I have heard from numerous people that Berlin is not exactly the best place in Germany, therefore it doesn't represent the whole of the country but as it is the only place in Germany I know I'm using it as a reference.

London is not short of weirdos, but in London I feel I 'get' the people, I know the culture, I know how most people react, I can sense danger much more easily that I could ever do here.

Is like when you are in your own neighbourhood, you feel at ease 'cause you know everyone and know where to go or not.

I don't 'get' German culture/people so it is a lot harder to read the intentions of people, especially when they all stare at you wherever you go, young or old, you can never tell.

If I got stared at in London I would know it was time to run but it never happened.

Berlin is not a city I'm familiar with, but even my husband, a semi-Berliner finds that there are too many mental people out and about and if you are near the East you could find yourself cornered by a group of skinheads so I feel definitely safer in London but there's parts of it I wouldn't venture into... :unsure:

Berlin is not a city I'm familiar with, but even my husband, a semi-Berliner finds that there are too many mental people out and about and if you are near the East you could find yourself cornered by a group of skinheads :

after 5 years never seen it and i lived there in the old east part. of course there are skin heads, but equally there are skinheads in the West and even Munich too...

Mental people in Berlin?, in my opinion people are mistaking an open attitude for mental or "fucked up". my 2 cent worth...

I understand the natural response to want to defend what you know or where you live. But if someone says there are skinheards in East Berlin most people here will understand that it is part and parcel of some of the problems in the former old East Germany - But to then hit back with eh yeah but there is skinheads in Munich as well...is a little disingenious (the issue is degree and numbers!!!).

Also, the social problems of Berlin are well documented...I'm not even German but have followed the debates (in the German press) about no-goer areas in Berlin and the problem Schools. No one wants to over exaggerate but whilst London has similar issues it is also a very wealth city unfortunately many of the social problems of Berlin are not balanced out with High Employment and High Income Workers flocking to the city...

PS. there are a lot of fucked up people in London - fortunately or unfortunately Capital cities and/or Big Cities have a habit of attracting all sorts...!!! This may included open minded people but also "fucked-up" people as well...

I was on a UBahn platform in Centrum Berlin in 1996. I always keep my eyes and ears open for anything and I noticed two youths just behind us not to far away casing my wife's hand bag. They talked amongst themselves and had obviously made a decision to go for it and started to run fast towards us. I noticed this and took my wife's bag quick. The youths stopped in the tracks and walked away dejected. That and some bottle throwing after a football game at the Olympic stadium was the only bad stuff that I experieced there. No - the bottle throwing was not me.