U.S. passport renewal/extension in Munich

116 posts in this topic

Question about the Printing paper. 

Embassy requested US Letter size paper for all documents.

IS it really necessary to print everything out in Letter size instead of A4?

Hi everyone!  I'm looking for clarification:

After renewing our US passport, what steps do we need to take if we're on the blue card and have an electronic residence card?

Do we need to follow-up with the German government to get a new electronic residence card with the updated passport number, or anything else?

Thanks for the information!

22 minutes ago, Noelle Johnson said:

Hi everyone!  I'm looking for clarification:

After renewing our US passport, what steps do we need to take if we're on the blue card and have an electronic residence card?

Do we need to follow-up with the German government to get a new electronic residence card with the updated passport number, or anything else?

Thanks for the information!

I have a Niederlassungserlaubnis, issued in 2019.  My passport is due to expire next year.  Because of this, my NE has an expiration date, which is the same date that my passport expires.

I was explicitly told by my local ABH that next year I must bring my renewed passport to them so they can reissue the NE with the new passport number and data.

Because of Biden, it looks like Americans will be able to renew passports online. I'm not sure about expats but at least he is trying to make life easier for many.

Travelers looking to renew their passports may soon be able to do so online after President Joe Biden signed an executive order requiring the government to design a new digital system.

The order, which Biden signed on Monday, mandates that the secretary of state "design and deliver a new online passport renewal experience that does not require any physical documents to be mailed."

The new order is expected to take six to 12 months to implement, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during a briefing on Monday.

Biden is "a firm believer we can always make government work more effectively and efficiently. Technology is a way to do that in many ways — to make it easier, simpler, more accessible for people — whether they're seniors who are trying to get their Social Security benefits or people just applying to renew their passport," Psaki said.

here

On 15.12.2021, 12:46:35, fraufruit said:

Because of Biden, it looks like Americans will be able to renew passports online. I'm not sure about expats but at least he is trying to make life easier for many.

here

would be nice to not have to send the old passport around with regular mail! For me personally this new plan will come too late. Maybe ten years from now, when my passport is due for renewal again.

I was really hoping to be able to drop my application off at the Munich Consulate, like we used to before COVID-19. No such luck. Unless you have a very special circumstance of some kind (which would allow you to make an in-person appointment) you have to mail the paperwork, and your old passport, to Frankfurt.

Statistically speaking, 2% of all mail worldwide gets lost every day - never to be found again. So, I'm a bit worried.

They say it takes 5-6 weeks for processing. We'll see how COVID-19 affects that timeframe.

Mine expires in 5 years. One can hope the whole covid mess will be over by then.

I need to get some papers notarized at the Consulate. No chance now.

On 6.1.2022, 13:16:51, karin_brenig said:

They say it takes 5-6 weeks for processing. We'll see how COVID-19 affects that timeframe.

well, I was really surprised when the DHL express delivery came today (!) with my shiny new passport.

Took them only 3 weeks. I'll take that :)

8 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

well, I was really surprised when the DHL express delivery came today (!) with my shiny new passport.

Took them only 3 weeks. I'll take that :)

And you got the new version passport?

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

What’s the new version?  Mine is from 2015 and is biometric.  Is there something newer?

58 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Passports Are Getting a New Look! Meet the Next Generation Passport (swiftpassportservices.com)

These are being issued now (since last year), but were already 5 years overdue :). And, yup, they're even uglier.

Your link to "Rob" (Fisherman and keen SCUBA diver) shows the US Passport valid for 5 yrs....

Rob's link to the travel.state.gov website shows a 10 yrs passport.

Just curious (as a non US-ler)... which is it ?

(and no...I wouldn't trust a guy to publish official info as to how he prints new passports to go on

and explain his hobbies. 

But maybe thats just me

:unsure:

On 27.1.2022, 21:30:19, kaffeemitmilch said:

no, I got the "old" version - looks like the one I got 10 years ago, just has more pages (even though I didn't request that).

I think they're trying to use up all these "old" passport books before they actually hand out "new" ones.

You can send your passport renewal by mail either with Deutsche Post Einschreiben Einwurf or DHL ExpressEasy. I would advise anyone thinking about this to NOT use Einschreiben Einwurf as they lost my passport and have advised me it will take more than a month before I can even get a loss confirmation so I can apply for a new one. It's a nightmare, as the Jugendamt is trying to remove my kid from the school system because my passport expires in June.

EDIT: Although the post says the letter wasn't delivered, the embassy wrote to tell me it actually was delivered. In any case not a good method to send given the importance of delivery.

45 minutes ago, mainzigartig said:

It's a nightmare, as the Jugendamt is trying to remove my kid from the school system because my passport expires in June.

This obsession with documentation without any room for understanding is absolutely infuriating.