U.S. passport renewal/extension in Munich

120 posts in this topic

Thanks so much for the information!  I feel better already:)

How long did it take before the new passport came?  Did you use the DHL envelope, or a regular one?

I think I read that the Aufenthalts sticker is valid till 2021, after which we´ll all have to have the card.  I haven´t figured out how to make an appointment for the card at the KVR though.  It seems you have to send them an email via their contact page and just hope someone gets back to you at some point.  No idea if the appointment is then negotiable, if they offer you one when you have no time.

The Germans didn´t complain when you showed your old and your new passport?  In January, when we came back from NY from Christmas vacation, the woman on duty acted as if she had never seen a sticker like I had and a bit irritated, asked where my card was.  And that was when my old passport was still valid!

I think mine came in 2 weeks. I don't remember all the details about envelopes, etc. I just followed the instructions on the Munich Consulate web page.

Tried getting an appointment at the KVR. No chance. My Aufenthalt sticker says "unbefristet". No expiry date. Where did you read that we will need one in 2021?

I've had no problems coming through passport control in Munich with both passports. They know that it is almost impossible to get a card. One time, I only showed my new passport, he swiped it and asked where my Aufenhalt was. I pretended that I forgot and handed him the old passport and he smiled and said Danke. I assume they have ALL of my information when they swipe the new passport and that is why he asked. I could have just been an American tourist.

Thanks again for writing back!:)

The information about the Aufenthalts stickers being good until 2021 is on the BAMF home page under Aufenthaltstitel.

I checked again and unfortunately, it seems true - our stickers will be invalid as of 31.08.2021.  So we will all have to get that appointment at the KVR somehow, no matter what.:(

" Die bisherigen Aufenthaltstitel in den Reisepässen und Passersatzpapieren behalten bis längstens 31.08.2021 ihre Gültigkeit."

Edit: I found it in English as well: "Existing residence permits in passports and substitute identity papers will remain valid until 31 August 2021 at most."

Lesen Sie hier die wichtigsten Änderungen des elektronischen Aufenthaltstitels.

"The electronic residence title (e-residence title) with a certified chip was introduced on 1 September 2011.

The existing residence permit (adhesive label), the residence card and permanent residence card, and the substitute paper identity card, are superseded by the electronic residence permit in credit card format.

The electronic residence permit has a contactless chip inside the card on which biometric characteristics (photo and two fingerprints), supplementary conditions (requirements) and personal data are stored. In addition, the chip can store electronic proof of identity. 

All EU Member States are obliged to introduce the electronic residence permit. The basis for this is EU Regulations no. 1030/2002 and no. 380/2008."

Here´s the link: http://www.bamf.de/DE/Willkommen/Aufenthalt/eAufenthaltstitel/e-aufenthaltstitel-node.html

Edit: I found the link in English, too! http://www.bamf.de/EN/Willkommen/Aufenthalt/eAufenthaltstitel/e-aufenthaltstitel-node.html

Scroll down, they have a big "Hinweis" square in green. It does seem this information unfortunately applies to us, as well, whether we like it or not. 

Sigh.  I always hated going to the KVR, and the last time was 10 years ago!  I´m sure it´s not any better now than it was then, probably even worse.:(

Oh, and after reading more in English on the BAMF page under FAQs, I find out that the new electronic residence titles will only be good for 10 years!  So we will constantly have to get them renewed and pay for that, like a passport:angry:

"How long is an electronic residence title valid for?

The validity depends on the type of residence title or the certification concerning the right to residence and the legal decision concerning residence made by the local foreign affairs office. In the case of indefinite residence titles, the use of the card is limited to a period of 10 years. A new electronic residence title must be issued at the latest after 10 years have elapsed."

http://www.bamf.de/EN/Infothek/FragenAntworten/eAufenthaltstitel/eAufenthaltstitel-node.html

Nice:angry:

Thanks for the info. I reckon I should be able to get an appointment by then. 

One thing I did find out when I was trying is that the smaller KVR close to Rotkreuzplatz doesn't do them or at least didn't do them then. Have to go enjoy the full Poccisstr. experience. Oh, how I have missed that.:blink:

As far as I can tell, we have to use the contact form on the KVR page to get an appointment for the card, we cannot go through the automated online appointment system.  I guess we have 3 years to get it sorted out...:ph34r:

Anyone maybe done it recently?

Yea, Himself did that already for me but no go. We'll try again in the winter.

I don't think they can make you have something that is nigh on impossible to get. All of the passport control people I have seen totally understand.

Well, we do have 3 more years of the sticker, so that´s good at least.  Maybe I´ll just call the KVR at some point.  Possibly - ha! - I can find out how to get an appointment on the phone.  (yeah, right, because they´re so helpful:lol:)

On 30.4.2018, 14:05:47, fraufruit said:

Thanks for the info. I reckon I should be able to get an appointment by then. 

One thing I did find out when I was trying is that the smaller KVR close to Rotkreuzplatz doesn't do them or at least didn't do them then. Have to go enjoy the full Poccisstr. experience. Oh, how I have missed that.:blink:

They buy used air from long haul passenger airplanes and re-use it in the waiting room there. And that is where I am off to today.!

Brilliant that our unbefristet Niederlassung permits need to be renewed...

'I can find out how to get an appointment on the phone.'

- Remember the line from Waynes World, '...and maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt?'

On 3.5.2018, 11:00:41, mako1 said:

'I can find out how to get an appointment on the phone.'

- Remember the line from Waynes World, '...and maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt?'

Hahaha:D

Hope it went well.  How did you get the appointment?

I wanted to give an update for anyone else heading to the embassy to renew their passport:

- The photo machine is indeed still there and accepts bills and coins.  It seemed to be working the day I was there, but I ended up going to a photo place in Pasing Arcaden, and told them the picture was for an American passport.  They were fine with this information and knew what to do.  The photo was accepted at the embassy, so all good.

- The security women at the gate said that I could have left my phone with them (I left it in the car.)  I did have to leave my keys with them, though, for which I got a laminated ticket to pick up later. In the car key is a battery and batteries aren´t permitted.

- Once I was in, there were only 3 or 4 people in the waiting room.  I waited about 35 seconds before being called over, at which point I discovered I had left my filled out application at home on the kitchen table.  Brilliant:wacko: But it wasn´t a problem, I explained and was given a smile and another form to fill out.

- I had the DHL prepaid Express Easy envelope with me, but a regular envelope and stamp would have been accepted as well.  They don´t have stamps for sale there.  A guy there didn´t have one and asked if anyone else happened to have an extra one.  I was able to help him out because I took stamps and pretty much everything with me to be on the safe side. (Yeeaah, just not the application.  Sheesh!:rolleyes:)

Altogether, the whole thing took about 20 minutes (also because I had to fill out the application there).  Once I handed that in, I waited a bit and then got called to a second window where I was told my application was perfectB) and I could expect the new passport in about 2 - 3 weeks.  That was it.

So all in all, it was a good experience!

I thought renewals happened by post. Is that just in Frankfurt? For passport photos, I've been taking them myself. The US seems to accept everything. They loved the picture I took of my two-week old for her passport. The Germans, in the other hand, had to check with superiors to see if it would be accepted. She's grinning sideways in the photo.

Even permanent residence cards expire, just like passports (proof of permanent citizenship) and the US permanent resident card (green card), because the data needs to be updated (photo, etc.).

13 hours ago, Long Island Duckling said:

Hahaha:D

Hope it went well.  How did you get the appointment?

By going there 6 or 7 months in advance, waiting with impatient russians and the rest of the unwashed masses (including yours truly) and getting told the next available appointment to submit documentation was in 6 - 7 months. No matter what, you wait to see someone who will schedule your next appointment (I was trying to einbürger, might be different for simpler tasks). Maybe you get lucky and get a direct email to someone who will take care of your documentation.

I'm gathering the documents for renewing my passport based off: https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-an-adult-passport/.

Though I've run into a problem with step 5:

"Bank Check or Counter Check
Bank check issued by a German bank in dollars drawn on a U.S. bank
(Bankscheck ausgestellt von einer deutschen Bank bezogen auf eine U.S. Bank in US-Dollar auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“

My bank, Commzerbank, told me that this would not be possible and that there was regulation against it. They told me to call the embassy/consulate to ask them what to do. I called the one in Frankfurt (no one answered) and Munich (and left a message). Was anyone able to get their bank to do this for them? 

No. This is why we end up doing it in person and not by post:

If applying in person for your passport renewal we also accept:

• Cash in U.S. Dollars or Euros (for payments in cash local currency is preferred)
  • Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover; no EC Cards are accepted

On 4/30/2018, 2:11:01, Long Island Duckling said:

As far as I can tell, we have to use the contact form on the KVR page to get an appointment for the card, we cannot go through the automated online appointment system.  I guess we have 3 years to get it sorted out...:ph34r:

Anyone maybe done it recently?

Yes, I tried to get an appointment for the electronic residency card and went through the laughable contact form.

And received very complicated instructions on how to work around a broken reservation system (they said so themselves).

Turns out all appointments are booked solid from now until the end of November (the end of the reservation calendar).

I'll just keep travelling with two passports.

12 minutes ago, Metall said:

I'll just keep travelling with two passports.

Custom officers of some countries don't like that: they think you are some kind of Jason Bourne ?.

Customs officers in other countries don't care if I have a German residency, so they don't get to see my old, invalid passport with the residency sticker in it.

Due to the difficulty of getting an appointment for the electronic card, countless expats in Germany are forced to travel the way I do.

How about 3 passports?!!

Many countries  say you must travel on the passport where you are a resident.