U.S. passport renewal/extension in Munich

120 posts in this topic

Bear in mind, this is from my experience, about a year ago

Do I have to give up my current passport to them and I will get it back when I pick up my new one or do they let you keep the old (still current until Feb 28) passport?

You can keep the old one until your new one is ready, but then you have to return to the consulate to pick up your new one. If you want them to mail you the new one, you must give them your old one.

Plus, do I really need the self-addressed and stamped envelope?

There is a stamp machine, as well as a photo booth (I forget if you can buy envelopes). Bring some 5 euro bills, as well as coins if you plan on using the machine. the stamp machine only gives change in "postal credit" or whatever.

Do I have to give up my current passport to them and I will get it back when I pick up my new one or do they let you keep the old (still current until Feb 28) passport?

Usually they will take your old PP when you submit your your new application, however let them know that you will need it

for travel, and I'm sure they ill let you keep it till your new one is ready.

Plus, do I really need the self-addressed and stamped envelope?

Only if you want them to mail it back to you instead of going back and picking it up..

I myself don't trust Deutsche post with High important documents like a PP and insist

on picking it up in person when its ready. Which will also be needed for you, as you

may have to turn in your old PP to get the new One.

It's not clear at all, I got the impression that Welshdragons son has an American passport, even though his parents are British. You only have to be born in America to get an American passport, where your parents come from is irrelevent.

absolutely right, middle child born in USA and despite having two British parents has his very own American passport and SS number...sorry for the tardy reply, didn't look back at the thread :ph34r:

Thanks for the replies guys. I was worried they would want to keep my old one while they are processing my new one. I need the old one (plus, my pic on the about to expire PP is fantastic - hate to give it up).

Just an update on my trip to the U.S. Embassy.

1) if you need to park, drive down the street that the embassy is on and park in front of the Haus der Kunst. It was free. Failing that you can park behind the museum for 3.50€

2) the photobooth costs 5€ for the two pictures you need

3) I had to forfeit my passport to them but she said it would only take a week.

4) definitely bring a stamped, self-addressed envelope. They prefer this because they have a hard time contacting people to pick up their passports

5) fill out the forms online before you go and print them out - saves a lot of time when you get there. The form you need can be found on the U.S. Embassy site or by Googling it

My experience was so painless. I got there at 12:50 and waited outside (2nd in line). Was allowed in, took a number, took the pics, my number was called immediately and I submitted my paperwork, paid 61€ ($75) with my credit card and left. Done in 15 minutes.

I just wanted to say that I renewed my passport at the Munich U.S. Consulate General. Aside from the massive fortifications complete with guards with assault machine guns, it was a pleasant and painless experience. The lady in the booth outside the consulate simply asked to see my passport and then she allowed me to go inside. I wonder what the US is afraid of... Germans are not exactly the violent protest types.

The photo machine worked fine. The first set of pictures were mug shots, but the second set turned out okay. It was my first time using a photo booth, so I needed a dry run. You are not permitted to smile for the photos.

For my German size photos, I have a nice lady at the photographer shop in Schwabing make them. She does a really nice job, and you can use them for CVs and social networking sites, as well. You can get unlimited reprints from her store for a small fee. She even applied make up to my face (I'm male) so my cheek did not shine. That's service. I have smiling and non-smiling ones for the Ausländerbehörde and the Russian consulate for visas. India accepts smiling photographs for visas. Brazil does, too.

Anyway... The people inside were polite and friendly, and the process took about 3 minutes once it was my turn. I did have to wait about 45 minutes, but no one can help that. I think I picked a bad time period right after the holiday season when the backlog hits. The women was even nice enough to ask if I would prefer a passport with extra visa pages to eliminate the need for extra pages to be added later. I agreed that would be a good idea. For anyone who travels to countries which require visas frequently, I highly recommend this option, as most visas tend to large, self-adhesive types which require an entire page.

I brought an envelope with postage attached, and they will send it to me when they are finished.

I applied for the U.S. passport card at the same time, as one may use U.S. Passport Card to apply for or renew a passport booklet. So the next time I need to renew my passport, I won't be left without a passport.

I made a photocopy of my passport and Niederlassungserlaubnis for the interim period. I know I am at the person's mercy if they accept it. I am not leaving the house more than absolutely necessary to reduce the chance that an official ask me for it. This has not happened yet in Germany, but it could. And, we all know that things happen when it is most inconvenient.

I applied for the U.S. passport card at the same time, as one may use U.S. Passport Card to apply for or renew a passport booklet. So the next time I need to renew my passport, I won't be left without a passport.

Hmm, even after I told her I would be travelling soon and would need my passport, she didn't off me this option. I wonder why?

Not sure kitkat64...

You would, of course, need to have a Passport Card presently in your possession in order to give up for the renewal process. Maybe the women was not aware that you already have a passport card. In that case, you could have given up your passport card for the renewal process and picked up the passport booklet when it was ready. I think you MUST pick up the new passport booklet at the consulate in this case because they stampt it cancelled and punch a hole in it before they give you the new one. So you would have to pick it up in person. Still, not a bad option, IF you already have a passport card.

I was thinking ahead to my next renewal. Once I have both passport documents, you can use one to apply for the other. So I will never again be passportless.

If you need to travel in an emergency, I think there is a process to get an emergency temporary passport from the consulate. I do not know the fee for this service, but I know there are issued in a few hours time, and usually are only valid for a year or less. I am not sure, if you can use them for all travel or if they only permit one to return the USA. My sister lost hers once, and she was able to get an emergency passport to return to New York without a problem. I think she had to reapply for a regular 10 year passport in New York using the regular domestic process, but she got married soon after that, but she then needed a new one anyway, as she decided to take her husband's last name.

Yes, I'm now passport-less. I was thinking about going skiing this weekend but will take a pass on it even though I have never been checked (who would check it?).

Also, if you want to have your name changed (marriage or divorce), you have to get a brand new passport. You do not get the stamp on the last page like you used to.

My renewed passport arrived today in the mail, less than two weeks after being at the consulate to put in my application. It definitely looks a lot different than the old one, and mine was only 5 years old!

I already posted this information somewhere before, but they are stopping their walk-in services and from March 2nd and onwards you must have an appointment for renewals. It was posted everywhere outside the consulate, and they included an information card in my envelope with the passport.

The photo booth works well, but you have to lean all the way back to take the photo. I took one set and they rejected them so I had to take another one. It wasn't so bad because it only costs 5 euros but it was a waste of money. They should move the chair inside the booth or at least put a bigger sign up. I know some people think you have to be stupid to not realize that the picture is being taken wrong, but I wasn't alone, both my friend and the other lady waiting for her number were standing next to the booth when I took it, making sure I had the right picture.

I was there at 15.00 and the wait time was 10 minutes, and there was only one other woman there when I came. The consular officer was leaving early so if you have to get anything signed by her it's probably a good idea to call or check a ahead of time to make sure she's there, or else you have to come back another day!

Went in last Tuesday and got the renewal in the mail in a week. My wife's made it to the apartment by Saturday (5 Days) Not to bad. They recommend 6 months before expiration.

Here's the latest.

1. Book on-line - appointments only.

2. Fill out paperwork before you go.

3. Photos - we took some at a Photobooth in the U-Bahn. I thought they were the wrong size but they were accepted anyway. If you want to wait they have a machine at the Consulate - 5 Euro. Get them done before you go into your appointment room.

4. Envelopes - make sure it's big enough for both passports (Old & new will be returned together) I took 3 X 55 cent stamps and put them on the envelope when I got there. They have a stamp machine there and you can pay for registered mail if you want.

5. $75, they take USD, Euro, Credit card, EC card

6. Day of appointment - Get there a little early. Security is like the airport - except the electronics won't be returned to you until you leave.

8. 15 Minutes total time at the Consulate.

Thanks. I will be there tomorrow with my two kids. So the photo machine at the Consulate was working on Friday? I am counting on it.

Hi,

Just did this today and wanted to update the thread, even though nothing has really changed from the information reported already.

1. Don't go to the consulate and expect to be seen. You'll be given a nice information card and sent the hell back home. Book your appointment online. The link to make an appointment (for passport services only!!) is https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=MUN&appcode=1. All other issues, book an appointment through the links on the right hand side of this page: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/munichacs/ Apparently, ignore the part at the top of the column which says "Appointment System Problems" and just click on the link; it should take you right through to the appointment scheduler. It took about 2 weeks to get an appointment.

2. Complete your DS82 form: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html (Note that if your emergency contact also lives in Germany with you that you cannot complete the form online but must instead print it out and manually enter the data.)

3. Print your completed DS82 form and bring it along with one passport photo done to these specifications: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/photo_requirements/ You can have the photo done professionally or take the photo yourself (there are special instructions for doing this at home). There is a passport photo machine in the consulate, the cost is still 5 Euros (coins or bills) but the machine needs to be serviced as the photo quality is terrible. Were I applying for a German visa, the photo would have been rejected as being too washed out.

4. You may not pay with personal check or EC card, only cash (Euros or US dollars accepted) or credit card. The current schedule of fees can be found here: http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/passport_payment/

5. Bring a paper book or magazine with you to read in case you have to wait. I cleverly brought along my iPod just in case I had to wait and then had to leave it with the guards at the front gate. No electronics (including mini flashlights), no mirrors (seriously), and no tweezers allowed in the building. Oh yeah, and none of that other dangerous stuff, either. But umbrellas seem to be okay.

6. Apparently they're using bomb blast doors now, so when you go through the guard building and into the main building really, REALLY pull on those bad boys.

One question, did they mail you your old passport along with your new one? I was at the consulate this morning and like so many others, I am now passportless... I need my old passport so that the Ausländerbehörde can see that I have a visa (Aufenthaltstitel) to give me one of the new electronic visas once I get my renewed passport back.

when i got mine renewed in may they said 2-3wks... but she also said that they have to say that... and that you should still normally get your PP in approx 1 wk.

how long in advance do you usually have to book your appointment? my boyfriend had to go in for an immigration visa last fall and he got an appointment within 2 days..i need to make an appointment for a passport renewal and all of june is already booked, but according to the calendar july isn't open for appointments yet..is that normal?

I just booked an appointment for a passport renewal, and the first time slot I could get was mid-June. The Consulate told me it would be faster to renew by mail (about 2 weeks).

Alternatively, you could have just gone to the US Dept. Of state website or the consulates webs site, where you can find the

answers to all the questions you asked. Another option would be to google it.. Don't be lazy and ask people to spoon feed the info

to you..

PS: Actually read those sites BEFORE you go, otherwise you may be in for a surprise at the security gate.