U.S. passport renewal/extension in Munich

94 posts in this topic

I am in panic mode: just realised that my US passport expired in January and I have to travel to US in 3 weeks.

I saw the US consulate website www.usembassy.de but did not find info on:

1 - renewal time

2 - things I need to bring them ( I guess at least my old passport and 2 or 3 US size recent pictures)

Is there anyone who has recently renewed her/his US passport in Munich ?

Thanks, t.

You don't even need to bring pictures, there is a photo-booth in the Consulate. Remember: No Smiling!

I got mine within about 10 days i.e. 6 working days, it was pretty quick. Tell them it's urgent, they might be able to speed it up. You can pay cash, EC or credit card (gratuitous info).

You don't even need to bring pictures, there is a photo-booth in the Consulate. Remember: No Smiling!

I would go further and say DON'T bring your own pictures. I did when I renewed my passport, and they were the wrong size. Just take them in the machine at the Consulate.

Yup, they can be fast.. I got the 10-15 days thing also.. I did the paperwork on a Thursday, got the reply card on Saturday, picked up the PP on Monday. No urgent services requested or paid for.

i think the pics costs €5 and you need coins or a bill. i know i posted my experience when i renewed my passport, but can't recall what i wrote. maybe I'll find it.

EDIT: found it: renewing us passport

Indeed there is a photo-booth which costs 5 EURO.

The problem is that the line is really slow: I got there at 1:30 (they open at 1pm) and got number 12 when they were at 2. After about 40 minutes they were at 4 :(

And I even found that someone else had also 12: the bloody machine where you pick you number prints it twice (the second ticket after a couple of seconds) and people just grab the first one.

I took another number and I was 15 ... I thought it was going to take 3 hours at that pace so decided to leave ... will mail it tomorrow.

Lessons learnt:

1. get there at 12:45 hoping to be within the first 3

2. make sure you get a new number from the ticket machine and destroy the second print.

t.

a few more tips:

bring an envelope with a 1.45 EURO stamp and your address on it

EC card no longer accepted

perhaps (not sure) you can find a form to fill with your credit card details and avoid a second queue (1/2 for me) at the cashier.

t.

anybody know if the process is the same if i just need extra pages added?

the good folks at the KVR have taken up about 5 of my passport pages with "ungueltig" stamps and now that it's time to renew the aufenthaltserlaubnis, want a clean page which i no longer have to put the sticker on (why they can't stick it over the wasted pages is beyond me.) they told me i need to go to the consulate and get new pages stapled in (is that really what they do??) has anyone ever done that?

anybody know if the process is the same if i just need extra pages added?

did you try to use the search feature on the top right? no? ah, okay... ;)

Adding New Pages to a Passport

bring an envelope with a 1.45 EURO stamp and your address on it

Does anyone know if this price is still valid? (for some reason I'm thinking its 1.50)

Do you really want to trust something as vital/important as a Passport to Deutsche post???

Stick with the postcard/pick-up option..

You don't even have to pick up your passport in person, I have picked them up for my brother and my boss (I work almost next door to the Consulate, handy). So much for entrusting an important document to the entitled person only ...

Sarabyrd - did you need an authorisation form from the passport holder (signed and dated) to do so?

I am American and my wife is German. Both our kids were born in Munich and we still have a flat in our name there (sub-let) and now we live in Ludwigsburg. Can our kids get U.S. passports in Munich, or do we have to go to Frankfurt?

Really? I always heard the Munich's Consulate (it is not an Embassy) accepted only local ex-pats, and directed all others to an Embassy.

From Website:

• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and First-time Passport Issuance applications are accepted by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment, please e-mail us at ConsMunich@state.gov with the applicant's full name and date of birth. Please also include your home address, phone number(s), and the best time to reach you.

We would prefer e-mail correspondence, but if you do not have Internet access, please call between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (Monday through Friday), and someone will assist you: (089) 2888-575.