Friday beer garden

6,877 posts in this topic

The Munich Friday Beer Garden group

Every week one of Munich's beer gardens is nominated as a meeting point for anyone to come along. Many English-speaking people meet there for social purposes. Anyone can use this information to meet their friends. You do not have to know anyone there. You do not need to book or reserve a place. Just come along if you feel like it. Cheers!

Note that this is the archived discussion topic.

Click for up-to-date info on the next Friday beer garden.

To subscribe to the mailing list send a blank email to: fridaybeergarden-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

A bunch of us are headed toward the Augustinerkeller Beergarten this Friday (23rd)

If you want to join us for a cool beer and chat to some new faces and some familiar ones, just come along.

I'll be there from 5:30pm on the self-service (long tables) near the trees about 8 rows in from the side gate. (Zirkus Kronestr.)

I'll put some balloons up so you can find us even if you dont know anybody. We'll have a bunch of tables. So the more the merrier! You don't need to book!

Take care.

Ian

0172 8227752

Friday 23rd from 5:30pm. Augustinerkeller is in Arnulfstr. 52. S-Bahn Hackerbrucke is nearby

This is one of my favourite beergardens and easy to get to...I'll be there...looking for balloons... :D

For our regular Friday beer garden this week we are going to the Hofbräukeller at Wienerplatz.

If you want to join us for a cool beer and chat to some new faces and some familiar ones, just come along.

Ian will be there from about 6pm an I will be there form just after 7pm.

Since Germany are playing Argentina at 5pm we have chosen a beer garden with a big screen so you can turn up and watch the match first then join the rest later in a different part of the beergarden. Be warned that in order to get a seat near the screen you will have to turn up early.

Ian will bring some red balloons so you can find us even if you dont know anybody. We'll have a bunch of tables. So the more the merrier! You don't need to book!

Take care.

Gwyn

Ian

0172 8227752

Friday 30th from 6pm. Hofbräukeller is am Wienerplatz. U-Bahn Max-Weber-Platz

Just a heads up that last time there was a Germany game, they place was completely packed hours before kick-off. In fact they "closed" the gates...nobody was able to come in once they reached capacity.

I doubt that at the time you scheduled that you have a chance of even finding one seat available. Germany is playing from five to seven. Last game I was there watching the game and you need to arrive by three to find a seat. Good luck, but I would suggest moving it to Saturday or move the time up or back.

Agreed; don't wish to poke the proverbial oar in, but a meeting at 6pm anywhere in a Munich beergarden on Friday, unless it is raining, will not necessarily be conducive to meeting new people, unless you don't mind a few thousand Germans!

Saturday is also football, England and later Brazil, so probably the same story, if perhaps to a lesser extent.

If you wish to avoid any form of crowd, Sunday would be the safest bet.

We did think about the various options before the location was chosen. I know that Hofbräukeller was busy last time Germany played, however taking into account the weather forecast I concluded that enough people will shy away from watching the football at a beergarden to allow us to get a seat.

We have chosen a place with an indoor option, how full it will be inside if it rains is another question.

We will be sitting outside drinking beer tonight at the Hofbräukeller, unless we can't get in or it is raining hard.

I can only suggest that if you want to meet up and have a laugh with us Friday beergardening lads and ladesses, take your mobile and give us a call if one of your gloomy predictions comes true.

Rumor has it the Cafe Haidhausen, across the street from Hofbraeukeller, has no TV's and has proclaimed itself a "football free zone." You can muster there when you run afoul of the gates at the HB Keller.

The weather forecast would have to call for a 100% chance of deluge (Plattregen) to keep the Muenchners out of the beer gardens tonight. As of now, there is absolutely no rain forecast.

It's not really a gloomy prediction, it's an acceptance of reality. I was at the Hofbräukeller for the Germany v Poland game. It wasn't just busy, it was absolutely jam packed. The gates were closed before the game kicked off, full capacity. Dozens were turned away. Granted they opened them after the match started but at that stage you could forget getting a table or a place to see the screen from. Yes, I agree with you that the weather looks dodgy but this is Germany against Argentina and therefore one of the most crucial games of the tournament. My managing director is wearing a Germany tricot and he doesn't even follow football. Even the Indians are getting excited about the thing and they're still trying to adapt to the general weather conditions.

Good luck anyway, hope you get a decent spot somewhere.

If the gates are closed I'll go inside and get a table or two there. If they are open I'll try to get some space away from the football so anyone can join me afterwards. (To celebrate or whatever!)

@CitizenSmith

I just happened to be walking my dog past the Hofbraukeller about 30 minutes ago, and there were alreadyallot of people staking out places to sit. I imagine that by 3:00 p.m., the place will be virtually full.

Quite a few other places in the area to try, but I'd recommend you go early and grab a table.

If the gates are closed I'll go inside and get a table or two there.

Mate, if you are still talking about around 6pm I really think you are being overly optimistic. The posts being made don't really reflect an understanding of how big this thing is. For your sake I hope I'm wrong.

Take the Muffathalle beer garden for the last German game. I arrived two hours before kick-off and the place was full. We were absolutely blessed to walk in just as one table half-cleared and grabbed some space. If you don't have a reservation somewhere I'd strongly suggest you go now.