Air conditioning is unheard of in Munich

152 posts in this topic

Are you talking about a split unit where the cooling unit is installed outside? We had to get permission from our landlord to have ours installed years ago. He gave us a decibel limitation but I forget what it was.

3 hours ago, sipapito said:

Anybody knows how quiet an air conditioning should be? What is considered too loud? I found a new one and they claim to be quiet for 60 db?

We own the condo.

Thank for the responses. 

60 db isn´t very quiet (IIRC that´s about the level of noise a car is emitting while driving, just to give you an idea).

we have a freestanding A/C unit in my office and it is DEAFENING

I hate A/C in the first place - give me an open window and at most, a fan, and I'm good no matter how hot it gets - but my workmate is the tender sort who demands this A/C unit "or else".  If it's even projected to be warm on a given day, no matter how warm it actually is in the office, he will turn it on full blast in a preemptive move.  It gets so cold I need a coat  or dead of winter-thick sweater to stay warm enough.  It's so obnoxious I don't even have words.

Anyway, when I leave work after a day of this, my ears are all screwed up for a couple of hours from the noise.  Please do take care with the noise limit on this kind of thing - it can be really disruptive and may well draw the ire of your neighbors who like to sleep with the windows open.

On 21/06/2006, 14:22:04, BadDoggie said:

Our building is designed like a fucking greenhouse. Idiot Germans and their constantly putting form before function. Yes, the building looks snazzy. It's peachy. It's also a fucking oven.

Whaddaya mean there's no air conditioning?!

So I have a fan set to high which is blowing my hair in my face and any loose paper off my desk. Current indoor temp: 32.4° and there'll be another three more months of this shit.

woof.

No better in Italy, visited last year and just died, seems they take after the germans, won't ever visit in the summer again. Oh we just put in a split system and the new ones are unbelievably quiet! Expensive, 2300 with VAT but oh so nice, sems to get more sensitive to the heat as you age or it's gotten warmer here. 

Inverter AC's are much quieter. But be careful with the numbers. You can have the quiest AC in the world but if the air flow is not clear, there will be noise caused outside the AC due to air flow.

Also the quality of the support is very important, as legs which are not properly isolated can make the AC propagate low frequency noise through the building structure.

I got one of the portable ones.  The cost is worth the few days per year when I use it, IMHO.  The connection to the window is very funky though.  It worked well enough in my old apartment, but now the output hose kinda flaps around in the breeze and often falls off.  

Any recommendation for a company near Munich to install a split system AC? Does the AC company also run the wiring to the fuse box or I need to first arrange an electrician? 

1 hour ago, scook17 said:

Any recommendation for a company near Munich to install a split system AC? Does the AC company also run the wiring to the fuse box or I need to first arrange an electrician? 

When we got ours installed, we just plugged into an existing outlet in the living room. Works a treat.

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

When we got ours installed, we just plugged into an existing outlet in the living room. Works a treat.

Well, the one I was interested in (https://geizhals.de/toshiba-seiya-set-ras-b05j2kvg-e-ras-05j2avg-e-a2729043.html?hloc=de) could actually run off a standard power plug as it does not draw too much power.

But looking at what's involved in a split system, I see you need power on the outside where the outside unit is based. There is actually a power socket on the wall where I'd like to put it, so you could run it off the plug socket and through the wall. Just like this install, I want a heating and cooling function. Toshiba made the quietest units I could find with a good energy rating.

16 minutes ago, scook17 said:

But looking at what's involved in a split system, I see you need power on the outside where the outside unit is based.

Nope, ours is plugged into the living room where the unit is located. The outside part works from that.

We have a large Giesskanne on the balcony where the water drips into. Just dump it once a day or less.

I just bought a portable A/C unit and a "door jacket" to port the hot air outside.  The door goes to a balcony, and we don't really have openable windows as such -- just doors to the balconies.  I do not look forward to having to use this thing but it's here.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯