Air conditioning is unheard of in Munich

152 posts in this topic

I never said there was anything wrong with this weather, I love it when it's warm enough after 23:00 to just wear a t-shirt outside.

My dog is learning to pant for Ireland though.

Just got a letter from my daughters school saying they have the choice to go home at 11:30 if the temperatures reach 27 degrees - so the little ones are hot at school too.

for those who have worked in spain or italy... do the offices all have air con there? i wonder.

Last time I worked in Madrid they didn't work during the hottest part of the day (12:00-15:00).

I lived in the Munich area for 8 years. I can count on one hand the number of days that were hot enough to need an air conditioner. The heat will not last. I assure you. Next year everyone will be bitching about how cold and rainy it is. That's typical summer weather in Germany. Not the heat.

That's balls, we often get great summers here but like you said we rarely get enough heat to justify A/C.

Cousin Wilbur sez jes' git drunk and git nekid !

My office doesn't have AC. Only our kitchen has. The solution seemed easy: I brought my laptop to work today. But, it turned out that it is forbidden (!) to use laptops at work. Temp. in my room is well over 30 C (computers working 24/7) and even Indian guys complain (which actually means it's REALLY hot!). Fans don't help (too hot already). And this asshole my boss is sitting in air-conditioned room and shouting at everyone because people don't get their job done!

I was thinking about AC unit, but it consumes power, so I might need to consult it with someone (boss?). Besides, the boss doesn't like the idea of someone working in as good conditions as he does.

Any suggestions?

Summer of 2003 was worse - July and August.

Y'know that Michela, the high pressure area, only lasted about 12-14 days. It seemed much longer.

and how many of you wear "lederhosen" or "dirndls" and are ACTUALLY Bavarian??

Just got a letter from my daughters school saying they have the choice to go home at 11:30 if the temperatures reach 27 degrees - so the little ones are hot at school too.

Man, where I come from in Australia it doesn't go under 27 degree's for 6 months of the freaking year. Our going home temperature was 45 degrees!

Cinema München turns off their air con at the start of the movie, presumably to save expense, and only keeps it on in-between shows (as it seems to me). Not a big deal if the the theater's pretty empty since it's dark inside, but it makes a big difference if there's a sizable audience. Can get stifling pretty quickly.

Ahhhhh, the AC just kicked on again in my office. We work in big rooms so we can control the temperatures. The guys in the next room are sweating their asses off with the windows open and the humidity at about 80%. I don't know about anyone else, but all of us in this room are working because we're not falling asleep from the heat.

FYI, it's not blowing so cold that it's like a meat locker, just enough to keep it comfortably cool.

I hate air conditioning. It's available in my office, but I don't use it unless the temperature goes above 35C. So I was basking in the heat the other day, and my Swiss colleague commented that she now understands how the British were so successful at expanding their empire to so many tropical countries around the globe. Or to quote Gilbert & Sullivan, "Mad dogs and Englishmen..." etc. Is it something in the British genes, or just British stoicism?

Today I relented though and put the AC on - not for myself, but I'm just worried that the heat may be too much for a couple of guitars that I have in a corner of the office.

Oooh, the screen background image on my Mac just changed (I have it set to change every minute) to show a wintry snow-covered landscape! Lovely - I'd love to rip all my clothes off and go and roll around in it! (And to think that only 4 months ago I was groaning every time that picture came up!)

Man, where I come from in Australia it doesn't go under 27 degree's for 6 months of the freaking year. Our going home temperature was 45 degrees!

I think South Africa (where I come from) and Australia have similar climates...needless to say my daughter will be staying at school 27 degrees or not.

It's also a balmy 29C in my office full of tropical plants and huge CAD machines. the office next to us just got new air conditioning system installed...but not us...

though, compared to the alternative (i.e. freezing my balls off...) I'm happy.

At least when it is cold you can cover up and stay warm. When you are too hot, stuck to your chair, your brain slows down, you start to make mistakes and have trouble concentrating. It's awful. And it's not like you can take clothes off or anything (unless you work in a special kind of office ;)).

Coming from North America, I have always worked in a/c offices, and they were c-c-cold, and I used to complain.

But now I see it was far better than sitting in your own pool of sweat all day for 8 or more hours, dehydrating becuase you can't physically drink that much water to compensate and generally feeling sick from the heat.

@all those who've been complaining about excessive heat

It's pitch dark outside and the storm is about to break - happy now? :angry: