Air conditioning is unheard of in Munich

152 posts in this topic

A/C isn't popular in most places in Europe. At least, not like it is in the States. Personally, I'd rather it be a little warmer instead of freezing my ass off as soon as I walk into a store or building of any kind. There's something wrong with having to wear a sweater in the middle of the summer because the A/C is on full blast. Germany doesn't get that hot, at least not consistently. Yeah, you'll be a little warm during the day, especially if there is no breeze, but compared to the endless winter we had this year, I'll take a little persperation any day.

Always incorporates ceiling fans.

no thats the western style buildings built in the third world. hint small windows. or the beamten-building near ostbahnhof. as far as i can remember the windmill on top controls air circulation.

mutajen, you're in the hospital now eh - get yourself some ice cubes put them on your wrist that should help. if not hit the morgue. they should have some refrigeration down there and the dudes are usually happy for the company.

okay, SHORTS ARE NOT GOING TO DO THE TRICK. it is HOT!!! sorry to yell, but i literally feel like i might puke. and following your logic, do you suggest that we don't really need heat in the winter... just put on a coat?? no, i don't think so. sorry, but this heat is making me cranky, and you tree huggers are pissing me off. also, is it just me, or does the image of a grown man soaking in a tub give anyone else the heebie jeebies? it's probably just a cultural thing... we americans are programmed to take showers.

Have a soak, you won't feel as up tight and cranky

Might I be the first to add, that it is not just hot, but f$#%^-ing HUMID! :angry: How I wish for the nice DRY desert heat!

Dry heat is still bloody hot when it's 130 farenheit. Been there, done that, got the pics of the thermometer to prove it. This is infinately better.

Went for a lovely swim in the Ammersee before work this morning and will go for another one this evening. Pity about work in between though.

I was thinking about that this morning, but went with jeans

Big mistake, if I may say so. Too thick and uncomfortable in this heat; you'd be much better off wearing loose cotton trousers.

As 'Investors in People' my company recognises the need for employees to adapt and dress accordingly in the hot ambient office environment. Since the heatwave began each employee has been issued with a skimpy thong adorned of their respective nation's World Cup colours. Mine is chafeing somewhat but it is nice and cool.

Roll on Friday - dress down day!

What, you leave off the strings on Friday?

Lemme tell you about our office building: It has central heating (of course), water-cooled ceilings and sensor-powered blinds.

a) heating

Past winter we alternated between freezing (16°C) and sweltering (27°C). The house admin said that we had misadjusted the thermostat and we should stop complaining and get it right. We insisted that they send someone around to check the heating system, and by golly, they had set the temperature too low on the furnace (16°C), or they had neglected to shut the valves on our heaters in various rooms (27°C).

b ) ceilings

This Monday we called and said that the cooling system was not working. They told us that we should close all the windows and stop complaining, the cooling system kicks in automatically. On Tuesday afternoon they sent a guy around to measure the temperature in the various rooms (23°C, but we had had ventilators running all day long - using our electricity), and he mentioned en passant that the house admin had realized that the cooling system had been emptied of water before the frost period - and not refilled. When we mentioned that to the house admin today the guy hit the ceiling and asked who the hell told us that.

c) blinds

They are supposed to roll down when the sun reaches a certain level of lux and roll up again when the level drops. They also roll up when a certain wind speed is reached. Instead, they roll down erratically in various rooms at various hours of the day regardless of the sunlight and roll back up again about half an hour later regardless of the sunlight/wind. All this of course using electricity for which we will be charged in the Betriebskostenabrechnung (general operating expenses).

Best of all, every time we call we are told that of all the offices in the buildings we are the only one that has these issues, which is absolutely untrue. All of the offices have them, the landlord relies on us not contacting each other.

P.S. It is cooler today, seems they remembered to refill the water tank.

:rolleyes: Kay, with some of us blokes it's a choice between jeans, jeans and jeans

sorry, but this heat is making me cranky, and you tree huggers are pissing me off.

:P

but i kick them first to make sure there are no squirrels in the holes.

na seriously... a/c isnt neccesary. just dress for the weather, drink lots of water. but if your american fuck it use four times the energy than anyone else on the planet and force idiot fools like myself to wear a winter jumper in a mall in the dessert. :)

i should just add, i'm imagining you all sitting around in your underpants tapping away at TT. carry on.

ps: does anyone know if cinema has ac?

it's probably just a cultural thing... we americans are programmed to take showers.

Are we? Are baths uncultured then? Wee Mun is right, a handwarm bath cools you off faster and more durably than a shower.

signed, a true-blue American

i should just add, i'm imagining you all sitting around in your underpants tapping away at TT. carry on.

ps: does anyone know if cinema has ac?

shorts and underpants dear but if the thougt keeps our pulse above dead then carry on. and yes cinema has ac.

yes, it's warm out, but it could be worse! geepers people! granted i have no clue how warm is warm for the summer here, but both the heat and humidity could be heaps worse.

if you people are that warm feel free to come chill in my bedroom- it's freezing in there and def noticably cooler when you go from outside into the house then downstairs then further into my rom. :)