Air conditioning is unheard of in Munich

147 posts in this topic

Um, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that it's pretty damn hot here?? And yet, it seems like air conditioning is unheard of. I work at a hospital, and I would think they'd have central A/C if only for the sake of the patients. What gives??? Is this normal in Munich, or is the place I work at just behind the times? As if it weren't hot enough outside, we've got all sorts of machines running which heat the place up even more. This is inhumane! How am I expected to work under these conditions? I'm not sure I would have moved here if I'd known it was going to be this hot :unsure:

I doubt my reply will be of any comfort, but last year you'd have been complaining about non-stop rain and cold temperatures

in the middle of summer. ;)

Sat in an office with lots of computer aided design workstations and it's very definitely betty swallocks in here and yes this is normal in Munich, only surefire cure is a visit to the beer garden :P

Hmmm, well to be honest, I'd rather have no air conditioning, our office is bloody freezing...

I just popped out a few minutes ago to get something to eat and nearly collapsed, the temperature difference is unbelievable, abot 90% of the workers in the office are sniffing and sneezing, because of the A/C...

Our building is designed like a fucking greenhouse. Idiot Germans and their constantly putting form before function. Yes, the building looks snazzy. It's peachy. It's also a fucking oven.

Whaddaya mean there's no air conditioning?!

So I have a fan set to high which is blowing my hair in my face and any loose paper off my desk. Current indoor temp: 32.4° and there'll be another three more months of this shit.

woof.

This phenomenon is just beyond my comprehension. We are supposed to be living in a civilized society. It makes no sense to me that people find this heat acceptable and see no need to install a/c. I'm going on strike!

O2 is okay, AC is through chilled pipes, so not sniffing either. Problem is at home, need to buy a fan!

The advantage of the home office - working topless. Especially as a girl.

Stuck in the office today though (though not for long :) )

We apparently have AC but it's automatic and we can't change anything, nor do we have any windows to open. So I've resorted to a fan on my desk too. Guess it's harder in a hospital if you have to move around and see patients. Or you could get one of those battery-operated portable ones!

Climate control is the answer, heat when it's f***ing cold in the winter and AC when it's sweltering in the summer. But hey let's be German and just shut the blinds and keep the windows closed (don't want to catch a draft now do we!).

Got any pics of your office and attire ? Just for research purposes obviously :ph34r:

keep the windows closed

If it's warmer outside than in then that makes sense to me.

Guys,

You should stop complaining I'm back in blighty (UK) and for one the weather is pretty pooh (edited the sun has come out for a few minutes) and when it wasn't last week there is no Air Conditioning on the Metro and Trains. It's doesn't make for a pleasant trip to the Airport. I'm a sweaty B at the best of times anyhow, so in hot temperatures I end-up swimming in my shirt. It can be highly embarrassing if I take my jacket of during the Security checks or having to sit next to people on the plane!!!

So if you think the AC is bad in Munich come to London. T

There are posters in the Tube advice people for Health and Safety to bring a bottle of Waters. I heard in one News report that it gets to 85F (I think that is about 35c)...

The refrain is since it's not so hot normally in the UK it doesn't pay too install AC on buses, and trains. Or that the Victorian Metro doesn't have the space to install AC.

Stuck in the office today though (though not for long )

Might just fuck it off and sit here in my boxers all afternoon...oh no I dont work from home by the way.

If it's warmer outside than in then that makes sense to me.

Not if you're on the shady side of the building and there's no fan, in that case, any air is good air. Oh but to feel a breeze...