Odd news

1,530 posts in this topic

Swiss Accidently Invade Liechtenstein

Zurich, Switz., 3 Mar, 2007 - What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein. According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

post-13703-1172912034.jpg

Swiss soldier

One of only 12 of the Bugatti Veyrons has had a crash in England. The thing that made it odd for me is this comment: Surrey Police said the luxury car was driven by a man who had a male passenger with him. Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Got this from the Galway Advertiser

"A man who was found dressed in latex and handcuffs brought a donkey to his room in a Galway city centre hotel, because he was advised “to get out and meet people,

I read this five times and still don't know if the Süddeutsche Zeitung knows something we don't or if they are just plain ignorant:

Baby von Mexiko in die USA entführt

Lubbock - Einen Tag nach seiner Entführung aus einem texanischen Krankenhaus ist ein neugeborenes Baby gesund aufgefunden worden. Das vier Tage alte Mädchen wurde am Sonntag im benachbarten US-Staat New Mexico entdeckt, wie die Polizei in Lubbock mitteilte ... AP

Quelle: Süddeutsche Zeitung

Nr.59, Montag, den 12. März 2007 , Seite 9

So, get the headline: Baby abducted from Mexico to the US. Then: One day after being kidnapped from a Texas hospital a newborn baby has been found in good health. The four-day-old girl was discovered on Sunday in the adjacent US state New Mexico, according to the Lubbock police. Ummm, it's been a while since Texas was part of Mexico.

Got this from the Galway Advertiser

<snip>

He was fined €2,000 for bringing the donkey to the room under the Unlawful Accommodation of Donkeys Act 1837. Other charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. "

I don't know what worries me more, the fact that the guy did this, or the fact the Ireland has a Law called "Unlawful Accommodation of Donkeys Act 1837" that can be used in these situations. (perhaps it is still on the books in the UK too?).

edit: turns out this is a joke story , oh well...

Could make quite an intersting story by deliberately misquoting:

...ambassador to El Salvador ...was found drunk and naked apart from bondage gear.

Reports say he was able to identify himself to police only after a rubber ball had been removed from his mouth.

The incident, which happened two weeks ago, has renewed calls for a radical overhaul of the way Israel appoints and promotes its diplomats.

Village Toilet Held for Ransom

EADT - March 16, 2007: Residents in Westhall, near Halesworth, have been baffled by the disappearance of the white porcelain loo, which had proved something of a talking point in the village. The toilet was found in a nearby ditch a fortnight ago and since then it had taken pride of place in the centre of a 'T' junction, filled with flowers and a St George's flag. But yesterday, just as it about to feature on BBC Radio Suffolk, the toilet went missing. It is now being held to ransom.

post-9625-1174259491.jpg

The ransom text message for the return of the Westhall toilet.

Keith Richards: 'I snorted my father'

LONDON -

Keith Richards has acknowledged consuming a raft of illegal substances in his time, but this may top them all. In comments published Tuesday, the 63-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist said he had snorted his father's ashes mixed with cocaine.

"The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.

"He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."

Greetings from Jerusalem. :o

BBC News

Nelson Mandela has said he was not offended that a councillor "blacked-up" to attend a fancy dress party as the former South African President.

Brian Gordon, a councillor in Barnet, north London, was reported to the Commission for Racial Equality.

But a spokeswoman for Mr Mandela said he thought the prank was quite funny, only commenting that the councillor's choice of shirts was "rather awkward".

The best bit - the bloody great big badge with "Nelson Mandela" written on it.

*howls with laughter*

post-356-1175674334.jpg

PS Since when has Sin been on Barnet Council?

Dentist Denies Urinating in Sink

BBC Wednesday, 4 April 2007 - A dentist accused of urinating in a surgery sink before seeing a patient has said he was "cleaning his teeth" as part of his normal routine.[...]

Following evidence given earlier by dental nurse Claire Pygott, who said she saw the dentist using a surgical sink as a toilet, Mr Hutchinson said he had cleaned the surgery X-ray machine, which he said would normally have a strong smell of ammonia - similar to urine - when washed.

post-13703-1175721536.jpg

And...

Belgium to Impose Tax on Barbequing to Fight Global Warming

BRUSSELS, April 3 (RIA Novosti) - The government of Belgium's French-speaking region of Wallonia, which has a population of about 4 million, has approved a tax on barbequing, local media reported.

post-13703-1175720752.jpg