Getting a German driver's license

220 posts in this topic

I have a very specific question so I am not sure anyone can answer it but i'll give it a go ;) I need to get my drivers license, I can already drive and have taken the test and failed a couple of times in Ireland. In a few months I will move to Spain, I am wondering should I wait and do the test there or do it here in Germany before I leave. From what I have read you can do the test in English in both countries, I was more thinking of costs and pass rate.

Thanks

I drove on a good license in the US for many, many years. I had to take the computer test here in Germany, but not the driving part, due to the state exchange laws here. I am not stupid, but I had to study for the German test for many months as there are over 800 possible questions on the test and even missing two or three would mean failure. The questions can be technical about your car or common sense about driver safety. I took the test in English. You must also get an eye exam and pass a First Aid course. Not sure what is required in Spain.

With all that said, if you have failed before, then you probably need to give yourself more time to study for the license here. Breezing thru it is not an option. At least, it wasn't for me.

Good luck in Spain.

23 minutes ago, razzkazz said:

I have a very specific question so I am not sure anyone can answer it but i'll give it a go ;) I need to get my drivers license, I can already drive and have taken the test and failed a couple of times in Ireland. In a few months I will move to Spain, I am wondering should I wait and do the test there or do it here in Germany before I leave. From what I have read you can do the test in English in both countries, I was more thinking of costs and pass rate.

Thanks

I have no idea about the possibility to have lessons in one country and pass the test in another country. I can only tell about Germany: not possible. As soon as you reside in Germany, you can't get a license in any other country, it will be invalid in Germany and you risk a hefty fine if caught. You are not the first person practicing driving license tourism. It's illegal.

If you move to another EU country, you can use your license from Spain or Ireland, no problem.

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I have no idea about the possibility to have lessons in one country and pass the test in another country. I can only tell about Germany: not possible. As soon as you reside in Germany, you can't get a license in any other country, it will be invalid in Germany and you risk a hefty fine if caught. You are not the first person practicing driving license tourism. It's illegal.

If you move to another EU country, you can use your license from Spain or Ireland, no problem.

If he resides in Germany with a Spanish license, it is actually valid, so if he happened to move to Spain, legally get a license there (as a Spanish resident!) and move back to Germany should work.

The illegal scenario is to try to get around license rules, an example would be getting a license in Spain while being still a resident of Germany. 

47 minutes ago, razzkazz said:

Thanks

The tests are administered by different people, so it's extremely unlikely that its result would be accepted. But in general I think the preparation costs are higher in Germany because you actually learn more – so if you have time and money that's not a bad idea to pass the test here.

2 hours ago, ilyann said:

The tests are administered by different people, so it's extremely unlikely that its result would be accepted.

It's not about people, but rather about the fact that traffic rules as well as safety approach differ in Europe.

https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/ratgeber-verkehr/verkehrsrecht/ausland/

Some countries have quite lax driving/theoretical tests (and high rate of fatalities), another ones are more strict. The EU allows driving license recognition but at the same time member states are allowed to prevent most Germans from driving on Hungarian licenses.

Hi All

Thanks for all the tips. I am not trying anything illegal. Maybe I didn't explain myself that well :) I was just wondering whether I should get lessons and do the test in Germany or wait until I go to Spain and do that. It was a long shot but I wondering if anyone had experience of both systems.

Thanks

1 minute ago, razzkazz said:

Hi All

Thanks for all the tips. I am not trying anything illegal. Maybe I didn't explain myself that well :) I was just wondering whether I should get lessons and do the test in Germany or wait until I go to Spain and do that. It was a long shot but I wondering if anyone had experience of both systems.

Thanks

Ah so. I misunderstood you because you wrote that in a few months you move to Spain. That is too short for Germany. Do it in Spain.

1 hour ago, razzkazz said:

Hi All

Thanks

Get some good driving lessons so you can pass the test!  You  say you can drive, but why do you fail?   Driving in Germany and Spain can be a different experience to Ireland, so  concentrate on a good course. Germany will give you a good course.

second what RedMidge says - if you have enough money to fund at least some practical German lessons, then it is money well spent. I did 4 tests in 2 sets 10 years apart in different cities in the UK (having had a few starter lessons from my Dad, cannot believe that is legal in the UK, what with him squashed in the foot well so that he wouldn't be seen by anyone he knew as I stalled at a very busy roundabout in the town centre, thanks Dad, good skills). When we came to Germany I eventually started driving here, and was very thoroughly prepared by a great instructor - we didn't share much vocabulary, but most of it is obvious and we managed. I passed first prod - the instructor sits next to you and the examiner at the back - how nice is that! Driving in the dark is mandatory, and driving on the motorway. It's just brilliant. And expensive.:o

OK, maybe I will wait until I get to Spain. I failed before due to silly mistakes, lack of observation and such. Also the testing system in Ireland is run by the mafia :D

Does anyone know if the those little passport photo booths littered around Berlin will suffice for the driver's license photos, too?

1 hour ago, Fritsen said:

Does anyone know if the those little passport photo booths littered around Berlin will suffice for the driver's license photos, too?

If it says its passport compliant, then it will also be driving licence compliant, yes.  

Can anyone recommend a good recent resource to practice for the English theory test? i saw hear apparently there are over 1000 questions now...

cheers

I used http://www.fahren-lernen.de/ I paid 58 Euro through my driving school (German book, English online version) but it costs more if somebody is not registered at the school. I have just checked and my version had 1049 questions and apparently some questions are going to change from 01 October (I think this happens regularly, it also happened as I was preparing form my exam).

FYI for Berliners, the burgeramt on Sonnenalle in Neukolln still takes walk-in applications. I was in and out in 30 minutes. Very friendly.

I can also vouch for the farhen-lernen app.  I studied using this app quite a bit, but during my test only missed one question on the auto and moto theory tests.  

The questions in the app are the same as on the test (although as others have pointed out, some of the questions on the auto test change as of Oct 1).

People should also be aware that a self-study app might not be enough to allow them to take the written test:  when I tried to take the moto test, DEKRA informed me that I had to have a certificate showing that I'd take ten moto theory classes at the fahrschule to be able to take the written test.

For some reason I didn't need this certificate for the car test; I'm not sure why, but I think it depends on whether you only need to to take the written test (like me for the car test) or if you need to take the written and practical tests (like me for the moto test).

Hi - I have a full Irish driving licence and have now been living in Munich for one year. I would like to get a German licence. Can someone please advise how I go about doing this?? Thanks! Stephen