Getting a German driver's license

220 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

That’s the reason I still have the old paper license; no expiration. 

Please read:

and see here for the deadline up till when you have to exchange your old licence for a new one, taken from this Focus article: https://www.focus.de/auto/fuehrerschein-umtauschen-bis-zu-diesem-datum-muessen-sie-ihre-papiere-umtauschen_id_5720898.html

unbenannt.jpg.fc4ce487aee00b718fc4bf5d49

unbenannt2.jpg.a2c297df072ad269ec477400b

You were born in 1970 --> you have to exchange it by 19. January 2023.

Wow. I didn’t know that. It seems I have just under six years left. 

My in-laws still have the really old grey ones, probably 1959-1964. Wonder if they know that. 

24 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Driving with expired license is a 15 euro ticket unlike driving without entitlement to drive which is a crime.

The fine probably depends on how long the driver is driving with an expired license or not? If it expired, let's say, more than 1 year ago the fine will be higher. 

14 minutes ago, Guest said:

My in-laws still have the really old grey ones, probably 1959-1964. Wonder if they know that. 

Remind them in 2032.

B)

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Remind them in 2032.

B)

oh. I missed it being Geburtsjahr and not Austellungsdatum. 

Hallo,

I'm a bit confused about the process and in which order things can be done. Maybe someone knows and is able to clarify. (I sent an email to the driving school but they haven't bothered to answer)

I have my passport, passport photos, vision test certificate and first aid course certificate. Now I got an appointment at some goverment office for something (Führerscheinmeldung, fuhrerscheinstelle, I don't know what this is called??) which is like 6 weeks from now (ridiculous.. I know..)

Now what is unclear to me, can I already begin to take the lessons at the driving school or not? 

I will go to the driving school later trying to make them explain how this works but if someone was able to give an overview that'd certainly help.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, pangmao said:

Hallo,

I'm a bit confused about the process and in which order things can be done. Maybe someone knows and is able to clarify. (I sent an email to the driving school but they haven't bothered to answer)

The process is completely dependent on the nationality (and even the state e.g. in the US). You don't give any necessary information, your profile states "Europe" as nationality ... 

12 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

The process is completely dependent on the nationality (and even the state e.g. in the US). You don't give any necessary information, your profile states "Europe" as nationality ... 

So the question was when a person can begin at the driving school, before or after they receive some piece of paper from the registration office. You're saying that this depends on person's nationality...?

29 minutes ago, pangmao said:

So the question was when a person can begin at the driving school, before or after they receive some piece of paper from the registration office.

What piece of paper are you talking about? 

29 minutes ago, pangmao said:

You're saying that this depends on person's nationality...?

No, I'm saying that the process is completely dependent. Some nationals don't need to go to the driving school at all.

What is you nationality?

32 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

What piece of paper are you talking about? 

No, I'm saying that the process is completely dependent. Some nationals don't need to go to the driving school at all.

What is you nationality?

Yeah, that's just really not what I was asking. I already *know* that I need the driving school.

That is incorrect! Nationality doesn't play a role in DL exchange procedures, the country of issue (US State, province of Canada etc) does.

It doesn't matter if holder of driving license of California is Chinese or French national!

Now what is unclear to me, can I already begin to take the lessons at the driving school or not? 

Sure. You can start taking lessons even without applying for DL authority (for example, because you already have a license and want to refresh)

Some nationals don't need to go to the driving school at all.

Belgians who owned a car prior to 1967 (there was no license at all before that date). All others, including Belgians, do need a school.

So it seems that @pangmao is talking about getting the license from scratch.

Here is my take on the process:

When you apply for the license you need to submit information about your driving school + test location. You get this information from your driving school.

So, it is best to decide on a driving school before your appointment at the Führerscheinstelle.

The Führerscheinstelle issues the permission to take part in the theoretical and pratical driving tests. They have nothing to do with you taking lessons at the school.

So you can start with lessons (usually a driving school would want you to start with theoretical lessons first), before the Führerscheinstelle is done with their part.

After the Führerscheinstelle issues the permission you have 12 month to pass the theoretical exam. After you passed the theoretical exam you have 12 month to pass the practical exam. Of course to be allowed to take part in the practical test you need to complete all requiered driving lessons.

15 minutes ago, vronchen said:

So it seems that @pangmao is talking about getting the license from scratch.

Here is my take on the process:

When you apply for the license you need to submit information about your driving school + test location. You get this information from your driving school.

So, it is best to decide on a driving school before your appointment at the Führerscheinstelle.

The Führerscheinstelle issues the permission to take part in the theoretical and pratical driving tests. They have nothing to do with you taking lessons at the school.

So you can start with lessons (usually a driving school would want you to start with theoretical lessons first), before the Führerscheinstelle is done with their part.

After the Führerscheinstelle issues the permission you have 12 month to pass the theoretical exam. After you passed the theoretical exam you have 12 month to pass the practical exam. Of course to be allowed to take part in the practical test you need to complete all requiered driving lessons.

Great, this is exactly the information I was looking for! Thanks!

I know this probably varies by region, but does anyone have a general answer for the minimum time TUV either requires between taking the theoretical and practical test, or some experience with how long it take to get an appointment with TUV for taking the practical test ( i.e, are they backlogged with a waiting list or do they generally have appointments up for grabs)?  (in the summer, like now)

danke

It's been little over 2.5 months since I had my appointment to apply for the foreign drivers license exchange. The lady was not clear on when I should go to the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde to pick it up (She said anywhere between 1 to 3 months) so I plan on going tomorrow morning. 

I checked the website - https://service.berlin.de/standort/121646/ - and it is supposed to be open from 7:30 AM to 12 PM tomorrow morning. Has anyone recently gone to this office to pick up their license? 

Wow, this is crazy:

Antrag auf Umschreibung (ausl. Führerschein, Dienstführerschein)

Hi everyone,

I have tried to find similar post by searching in the forum however couldn't find any relative post. I hope anyone can give me any idea for my case.  

I am a Turkish citizen and I came to Germany 2 years ago with my student visa. I am still a master student and I decided to exchange my current Turkish driving license to a German one. 

I have delivered my documents (eye-test, first-aid certificate, Old driving license and its translation, photo etc.) to my driving course on 17th of June and I have transferred the "Umschreibung" fee to my city KFZ on 25th of June. Since then, I am waiting Police to confirms my Turkish driving licence. It has been 5 months and whenever I ask to person in KFZ, she says "You need to wait." At first, she said the police officer was in Urlaub for a month, then he became krank again for a month(in the middle of August) and now they don't even say any reason. They just say it may take some time. The funny thing is one of my friend who is also Turkish has applied for the same process after me and he received his confirmation only in 3 weeks. He even registered for the theory exam, waited a month, and now he will take the exam within this week. 

My question is if anybody also experienced such cases with his/her conversion/exchange process. Or I wonder if anyone can lead me to solve this as soon as I can. I am exhausted and I don't understand what might cause to such delay from my side or their side, but most important I really need a valid driving licence to work properly otherwise I will also continue to suffer from lack of money.

I have also asked to KFZ if I can talk with responsible police officer but KFZ refused it while it is their internal process. I am thinking to talk with a lawyer however I am not sure if it will be useful because I have no idea about the maximum time that this examination of current driving license process can take. Eventually, I was hoping that someone in this forum let me know if I can do something and let them move to the next step.

Any idea, comment will be appreciated.   
Thanks to all! 

I had my appointment to transfer my license back in September 2020 here in Berlin. my German license finally arrived yesterday. Jun 2021. talk about slow, i'd basically given up on it ever arriving. in the meantime, my foreign licence expired back in January 2021! so I had no valid license for the better part of 6 months.

Luckily I haven't needed to actually drive anywhere, and don't own a car.

:blink: