Getting a German driver's license

220 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2017, 8:25:50, Thormein said:

Holy cow!!

On 10/18/2017, 2:31:30, TurMech said:

I passed mine last week as well. Although I did my best to drive as slow as possible, at the end I was warned that I was driving a bit fast :) .

I also would like to add that cost of this umschreibung was above my expectations. It costed me a total of 963 €. Sehr teuer :( .

Wow! 963 is teuer indeed. My total expense was: 

55 euros for translation

45x2 for practical classes

29 euros for theory test

192 euros for practical test. A grand total of 366 euros (approx)

11 hours ago, vivekm said:

55 euros for translation

29 euros for theory test

What I see missing here are the "Grundbetrag", which is the fee paid to get yourself enrolled to the fahrschule, "Antragsgebühr" paid for the official application to the traffic office, first aid, eye test, biometric photo, and the amount paid for purchasing the cell phone app to study for the theoretical exam.

But still your expenses are lower!.

19 hours ago, vivekm said:

55 euros for translation

29 euros for theory test

Are you an EU/German citizen? He is not.

I was caught as well, driving with a Ca license.

Filled out all the paperwork, met with the police officer (very understanding)

I had already tried to right the situation.  On 1 Saturday, completed the first Aid course, eye test and photo.  On Friday went the Inlingua for the translation (ADAC too much and too long), Got the stamp from the Farshule on my paperwork, went to the Rat house for the living here document.  I took (recommended) all my paperwork to the Landkries myself.  I had to pay 41.60 and she gave me a receipt to bring the Fahrshule.  I got a book to study the Rules and and in combination an online program all in English.  I am ready to take the test.  I called the Fahrshule and they are waiting for something from TIF?  I will contact my friend who is a Police Officer to see if he can come with me tomorrow to find out what the hold up is.  Any ideas?

Is the a minimum number of lessons needed?  I have been driving here for a long time, I know the rules.  10 -2 and look over the shoulder, slower then normal.  I have the right way down.  Speed is of the essence to get this completed.  So any help would be useful.

15 minutes ago, David Shaw said:

I called the Fahrshule and they are waiting for something from TIF?

TIF? Do you mean TÜV? I did a termin at TÜV myself, just got some papers from Fahrschule and arranged exam date myself at TÜV. It seems, in your case they are sparing your time and do everything themselves. Just patience.

17 minutes ago, David Shaw said:

Is the a minimum number of lessons needed?

No.

17 minutes ago, David Shaw said:

I have been driving here for a long time, I know the rules.  10 -2 and look over the shoulder, slower then normal.  I have the right way down.  Speed is of the essence to get this completed.  So any help would be useful.

Then good luck. But first you have to pass theoretical test, and then you will be able to take practical exam (date arranged by Fahrschule since you use their car).

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

TIF? Do you mean TÜV? I did a termin at TÜV myself, just got some papers from Fahrschule and arranged exam date myself at TÜV. It seems, in your case they are sparing your time and do everything themselves. Just patience.

No.

Then good luck. But first you have to pass theoretical test, and then you will be able to take practical exam (date arranged by Fahrschule since you use their car).

Hello

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you think I can go to TUV myself?

Speed is of the essence

If anybody wants an English Roadbook after I pass my test, I am sure we can find a agreeable sum.  I have the online reg as well

2 hours ago, David Shaw said:

Hello

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you think I can go to TUV myself?

Speed is of the essence

Well, it definitely doesn't hurt to visit them and ask about the status of your application. It is possible that they just do not have free places now, so you need to wait a bit.

I think TUeV need to get your paperwork or something before you can make an appointment yourself. That's how it was in Frankfurt. I think I had to wait about four weeks, but don't remember. I wrote my story in this thread maybe, or another one about driver licenses.

Would this be the place?

I thought is was a car inspection place?

TÜV Service Center Fulda 
Car inspection station in Fulda, Germany

Address: Kreuzbergstraße 42, 36043 Fulda
Hours:
Open today · 8AM–5PM

I don't know which one it is. There's this too:

TÜV Hessen Begutachtungsstelle für Fahreignung Fulda
Bahnhofstr. 26 (Einkaufszentrum Centhof, 2. OG, Treppenhaus A)
36037 Fulda

Thanks. I will go visit them tomorrow.  That on is much close just need to find it

Still no luck.  I think I will have to wait for the driving without a license case is settled first.

Got the reply from the prosecutor fine 600 Euros.  Not good but thought it would have been higher.

Still can't take the test, driving school waiting for paperwork

Maybe I can hijack this thread a bit.

My German license has an expiration date.

What happens after the expiration date ? Do I just need to change the picture and get a new license ?

Yes. You will only be able to get a new license if you are registered in Germany. If you move to other country take care to swap it for that country license before expiration date.

Just now, fraufruit said:

AFAIK, there is no testing involved but I got that from an old article.

Sure. Fahrerlaubnis is valid indefinitely.

Driving with expired license is a 15 euro ticket unlike driving without entitlement to drive which is a crime.

That’s the reason I still have the old paper license; no expiration.